User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 19
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snake0832:
So here’s a question for all the mag hoarders; leaving them loaded? I’m not worried about the spring as much as I am the feed lips/spine. I’ve got mostly magpul m2 and m3. Any damages leaving loaded for long time? Talking years. I’ve got a lot of mags with duty ammo loaded that will never be fired like my mags with fmj ammo.
View Quote
I pretty much only have USGI.  Captain Obvious here.......we don't have any such concerns.  And, USGI are lighter.  But, I'm not the "cool kid on the block!"

Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So here’s a question for all the mag hoarders; leaving them loaded? I’m not worried about the spring as much as I am the feed lips/spine. I’ve got mostly magpul m2 and m3. Any damages leaving loaded for long time? Talking years. I’ve got a lot of mags with duty ammo loaded that will never be fired like my mags with fmj ammo.
View Quote
@snake0832

Ive got 20ish pmags with 2012-13 date codes that have been loaded since 2013 with green tips and no dust covers. I had over 40 loaded in that batch but slowly shot some as time went on. I have had zero issues with the Moe/M2 mags. I did have a gen 1 break off an entire feed lip but thats been the extent of my pmag failures. I have a dozen M3’s but havent even loaded or used them yet. 75 pmags total these days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response! I’ve got 9 loaded mags in my cruiser that I keep loaded with 28 rounds. All are M3 Magpul. I’ve still got some m2’s loaded with my first duty ammo back from 13. I always save it when I get new and keep loading spares. My main 4 mags ( 1 in rifle, 3 in plate carrier) get loaded with fresh ammo every year when issued. Was in a stand-off one night in a thunderstorm for about 6hrs. I shot one mag of that ammo about month later on the range and it worked just fine.... sitting on about 100 total mags for AR but I can’t figure out the picture thing since my PB quit working.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:

@snake0832

Ive got 20ish pmags with 2012-13 date codes that have been loaded since 2013 with green tips and no dust covers. I had over 40 loaded in that batch but slowly shot some as time went on. I have had zero issues with the Moe/M2 mags. I did have a gen 1 break off an entire feed lip but thats been the extent of my pmag failures. I have a dozen M3’s but havent even loaded or used them yet. 75 pmags total these days.
View Quote
On the Gen 1 that broken the entire feed lip...was that from regular use or just sitting stored and loaded for years?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the response! I’ve got 9 loaded mags in my cruiser that I keep loaded with 28 rounds. All are M3 Magpul. I’ve still got some m2’s loaded with my first duty ammo back from 13. I always save it when I get new and keep loading spares. My main 4 mags ( 1 in rifle, 3 in plate carrier) get loaded with fresh ammo every year when issued. Was in a stand-off one night in a thunderstorm for about 6hrs. I shot one mag of that ammo about month later on the range and it worked just fine.... sitting on about 100 total mags for AR but I can’t figure out the picture thing since my PB quit working.
View Quote
FYI, one of the great things about PMAG's is the ability to load to full, 30-round, capacity without having to worry about the mag not locking into place when inserted into a gun with a closed bolt. You're just depriving yourself of two rounds and making reloads necessary that much sooner because of a cure to a problem with completely different magazines.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
FYI, one of the great things about PMAG's is the ability to load to full, 30-round, capacity without having to worry about the mag not locking into place when inserted into a gun with a closed bolt. You're just depriving yourself of two rounds and making reloads necessary that much sooner because of a cure to a problem with completely different magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks for the response! I’ve got 9 loaded mags in my cruiser that I keep loaded with 28 rounds. All are M3 Magpul.
I have to agree. One of Magpul’s specific design goals with the PMAG was to provide enough space for the spring to compress on a closed bolt so you wouldn’t have to download them by two rounds like GI mags. There’s no need to short yourself two rounds in a PMAG.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
I agree, however, our policy was written when we had GI mags. It says you can only load 28. They make a big deal about it when we have a shooting because it’s how we keep track of how many rounds we shot if you’re not for sure from the heat of the moment. I don’t really wanna tell a major that his policy is stupid just for 2 more rounds
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
I've never had an issue with any of my mags (Lancer, PMAG, Colt USGI, D&H USGI, etc) fully loaded to 30rds fitting into any of my AR's with a closed bolt. I think a lot of people that have had this issue have accidentally loaded 31 rounds in their mag.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Crogers23:
I've never had an issue with any of my mags (Lancer, PMAG, Colt USGI, D&H USGI, etc) fully loaded to 30rds fitting into any of my AR's with a closed bolt. I think a lot of people that have had this issue have accidentally loaded 31 rounds in their mag.
View All Quotes

