Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2019 1:37:20 PM EDT
I know I know this topic is a dead horse and I know both sides of the argument  , but how many of you guys actually check headspace and what gauges do you use if you do

I just finished my first build and I just thought about headspacing before shooting it and I am looking for some reasonably priced gauges if I do, seems like I will end up paying about 69 dollars for a decent set from Amazon
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I do. If it's worth doing, do it right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You cannot "headspace" (the verb) an AR15.

You "inspect headspace".

I own a full headspace gauge set in .001" increments.  But I only check it when I remember, or feel like it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
AK's yes. AR's no.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I should, but I don't.

No issues yet on 5 builds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Never have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never have.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Never have.
View Quote
x3
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What is Head space?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Never have on more then a dozen builds
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I always check headspace.  I use Forster gauges the most.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Somewhere between 15-20 builds and have never done so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve built or directed the build on 50-55 AR/LRs.  Checked them all with Manson, Clymer, Forster, and even some PTG gauges.  I like Manson and Forster the best.
Two have failed.  One a 5.56 that would not close on GO but functions fine.  I still tried another bolt and it passed.  The other ‘fail’ was on a BHW .260 Rem with Brownells bolt.  It closed on a NO GO but not on a FIELD.  A sizing die adjustment fixes any possible problem.

I don’t check cats because cases are formed to my chamber so headspace is always perfect.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I check it. Found more than one a go gauge failed on but a round did not except one 7.62x39 that some steel case would not close on. Never found one that would not shoot or was really over max though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Every one except one, it was a 45 Raptor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Nah
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AK's yes. AR's no.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
@polishkebasa

How do you ask a yes no question and not do a poll?

BTW, what would you do if you found out you were out of range?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@polishkebasa

View Quote
There you go
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There you go
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@polishkebasa

There you go
LOL!

Fail again...

Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOL!

Fail again...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@polishkebasa

There you go
LOL!

Fail again...

oof the shame
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I do with Redding competition shellholders and sized brass.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#24]
yes. Clymer, Forster, PTG gauges.  5.56, 7.62x39, & 308.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
For precision builds I always have barrel manufacturer check headspace with particular bolt.

For everything else in standard 5.56 mil-spec carbines, I don’t bother. Use quality parts, function check and chamber a live round after build, inspect...then off to the range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Poll looks shaky, you oughta check it's head space.

Anyway, I do check, on every build.

Had one that wouldn't chamber anything, sent the barrel back and bought a different one.

Had two that would blow primers with the same loads that were 1/2 grain under max load and shot with no pressure issues in 10 or 12 other AR15's I have had.  Swapped out bolts on those two with bolts known to be "looser" and have not had any issues since.

I'd rather know it's tight/not going to chamber before I drive 40 miles to the range and have problems there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
You should.

I haven't on any of the ones I have built. I feel reasonably safe to take quality parts, and 55gr .223 Remington ammunition and test fire from the hip, inspect brass, toss M193 in if the. 223Rem load looks good, fire at the hip, if that brass looks good, rifle looks good, everything is tight, toss a M855 load in, repeat, maybe a hot hand load afterwards. At that point, I'm satisfied and clean, inspect and start planning for a range trip to test barrel accuracy and or plink etc.

If I was building to sell or going all in on a no holds bared DMR/precision build, I'd concern myself with getting a gauge set and checking it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Well thanks for all the replys, I ended up getting a set forsters gauges from amazon that will be here Sunday. This is my first build and while I am using good know parts (PSA preimum Bolt and a spikes/fn CHF 11.5 barrel) I am just going to be sure it all good before I put a live round through it.

Maybe I am wasting 70 bucks when I probably not going to build another ar in while and I might get a pre built upper anyway next time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm getting parts together for my first build, and since I'm putting the barrel and upper together, I intend to find a local smith to check the headspace for me. I know the Army can be a little too safety-happy sometimes, but if they wanted us to check headspace every time we attached the same barrel to the same M2 reciever, it makes sense to check headspace on an AR build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
probably not going to build another ar in while and I might get a pre built upper anyway next time.
View Quote

That's what we all say.

I have finished 3 80% lowers, 1 upper from parts, rebuilt 2 store bought uppers (PSA).

I think lapping the face of the upper and bedding the barrel with loctite really helps accuracy.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I check headspace...…….by examining the spent cases.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I check every barrel/bolt. Forster gauges mostly with Clymer for 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Always & it’s so easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I check headspace.  I have the gauges, so no reason not to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I do it the "redneck masking tape" way.

Take a brand new quality factory loaded cartridge from a good company (CURRENT Winchester factory ammo does not qualify).  Put it in the chamber with the AR broken open on it's hinge pin, follow up with the bolt and carrier and gently push the bolt closed with only one finger gently pressing on the back of the bolt carrier.  If it closes the rifle just passed a "go guage".  The cartridge was the "go guage".

Eject the cartridge and add two layers of plain white masking tape to the back of the cartridge and carefully use a razor knife to trim it around the base of the rim.  You just added enough thickness to turn your cartridge into a "no-gauge".  Again using only one finger gentle pressure on the back of the bolt you should no longer be able to get it to close unless you push with strong not so gentle force (don't do that).

If it does close then double check to make sure the masking tape layers didn't come off or something and maybe try another cartridge out of another box.  If it is still closing on these improvised "no-gauge".  Then add like three more layers of again standard plain white masking tape (five layers total) this is now your "field-gauge" if it closes on that - you got problems brother (or sister).
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I ended up getting gauges and checking it, I did not remove the ejector as I have no idea where my box of spent 5.56 went so I could not clamp it down in my vice. It passed the test doing it half assed like that, but today I walked into academy and they are having their going out business again sale so I garbed a real avid master bench block that has a tool integrated to press the ejector when driving out the roll pin , so I will check again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#38]
You wasted $70
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I check headspace everytime. I have found one barrel that would not pass from a well known manufacturer. They replaced the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Assembled an upper for the first time this weekend. Didn't check headspace. But I admit, for the first shot, I chambered a round, set it into a rest, and fired it with my weak hand as I stood as far away from the rifle as I could, as I looked away from it.

I may pick up some gauges for future use. Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#41]
@NY_Shooter:

Or you could use the "redneck masking tape" method I outlined a few posts above.  Takes time not money (or very little money if you need to buy a roll of masking tape and a razor blade and ammo if you don't already have).

Should mention the masking tape I use is about 0.0042" thick under light compression load.  Some brands may be thinner at about 0.0029" thick under light compression load.  In which case you need three layers rather then two for a "no-go".
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@NY_Shooter:

Or you could use the "redneck masking tape" method I outlined a few posts above.  Takes time not money (or very little money if you need to buy a roll of masking tape and a razor blade and ammo if you don't already have).

Should mention the masking tape I use is about 0.0042" thick under light compression load.  Some brands may be thinner at about 0.0029" thick under light compression load.  In which case you need three layers rather then two for a "no-go".
View Quote
Thanks for the tip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top