Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2018 2:43:29 AM EDT
Been trying to decide on a sling for a week or two. Previously I've only used generic/traditional slings, and am looking to upgrade. "Narrowed" it down to the 5 options below (ranked in my current order of interest). I know plenty have used the VTAC and Proctor. The Slingster appears to be fairly popular as well.

Spec Ops and GrovTec seem to have considerably less exposure in the market. So, I'd be particularly interested in any firsthand reviews of either. Especially the Spec Ops Patrol, which currently tops my list.

In particular, I am really drawn to bungee element in a 2-point sling. My thought is that it allows for the sling to be cinched tight, but still "give" a little. Thus, allowing for transitions between shoulders (possibly) without the need to manually adjust the sling's length. Which is something I've seen reported with the VTAC Bungee Sling.

With that bungee preference in mind, I've tried to add a brief pro/con for each to further explain my current ranking of the options.

Spec Ops Patrol Sling

Pros
-Bungee segment
-Quick Release buckle in the event the weapon needs to be dropped
-Adjustment is said to be quick (but the lack of reviews makes it hard to verify)
-Seems to be well constructed (see above caveat)

Cons
-Not well known (few written, and almost no video reviews)
-Excess webbing appears to be unsecured
-Need to buy hardware

VTAC Bungee Sling

Pros
-Well known and tested
-Very large bungee section (more "give", and I'm assuming adds to the comfort level)
-Quick Adjustment

Cons
-No quick detach buckle (but I'm not sure if I'd ever need it)
-Need to buy hardware

Proctor Sling

Pros
-Excess webbing stores itself (no tail flopping around)
-Quick Adjustment
-No hardware necessary

Cons
-While no hardware is necessary, the attachment method seems questionable
-No bungee portion

Ferro Concepts Slingster

Pros
-Added padding that's moveable
-Quick adjustment
-Excess webbing appears to be self-contained

Cons
-Not sure if I like the finger tab method of adjustment
-No bungee portion

GrovTec Quick Adjust Tactical Sling

Pros
-Comes with QD hardware
-Quick adjustment
-Bungee Section

Cons
-Hardware is sewn in (I really only need the QD on one end)
-Not well known
-Excess webbing seems to be unsecured

So, any input would be welcome. Again, in particular for the Spec Ops and GrovTec. Right now, the Spec Ops and VTAC are pretty much neck and neck. So, while price is not really a major factor, I suppose the Spec Ops is "leading" because it's less expensive.

Ultimately, if it's still a toss up over any 2 of the above options, I may end up getting both. Then will decide after a hands-on comparison.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue Force Gear.

Go BFG custom if you can't find one that suits you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
reality is that almost any 2 point sling would work just fine..i use standard ak slings on my ak's and the gi silent sling on my ar's: I have never felt the necessity to "upgrade".
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
reality is that almost any 2 point sling would work just fine..i use standard ak slings on my ak's and the gi silent sling on my ar's: I have never felt the necessity to "upgrade".
View Quote
Really good point. Once adjusted and set up properly, any 2 point is GTG given its a quality sling. My suggestion is check out the Blue Force Gear VCAS. I run BFG VCAS on all my "carbines" (AR, AK, etc) and other platforms like my Benelli M4, its very quick to loosen or tighten on the fly given the design, it literally just takes like 2 seconds, transitions aren't an issue. They are also a very proven piece of kit. I'm not a fan of the VTAC style slings, they work fine, just not a fan of the design in use; I also hate the stupid cord flopping around.

Heard many good things about the proctor, have never had hands on use though. No personal experience with the others.

ETA: FWIW, if you are short, the padded VCAS may be just a bit long. I adjust mine and cut the excess (I still leave ~3 inches extra at each end), I'm 5'5" and the padded is a bit more tedious to use for me if we get into minor details
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input everyone. I suppose that, given the poll options, it's not all that surprising to see the VTAC well out in front. It's certainly been tried and tested, and I probably can't go wrong with that option.

I figured some would recommend the VCAS/BFG, and probably should have added a caveat in the OP. While there are some who don't seem to care for it, the majority of users who try the VCAS seem to like it. At just over 6', the height consideration that was mentioned shouldn't be an issue. And it's got plenty of attributes that I'm sure I'd like.

Still, I personally don't see myself buying one. It's purely subjective on my part. Suffice it to say, for varrying reasons, there are just certain products/brands I avoid. Especially when there are comparable alternatives. In this case the Proctor sling shares a lot of the benefits that are found with the VCAS.

I still appreciate the input. With the way the poll has fallen, I'm leaning towards getting both the VTAC Bungee and Proctor. I figure each will be more than serviceable; but are different enough for a good comparison. I can always sell/return one of it just doesn't work for me. Or, assign them to different rifles if both work well for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Blue Force Gear.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Trash all your options.

Get a padded Blue Force Gear VCAS 2-point.

ETA: dammit. Wish I'd read before posting, because I could've saved myself some typing and just said FPNI.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the MagPul MS-1, simple, solid
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Trash all your options.