I've had the issue plenty of times during my eight years in Army combat arms (Infantry and then Artillery FO assigned to INF platoons). I can assure you, it wasn't because I had thirty-one rounds in the mag, as there are ten rounds per stripper clip and I would have had to somehow put one round from a fourth clip into the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't tell a difference in force required to seat a mag on a closed bolt; 28 or 30 rounds, PMAG or Okay. Because of that, I load to 30.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Same here with any PMAG or Center Industries and Okay USGI mags. Always loaded to 30 rounds and never an issue seating on a closed bolt. I use the Reid Henrichs method though. Always have and always will.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crogers23] [#12]

I've had the issue plenty of times during my eight years in Army combat arms (Infantry and then Artillery FO assigned to INF platoons). I can assure you, it wasn't because I had thirty-one rounds in the mag, as there are ten rounds per stripper clip and I would have had to somehow put one round from a fourth clip into the magazine.
View All Quotes

Strange. I haven't had the same experience. Do you still have the issue, and if so, is it specific to any of your rifles?

Originally Posted By jonm78:

Same here with any PMAG or Center Industries and Okay USGI mags. Always loaded to 30 rounds and never an issue seating on a closed bolt. I use the Reid Henrichs method though. Always have and always will.
Pmags are definitely the easiest to seat on a closed bolt, but all of my USGI mags seat on a closed bolt just fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
It's an old school issue with USGI mags and older followers. No PMAG has this issue and USGI mags have the issue fixed by swapping out with Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
https://i.imgur.com/OSPtmECl.jpg
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread needs more mag art:

Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#17]
@SideSalad that looks really sharp.

Your room altogether looks like a place I'd love to hang around in!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Was a fun project.  Organization (functional) is always a challenge with everything (mags, ammo, parts, reloading stuff, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SideSalad:
This thread needs more mag art:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/238563/66C12F02-28EC-4A91-82DA-BBE24F0611FA-1189926.jpg
View Quote
How do you have those mags mounted on that wall?  Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Used what I believe what are called “tie hangars” from Home Depot.  They’re white; inverted/on their sides, and I snapped off every other pc of wire.  Then spray painted black and mounted to a pc of plywood.  The board is wrapped in trunk liner material.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
My last order from Black Friday

Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SideSalad:
Used what I believe what are called “tie hangars” from Home Depot.  They’re white; inverted/on their sides, and I snapped off every other pc of wire.  Then spray painted black and mounted to a pc of plywood.  The board is wrapped in trunk liner material.
View Quote
Ingenious
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By endofdays:
i have no clue how many mags i have but they are everywhere around the house, on pc, on belt, night stand, both safes, all ~30 of my ars have mags in them and a big ammo crate full as well. all are loaded cause unloaded mags are dumb
View Quote
Ten years goes by fast. Then it’s twenty. Then longer. Then one day you go to use them and they ftf.  I’m not trying to be a dick but the chances of you lasting past a couple of mags in a SHTF gun fight is small.

I keep a normal load out ready. 7-8 mags. Maybe ten. And even then I rotate those every 6-9 months.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AIWB:
Ten years goes by fast. Then it’s twenty. Then longer. Then one day you go to use them and they ftf.  I’m not trying to be a dick but the chances of you lasting past a couple of mags in a SHTF gun fight is small.

