Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2020 10:16:00 PM EDT
After owning a MK114 Mod 2, I am thinking about getting a Mod 1, same barrel length.  Been communicating with a good member here and he was looking at a PWS and gave him some good feedback....then found some Youtube videos on the Mod 1 and it looks very interesting.

Emailed PWS this evening and there is a 6-8 weeks plus waiting period, just like when I bought the Mod 2 last year.  

If anyone has some Mod 1 feedback, please post here.  

Thanks,

Bronc

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]

I have an older Mk116 from before there was a "mod1" and "mod2", in the days of Keymod and chromed BCG/Piston systems and non-BCM furniture.  They were also a bit more expensive than they are currently, so there's that.

It's been nothing but flawless and accurate.

I would've preferred a Mk114, but that length was OOS when I went to order mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the differences between the mod 1 and 2 other than asthetics?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OhioRangeTime:
What are the differences between the mod 1 and 2 other than asthetics?
View Quote

Below is from Adam at PWS, from an email I sent him asking the question:

The biggest difference between mod 1 and mod 2 is the mod 2 gives you ambi controls, you get a flared magazine well, lightning cuts on the upper and lower receiver , and the pic-lok handguard with the picatinny rail manufactured into the handguard, the mod 1 is more of your milspec style rifle with the forward assist.

Thank you

Adam Yerrington
Sales
Primary Weapons Systems
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mk114 mod 1 upper. Works great. Very accurate.

I perfer the mod 1 because of the forward assist and the milspc upper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Recently acquired a PWS MK1 Alpha 10.5" and I really like it. Great quality and accurate. The Alpha is closer to the Mod 1 with more mil specs. I'm considering another PWS.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well went another direction, just ordered a PWS MK111 Pro pistol today.  Been thinking about a pistol and after contacting Centurion Arms and them bacisly being out of any barrels less than 14.5", decided to go with the PWS.  I already have the MK114 Mod2, it has been great, so why not add another one.

Shipping time is 8 weeks plus, so looking sometime in late September or early October....

Will be my first AR pistol....will consider this for an SBR

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My Mod1 upper and my Mod2 upper have differences in the BCG and gas regulator. I think my Mod1 must be an older version, even though I purchased it new last week. Probably old stock. Pro looks like a good buy for the price. I was able to source a mod1 upper fro my SBR lower, mod2 upper, and a mod2 lower separately and in stock. Mod2 lower should show up tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
When I asked them today on the phone, he told me the gas system on the Pro and my Mod 2 I purchased less than a year ago are the same with the exception of the length.  

The price for the PRO was 1045, which I feel is reasonable for what you are getting.

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a PWS MK114 Mod 1 as my primary trainer.

I like the Mod 2 but prefer conformity of all AR15s on controls so when I wanted a Mod2 I bought the MK116 upper but a Mod1 lower

I would not hesitate on a Pro stripped model as stripped is relative to just buying what you really need more than stripped down

Try this site for PWS stuff:

https://shop.fortresstactical.com/default.asp

They are fast on shipping and discounted on price
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 14" mod 1 and I loved to shoot it suppressed, it's so smooth. Shooting unsupressed in setting 2 with brass case is also great, no noticable different between it and a DI gun

It's out of stock everywhere, but Botach has some Mod1 11" in stock for $774, check them out.

https://botach.com/pws-mk107-mod1-complete-uppers-5-56mm-7-barrel/

https://botach.com/pws-mk111-mod1-complete-uppers-5-56mm-11-barrel/
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 14" mod 1 and I loved to shoot it suppressed, it's so smooth. Shooting unsupressed in setting 2 with brass case is also great, no noticable different between it and a DI gun

It's out of stock everywhere, but Botach has some Mod1 11" in stock for $774, check them out.

https://botach.com/pws-mk107-mod1-complete-uppers-5-56mm-7-barrel/

https://botach.com/pws-mk111-mod1-complete-uppers-5-56mm-11-barrel/
View Quote
People are weary of Botach, but I bought my Mod1 upper from them. Had it in 4 days from order. Ive also purchased other things from them over the years when I couldn't find it in stock anywhere with no issues. Be aware, the Mod1 i bought may be an older model as the gas ports are numbered rather than marked by the circles, and there is no pin in the bottom of the regulator the protrudes like on my mod2. The bolt was also black rather than the silver colored finish on my mod2 and what looks like they sell as their spares online. No relief cuts (small, angled cutouts in the riding surface) in the BCG contact patches to let debris through like on the mod2 either, but im not sure if that's something they do on current mod1 or not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People are weary of Botach, but I bought my Mod1 upper from them. Had it in 4 days from order. Ive also purchased other things from them over the years when I couldn't find it in stock anywhere with no issues. Be aware, the Mod1 i bought may be an older model as the gas ports are numbered rather than marked by the circles, and there is no pin in the bottom of the regulator the protrudes like on my mod2. The bolt was also black rather than the silver colored finish on my mod2 and what looks like they sell as their spares online. No relief cuts (small, angled cutouts in the riding surface) in the BCG contact patches to let debris through like on the mod2 either, but im not sure if that's something they do on current mod1 or not.
View Quote

Yeah, I heard mixed thing about them but I have never had any problem with my orders.  I thought the numbered gas block is the newer version because I ordered my MK114 mod 1 directly from PWS in April and it came with the one with numbers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, my PWS MK114 is about 10 months old and it has the circles on the gas block  

So the numbered GB is the new version?

Thanks

I about 2 weeks into my order wait time
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, I heard mixed thing about them but I have never had any problem with my orders.  I thought the numbered gas block is the newer version because I ordered my MK114 mod 1 directly from PWS in April and it came with the one with numbers.
View Quote
Oh, well maybe it is new then. I hadn't seen any reviews with numbering so I figured it was an older revision that Botach was trying to liquidate with the good pricing. But I'll be happy if it's the most current
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
PWS makes great rifles, I have a 7.62x39 mod 1 MK111 and a mod 2 MK116 in 556, both are very reliable and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PWS makes great rifles, I have a 7.62x39 mod 1 MK111 and a mod 2 MK116 in 556, both are very reliable and fun to shoot.
View Quote
@raverill what mags do you run in the 7.62x39? I just picked up a CZ Bren 2 in 7.62x39. Picked up an HBI Magwell conversion kit and six CPD Dura-Mags. Read good things about their latest revision and D&H, just wondering if you've run into any issues with the mags you run?
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@raverill what mags do you run in the 7.62x39? I just picked up a CZ Bren 2 in 7.62x39. Picked up an HBI Magwell conversion kit and six CPD Dura-Mags. Read good things about their latest revision and D&H, just wondering if you've run into any issues with the mags you run?
View Quote

The duragmag 28 rounders are good to go.  Perfect function for me so far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been running CPD, no issues,  even on select fire

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been shooting my MK114 mod 1 for the last 5 yrs now. No issues at all. It just eat what ever ammo I give it. Everytime I pull it open thinking I'm going to clean it I just end up just closing it back up. Its my go to gun now. I like it so much I ended up buying another off the EE for a good price. Been saving up so I can get a nice scope for the new used upper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#20]
PM Sent
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top