Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2020 9:27:13 PM EDT
TS USA listing

Anyone have any info? If this TSX renamed? Or a tweaked TSX load? Or a clean slate kinda thing?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
TS USA listing

Anyone have any info? If this TSX renamed? Or a tweaked TSX load? Or a clean slate kinda thing?
View Quote

Our Dual Performance™ line features a monolithic machined copper projectile that immediately begins expansion upon impact forming a temporary cavity exceeding the capability of conventional bullets. Once the large primary cavity is created, the petals release from the body of the projectile to cut separate wound tracks through the stressed tissue. The body of the bullet, still retaining a substantial percentage of its original weight but now free from the unnecessary drag, penetrates deeply to ensure maximum effect on the target.

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-rifle-ammo/5-56mm/

https://www.facebook.com/blackhillsammo/videos/2634723293230742/?v=2634723293230742

I believe this to be the Lehigh 62gr Controlled Chaos, loaded by Black Hills, although they may well have tweaked it from Lehigh's own offering, I do not know.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at a 62gr TSX in one of my magazines and the hollow point cavity in the BH loading certainly looks larger.

I don't think that's a TSX bullet, put another way.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Exit wound on a 96lb. doe with a 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu from a 10.5" Noveske w can@75yds. This was a flesh impact that missed the spine. I have taken quite a few varmints & several whitetail with the 62GR. CCCu over the past couple years with similar results. The 62GR. CCCu has proven to be a very accurate bullet design in the 10" class carbines I normally use.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It almost looks like a solid copper version of the MK318 SOST.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Between that exit wound and the gel testing it looks like there's a very promising option for SD use. Might be worth it to grab a couple boxes to do a quick function test and save the rest in a few mags in a go-bag.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Many shooters including myself have been impressed with the accuracy of the 62GR. CCCu bullet. The 108lb. doe below only showed me its head@100yds. After sighting in/shooting the 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu load off the bench, I knew the 62GR. CCCu bullet was easily capable of making a head shot@100yds. as long as I did not pooch the basics. More fine table fare for the freezer!

5.56MM 62GR. CCCu entrance wound@100yds. from 10.5" N4 Noveske w can:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:It almost looks like a solid copper version of the MK318 SOST.
View Quote

Actually, I think the new Mk 318 Mod 1 is now solid copper (other than the nickel plating which is purely for identification purposes to my knowledge). The USMC replaced the lead core of the original.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine arrived. Looking forward to testing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It almost looks like a solid copper version of the MK318 SOST.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. It may be their version of the Mk318 Mod 1http://imgur.com/aV4QIMr
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many shooters including myself have been impressed with the accuracy of the 62GR. CCCu bullet. The 108lb. doe below only showed me its head@100yds. After sighting in/shooting the 5.56MM 62GR. CCCu load off the bench, I knew the 62GR. CCCu bullet was easily capable of making a head shot@100yds. as long as I did not pooch the basics. More fine table fare for the freezer!

View Quote

Have you tried their 115gr CCCu for 300 blackout?

It looked interesting to me, but not interesting enough to change over from 110gr Tac-TX's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot some of it. It was very accurate given the weapon used, and it performed just as you'd expect. The core tracked true, and the bullet appeared to hold up pretty well to various barriers. I shot it through a 50cal ammo box, through a 1" board, and in all cases it appeared to maintain its integrity more or less. On water jugs, it performed as advertised, as well, with the petals shearing cleanly and the core tracking straight. The core penetrated 4 full milk jugs of water, while the fragments (4 of which I recovered) , penetrated into and stopped within the 2nd jug. The dispersion witnessed on the entry of the 2nd jug was between 2 and 3" diameter. This falls within the diameter TSC of the round in tissue, and should significantly add to damage from/within the TSC.

The fragmentation was not as extreme as MK318, but I am of the OPINION that it will be more reliable and predictable.

I achieved right at 2moa accuracy seated off a bag for 7 quickly fired rounds at 100 yards using a LW profile 16.1" BA Hanson barreled rifle topped with a Strike Eagle 1-6 in 5-15mph gusting wind with a cut open hand (that ammo box...), a mil-spec trigger, and no real stress over the group. If someone like Molon got ahold of it and turned 0.8-1.2moa out of a heavier gun with better prep, I would think that to be par for the course and not at all surprised.

I am very likely to make this my "deer round to evaluate" this year.

So far I and my friends have tested, on deer:

75gr Gold Dot (Bled a LOT! We were impressed)
70gr GMX (Variable performance, one round was text-book amazing, blew a nice hole through the deer, lots of blood, another round failed to expand and tumbled)
70gr TSX (Performed well. Not amazing. Just well. It expanded, fully penetrated, and there was a normal amount of blood, etc.)
64gr RA556B (Bigger entry than exit, damaged vitals notably, seemed to dump decent energy rapidly. Not much/any blood trail)

This year I am torn on M855A1, or this round. I will likely use this round because the accuracy M855A1 has provided me (3.55moa out of a proven 1.2moa setup) has been uninspiring for longer shots (at 200 yards that's 7", and some groups were notably worse, so it could be as bad as 5" off center, even if I did my part perfectly, and that's a no-go for me on game). It will likely be this round that I test for deer season.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Black Hills 5.56 offerings have been tough to find even before COVID. Hope more of this comes available sooner rather than later. Would love to test it.

Might be another good HD / SBR option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Black Hills 5.56 offerings have been tough to find even before COVID. Hope more of this comes available sooner rather than later. Would love to test it.

Might be another good HD / SBR option.
View Quote

I found it interesting that penetration of even the core was less in water jugs than 70gr tsx and 75gr gold dot.

I would also be interested if someone reputable (Black Hills is my gold standard, due to their propellant technology, and sealing both ends of the monometal loaded cartridges) loaded the 70gr Cavityback MKZ's to 5.56 velocity.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a FYI: this is now available again at Targetsports.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Very interesting....

I always stayed on the 75/77gr train for my 5.56.

When done properly, fragmentation > expansion

However, fragmentation + expansion = awesomeness.   But fragmenting rounds can be fickle at times as they are normally not (fully) barrier blind, and have smaller windows of peak performance.

Still, I like to seeing more of this because those of who have been running the 110gr varmints or 115gr Controlled Chaos in our 300's have already been doing this.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Have you tried their 115gr CCCu for 300 blackout?

It looked interesting to me, but not interesting enough to change over from 110gr Tac-TX's.
View Quote

Had another successful week of shooting varmints/predators/hogs with different rifles/calibers/bullets. Finally had an opportunity on a 250lb. hog with the original design 62GR. CCCu bullet fired from the 10.5" truck gun with can. The hog walked out of a cane thicket at 225yds. presenting a frontal shot just at dark. I heard the bullet explode in the hog's chest, the hog jumped straight up in the air and came down virtually dead. That is about as good as it can get with any 5.56MM load including the 77GR. TMK or 70GR. TSX.

Yes, I have used the 115GR. CCCu in 300BLK on varmints/predators/hogs/whitetail (below). It is accurate and kills very well, probably even a bit better than the excellent 110GR. TAC-TX in 300BLK which does not normally fragment. Either bullet design is top-shelf for 300BLK IMO. HTH

Attachment Attached File

Entrance wound pictured. 115GR. CCCu took out the spine and exited leaving behind one of its fragments (above). Exit wound was approx. 2.5".
Attachment Attached File

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top