I keep a normal load out ready. 7-8 mags. Maybe ten. And even then I rotate those every 6-9 months.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By endofdays:
i have no clue how many mags i have but they are everywhere around the house, on pc, on belt, night stand, both safes, all ~30 of my ars have mags in them and a big ammo crate full as well. all are loaded cause unloaded mags are dumb

Springs don't go bad by being compressed for long periods of time. They go bad from compressing and decompressing many, many times. Keeping mags loaded isn't about lasting in a SHTF fantasy fight, anyways. It's about conserving space. I can store a magazine AND 30-rounds of ammo in the exact same space as the magazine, so why not do it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
In the Navy we loaded our Colt/USGI mags with 28rds not because it did not insert but rather because we believed it would cause a mis-feed stoppage.  The 30rd was really tight in our mags.  I know we use different equipment, but mags were probably the same.  Most of my civvie mags have magpul followers.  Even my SureFeeds have the magpul followers.  I don't have the new blue followers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you cloning yourself?

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
I see some Bulgarian mags there......

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is some of mine. Maybe 600 here? I'll have to check again. Tan followers are stacked two rows deep. And I have more somewhere. I need to get a complete run down on what all I have.

Pile o' mags
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SenselessPuma:
Here is some of mine. Maybe 600 here? I'll have to check again. Tan followers are stacked two rows deep. And I have more somewhere. I need to get a complete run down on what all I have.

Pile o' mags
View Quote
That's a nice stash.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#31]
Originally Posted By cone256:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20191130_211452-1179495.jpg
View Quote

Well, aint we a little filthy hoe bag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tooly:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tooly:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20191130_211452-1179495.jpg

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#33]

View Quote

Im a hoe too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Took some stay at home time to load some more and organize

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:30:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#35]
Doing some shooting this week and rotating ammo out.  102 30 rd mags, all USGI except for one FN Mk16 SCAR mag and 6 PMag Gen 3.  Also 3x20 about 50 yrs old.  USGI mags have couple black, with majority green or tan followers.  About a dozen blue enhanced mags.  All work without issues.  Loaded with M196, M855, M855A1, M856, M995, Mk262 and Mk318.  Total is 3,120 rds.  Still have about 20 mags worth to shoot up.

One thing to remember on any mag, is to have just a bit of compression on the rounds for the closed bolt.  White string pulled on bandoleers for 30 rd mags to fit.

Attachment Attached File

Fired about 14 mags today besides the Mk17 ammo (180 rds of M118LR)

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Was trying to reorganize my gun room and decided to consolidate all my mags both empty and loaded

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#37]
Here's my current pile of backup AR 30rd mags.  just north of 120 of them still in the wrappers.

breakdown is something like
50 bulgarian steel
20 D&H with the magpul guts
20 no-name
25 magpul gen2
5 Sig polymer

For what I have out of the wrappers and in rotation, D&H, bulgarian steel, and magpul gen2.

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Springs don't go bad by being compressed for long periods of time. They go bad from compressing and decompressing many, many times. Keeping mags loaded isn't about lasting in a SHTF fantasy fight, anyways. It's about conserving space. I can store a magazine AND 30-rounds of ammo in the exact same space as the magazine, so why not do it?
View Quote

Well, we can both argue about it or just agree to disagree.  The phenomenon of spring creep is most certainly real. We can sit here for the next week and volley conjecture and anecdotes back and forth but ultimately we could both be correct. If the spring was engineered properly, and made properly, yes, you’d be right (for the most part). However not all mag manufacturers are “top shelf” so to speak.

For range mags, cheaper mags can be worth the savings. For serious use mags I’d only recommend the top brands. You still can encounter creep with them, but no where near as likely. Still, downloading them is a good way to ensure you keep the spring stress below the critical fatigue limit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Well, we can both argue about it or just agree to disagree.  The phenomenon of spring creep is most certainly real. We can sit here for the next week and volley conjecture and anecdotes back and forth but ultimately we could both be correct. If the spring was engineered properly, and made properly, yes, you’d be right (for the most part). However not all mag manufacturers are “top shelf” so to speak.

For range mags, cheaper mags can be worth the savings. For serious use mags I’d only recommend the top brands. You still can encounter creep with them, but no where near as likely. Still, downloading them is a good way to ensure you keep the spring stress below the critical fatigue limit.
View Quote

I think its a moot point.

