Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2018 3:38:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing I’d be interested in.  Upper has a shell deflector and the color is a deal breaker for me.  I chose not to use their sight kit based on the negative reviews I’ve read.  Great to see another company offering retro parts though.  I’m sure the parts will appeal to others in the retro crowd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
These same upper receivers sold out in one day for $89 from another vendor, so the demand is there as long as the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the C7 upper for KISS hard use / SHTF builds.  Not so concerned about retro accuracy, I actually would prefer M4 feed ramps.  I think the price is a bit steep for a stripper new production receiver.  I think people know there is a demand, and try to see what they can get.  If that price was for a complete and assembled upper, would be a lot more reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I got lucky on my first sight kit from them, all worked great. They admitted to a bad batch I thought but corrections were made. These uppers fall into the 80's retro more than the older A1 but I have seen the demand out there. Right price I definitely would like one. Just trying to slow down builds right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the upper OP links to is an A2, not an A1.  Not remotely interested.  If you can lay hands on some actual A1 patterned uppers, I'd be down for at least 1.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
As stated, A1 upper with brass deflector isn't A1. It's C7 (aka A2 with "field sights").

That said, C7 uppers are in demand. I looked everywhere for a C7 upper with M4 ramps and no one offers one, so if you do you'd be in a pretty good position (IMO) because more people are building C7 guns for KISS truck gun type builds.

And C7 uppers should be black.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These same upper receivers sold out in one day for $89 from another vendor, so the demand is there as long as the price is right.
View Quote
i think dpms was getting close to $100 ($99 if i remember correctly) for c7 uppers 10 years ago. a2 forum would love these for the canadian builds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
In a pre-slump market, $140 would work... but $89 was right for these.

Hopefully they make a bunch more after these sell, and the price goes down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#9]
A few years ago DPMS flooded the market with C7 uppers.  CDNN was giving them away for $39.99 at one point.  They've been hard to come by for the three years since, but I'm not sure how long that demand will last.

The sight sets have been an issue.  Even with the DPMS uppers, they cranked out a bunch of sight sets with an aperture that didn't have the "L" marking, and didn't have any difference between the two settings.  The Luth-AR apertures are "L" marked, but they're still a far cry from the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few years ago DPMS flooded the market with C7 uppers.  CDNN was giving them away for $39.99 at one point.  They've been hard to come by for the three years since, but I'm not sure how long that demand will last.

The sight sets have been an issue.  Even with the DPMS uppers, they cranked out a bunch of sight sets with an aperture that didn't have the "L" marking, and didn't have any difference between the two settings.  The Luth-AR apertures are "L" marked, but they're still a far cry from the real thing.
View Quote
Too, the DPMS uppers often had clocked barrel alignment pin cuts which canted the front sight every so slightly...just enough to make you have to use up all of your windage in order to zero the gun.

The charging handle track was improperly dimensioned and would ONLY fit DPMS charging handles.

It's damn shame they couldn't have figured that out from the get go....because the detail machining, surface finish values and the hardcoat quality were very, very good.

The only thing worse than a piece of crap...is something that is thiiiissssssssss close to being perfect.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Luth-AR apertures are "L" marked, but they're still a far cry from the real thing.
View Quote
What's the problem with them? I've been thinking of buying a set but, I've been cautious because of the problems with the DPMS version.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's the problem with them?
View Quote
They're tombstone shaped instead of 8 shaped like the real thing.  If you flattened the LuthAR aperture it'd look like an 0, and the real deal would look sorta like an 8.

I've got a pile of the DPMS apertures and one LuthAR... No idea what they might be good for?  Down to just a couple A1 night sight apertures now.  Need to find a few of the front night sight posts and see if there's a modern Tritium element that would fit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're tombstone shaped instead of 8 shaped like the real thing.  If you flattened the LuthAR aperture it'd look like an 0, and the real deal would look sorta like an 8.
View Quote
Your right, I hadn't even noticed that detail. Did they get the different aperture positions right at least?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top