ETA: dammit. Wish I'd read before posting, because I could've saved myself some typing and just said FPNI.  
View Quote
Lol. It's also my fault for not including a caveat about my aversion to the VCAS in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought about including the Magpul. But saw a few too many reports alleging it's cumbersome/difficult to quickly adjust.

Did you find that complaint to be at all accurate in your experience?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Trash all your options.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lol. It's also my fault for not including a caveat about my aversion to the VCAS in the OP.
View Quote
What?  Why?

"What's the broblem with VCAS, bro?  What is the broblem with VCAS, my main man?" (that should be read in this guy's voice )
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought about including the Magpul. But saw a few too many reports alleging it's cumbersome/difficult to quickly adjust.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, no it's easy to adjust but I'm far from high speed.  

It's a simple well built 2 point sling. You can get attachments for the end to tailor it to your needs
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
CrossTac is what you seek.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What?  Why?

"What's the broblem with VCAS, bro?  What is the broblem with VCAS, my main man?" (that should be read in this guy's voice )
View Quote
I think you've come close enough to answering your own questions

For the record my avoidance is not so much about the sling's namesake. I'm certainly not a fan of his. But probably not a hater either. It comes down to some of his brossociations.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Me, no it's easy to adjust but I'm far from high speed.  

It's a simple well built 2 point sling. You can get attachments for the end to tailor it to your needs
View Quote
Thanks. I'll take that under advisement. I do like the modularity of the Magpul. Although I guess the same can be done with many others.

In general, I don't think I've ever come across a Magpul product that I bought and didn't like.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CrossTac is what you seek.
View Quote
Hadn't seen that one. Will have to take a look. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I have over a dozen for my various rifles and shotguns (AKs, ARs, 870, ...) - it's versatile, has a slider thingie to easily cinch it up tight or give you room for shoulder transitions, it's simple to go 2pt to 1pt or back if needed, it's easy to fit to whatever end points your weapon has for it by using their adapters (love paraclips!), etc..
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Despite your aversion to LAV or any of his associates, my vote is BFG VCAS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]
My vote isn't on the list...Magpul MS1.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got rid of a Magpul MS4 because surprisingly it weighs over 9oz. I just bought a Proctor sling...2oz
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Blue Force Gear.

View Quote
I’m running 6 BFG slings
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
A clue here for the OP on why so many recommend the BFG Vicker sling....
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A clue here for the OP on why so many recommend the BFG Vicker sling....
View Quote
Yep.

When it comes to equipment for actual use, function over form (or feelz). Avoiding something because of some emotional reasons as opposed to purely functional reasons is as equally silly as selecting it for some image.

The VCAS sling flat out works, and works well.

Padded, if you're big enough that the adjustable range limitations are not an issue (at 6', won't be an issue if you're not a beanpole), and/or you'll potentially be slinging a heavy'ish long gun (subjective) for extended periods without body armor.

Unpadded VCAS if the wider adjustment range is a consideration (you can use the fast adjustment for a noticeably wider difference between snug and loose), you'll be using the sling with body armor (the armor's shoulder pads distribute the pressure, so the sling padding doesn't make much difference), or the pressure of the unpadded sling doesn't bother you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep.

When it comes to equipment for actual use, function over form (or feelz). Avoiding something because of some emotional reasons as opposed to purely functional reasons is as equally silly as selecting it for some image.

The VCAS sling flat out works, and works well.

Padded, if you're big enough that the adjustable range limitations are not an issue (at 6', won't be an issue if you're not a beanpole), and/or you'll potentially be slinging a heavy'ish long gun (subjective) for extended periods without body armor.

Unpadded VCAS if the wider adjustment range is a consideration (you can use the fast adjustment for a noticeably wider difference between snug and loose), you'll be using the sling with body armor (the armor's shoulder pads distribute the pressure, so the sling padding doesn't make much difference), or the pressure of the unpadded sling doesn't bother you.
View Quote
I'm 5 foot 6 inches, and am built like a lamp and the padded works fine for me. I don't have any padded anymore because I felt like the standard style just works better especially for an AR because they aren't that heavy. The QD model is my favorite because I usually end up using QD's and hav ing them sewn in makes it a lower profile set up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Proctor WOTG sling. Seriously. Try one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Proctor WOTG sling. Seriously. Try one.
View Quote
Have to say that I am impressed with this sling. Super simple, weighs almost nothing, and the attachment is actually super secure and seems to hold up to use according to guys that have had them for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#27]
VTac padded
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I use standard 2 point slings. I just got a slinger. Its growing on me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer the cheap US G.I. silent slings or adjustable canvas style over any of the high speed models. Not only do I like them better for day to day use, they are considerably cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Need to evaluate a few things.

"Pros" which are actually cons
-Bungee segment
-Quick Release buckle in the event the weapon needs to be dropped
-padding that's moveable

"Cons" which are acutally pros
-Hardware is sewn in

"Cons" which are actually irrelevant
-Vickers association
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
For my latest build I went with the Midway 2 point. $5. I bought a pair of Grovtec qd swivels for it seperately for about $15. Very simple like I like it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I went with a standard IDF sling. Nothing fancy. Working toward getting some paracord and both wrap it as well as turning it into a silent sling.