When I did the factory tour at PSA, I chatted up the guys who do the test firing.  They fire every gun and every upper their build there.  This was back when they were making about 1500 uppers a day.  Do the math on that and those mags are really getting a workout.
For .223 ARs, they use magpul and their house branded D&H mags.  These mags get used all through the day, putting in 40hr work weeks.  They don't keep exact round numbers on the individual mags, but a rough estimate was in the upper portion of 5 digit numbers of rounds before the mags shat the bed.  Loading and unloading each magazine thousands of times.  By the time you run enough ammo through a magazine to the point of wearing it out, you're up over $20k worth of ammo (at last years prices), almost double that in today's prices.  

These are mostly $8-20 magazines we're all collecting here in the thread.  By the time you have loaded and unloaded that mag thousands of times and blown through $20k worth of ammo, that little $8 mag has done its job.  And if you have "10 mags per rifle", and "2 is 1 and 1 is none", then you have at least 20 magazines.  If you won't be blowing through $400k-$800k worth of ammo, there's no point worrying about it because you'll never use up your magazines.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

When I did the factory tour at PSA, I chatted up the guys who do the test firing.  They fire every gun and every upper their build there.  This was back when they were making about 1500 uppers a day.  Do the math on that and those mags are really getting a workout.
For .223 ARs, they use magpul and their house branded D&H mags.  These mags get used all through the day, putting in 40hr work weeks.  They don't keep exact round numbers on the individual mags, but a rough estimate was in the upper portion of 5 digit numbers of rounds before the mags shat the bed.  Loading and unloading each magazine thousands of times.  By the time you run enough ammo through a magazine to the point of wearing it out, you're up over $20k worth of ammo (at last years prices), almost double that in today's prices.  

These are mostly $8-20 magazines we're all collecting here in the thread.  By the time you have loaded and unloaded that mag thousands of times and blown through $20k worth of ammo, that little $8 mag has done its job.  And if you have "10 mags per rifle", and "2 is 1 and 1 is none", then you have at least 20 magazines.  If you won't be blowing through $400k-$800k worth of ammo, there's no point worrying about it because you'll never use up your magazines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

I believe most peoples concern (whether warranted or not) is that they want to ensure that magazine is going to reliably feed a round to go into the chamber every single time. I dont think most worry about the cost so much as they worry that it may fail when they need it. I for one dont worry about it and havent had an issue. That being said, the longest ive had a mag stay loaded was going on 6 years (M2 PMAGS) and they are still gtg.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M_O_G:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M_O_G:

Looks like someone else noticed as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#43]

That's a pretty good start
All those in the bags would drive me nuts, it's hard for me to leave a mag in the bag/box
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HEATH223] [#44]
I recently did an inventory on my magazines And just got inspired to take pictures(not pulling them all out).

AR mags
Attachment Attached File

Other rifle/pistol
Attachment Attached File

Not quite all of them pictured but 365 currently with 26 more to ship tomorrow hopefully.

My ammo/mag storage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:27:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Two-dogs] [#45]
Originally Posted By HEATH223:
I recently did an inventory on my magazines And just got inspired to take pictures(not pulling them all out).

AR mags
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44378/BA1ED182-C083-42D2-A3EA-E42A9FD68B50_jpe-1740679.JPG

Other rifle/pistol
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44378/66A634CC-F10F-495A-986F-85358E802A1D_jpe-1740681.JPG

Not quite all of them pictured but 365 currently with 26 more to ship tomorrow hopefully.

My ammo/mag storage.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44378/IMG_0016_jpg-1740713.JPG
View Quote

That's some nice organization you've got there!  Impressive stash.

My OCD approves 👍

But you need more labels...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#46]
That’s a beauty indeed!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Clearly I need to up my mag game....
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SavageTexan] [#48]
Sometimes I feel bad. But there's a few in this thread that make me feel better. Lol

POST MORE PICS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
A Pelican 1520 will hold 50 pmags.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ObsoleteMan:
A Pelican 1520 will hold 50 pmags.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/201992/IMG_20210424_124406009_4_jpg-1917438.JPG
View Quote

Good gouge - thx.

Page / 19
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top