It is working great, wide so it feels fine and, when fully extended, I can carry my gun in the front at a ready position or rotate it to my back to access my handgun.

KIS- Keep It Simple. Maybe I am too simplistic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Padded vtac
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The MS1 has a sliding adjuster that allows you to tighten or loosen the sling with the push of it. It's all about setting how much range of adjustment you want IMO. It's very easy to use and once setup I can easily loosen it enough to shoot slung up with a sweater on or tighten it to shoot with nothing but a t shirt on, I have t tested the winter weather jacket but I imagine I could very easily.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
About the VCAS: I've never used any of their standard slings but I do have one of their AK slings on my Romy and I must say it is superb. Their VCAS sling looks the same as the AK sling but setup for a side sling swivel vs having a universal wire loop to fit in the AK front sling mount. If I'm correct on that than I would say if you are dismissing it simply because of LAV you'd be missing out on a solid sling.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
About the VTACs: I've never used any of their standard slings but I do have one of their AK slings on my Romy and I must say it is superb. Their VTAC sling looks the same as the AK sling but setup for a side sling swivel vs having a universal wire loop to fit in the AK front sling mount. If I'm correct on that than I would say if you are dismissing it simply because of LAV you'd be missing out on a solid sling.
View Quote
I think you may be confusing VTAC and VCAS.
VTAC=Viking Tactics/Kyle Lamb
VCAS=Larry Vickers
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
VCAS=Larry Vickers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About the VTACs: I've never used any of their standard slings but I do have one of their AK slings on my Romy and I must say it is superb. Their VTAC sling looks the same as the AK sling but setup for a side sling swivel vs having a universal wire loop to fit in the AK front sling mount. If I'm correct on that than I would say if you are dismissing it simply because of LAV you'd be missing out on a solid sling.
VCAS=Larry Vickers
Fixed. I was looking at the proper product just mentioned the wrong one in my comment. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I spent about 2 hours trying to get the vtac padded to work for me. Attached to rear of buttstock I could not get pad to actually rest on my shoulder and have the adjustment be usable. Pad was always centered on Middle of my back. If I attached it to rear of receiver on a sling plate it probably would work but that's not how I like it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Gear Sector ASP
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I just started running the Slingster on a 16" AR 15 build with Atlas S One Handguard and CTR Stock. One of the issues I have, given my build and locating the strap connections at the CTR QD and hand guard rear QD, is that there is quite a bit of excess strap to provide a relatively tight fit. The excess webbing can be tucked into the pad for the non adjustable side. But the excess webbing on the adjustable end doesn't have any where to go with out cutting it. I would prefer to keep the flexibility to move the mounting positions and make use of some of that slack if I decided to.

Also, I found the adjustment mechanism occasionally sticks if the webbing is twisted at certain angles, but it rarely happens. The rubber tab can be difficult to "find" at times, but I haven't trained with this sling very much. I suspect those will be non issues with more run time. I do like the thinner webbing on the non padded portions and it gives a slimmer feel to the overall setup.

For what it is worth, I am also trying out the Blue Force 1" uloop attachment on the adjusting side. I loop this through a handguard MLOK slot next to a rear hand guard QD point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Magpul MS3.  No bungie - not needed with a slide/tensioner.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I went with a standard IDF sling. Nothing fancy. Working toward getting some paracord and both wrap it as well as turning it into a silent sling.

It is working great, wide so it feels fine and, when fully extended, I can carry my gun in the front at a ready position or rotate it to my back to access my handgun.

KIS- Keep It Simple. Maybe I am too simplistic.
View Quote
I also evolved and landed back on the KISS concept after years of running full-feature (and expensive) slings.  I have been running the ultra-simple Proctor sling for quite a while now...and I often wonder why I used anything else.

Link Posted: 6/10/2018 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Just put a Vickers One from Blue Force Gear on my AR pistol. I also mounted one of their pic rail sling loops. My FSB is a clamp-on so I wanted to keep weight off of it. It's a pretty simple sling, 1" wide, and works great. They aren't the cheapest but quality is top-notch and its made in the USA! I wanted something simple for this pistol since its my truck gun or gets stashed away in a back pack. This sling was a good compromise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Vicker's padded sling from Blue Force Gear. Very nice and comfortable and I like the quick adjust.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/padded-vickers-sling
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of good stuff out there. My absolute favorite though is the Savvy Sniper sling. Available in many different configutrations to suit your needs. They are expensive but very well made. For a cheap, silent sling I like the Strike Industries S3 with Kevlar loop ends. In fact I adapted that one to one of my bigger camera/lens set ups even :)

Rudy
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I use the Ferro Concepts slingster on all my rifles. It's easy to adjust, comfortable, and works well. I don't have anything bad to say about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
pretty much all I use these days
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Magpul MS4
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I have VTac on everything, but I’m not sure on the bungee part. I want them to pull up tight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top