Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2021 6:15:15 PM EDT
I hope this is the place to ask newbie questions that are embarrassing to ask.

My background is in hand guns and I have all the normal cleaning supplies for hand guns. I went and shot my AR15 for the first time and now i am cleaning it. To learn how I'm watching a video by Jerry Miculek.  On his advice I go guy a 5.56 brush, a bore guide and a long cleaning rod.  I put the bore guide in. But my jag with the patch is too big to fit in the bore guide. The 5.56 brush will fit in it, but my jag won't even fit with no patch.  Do they make small jags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Jags are normally sized to fit the barrel bore, though calibers very close to each other typically only have a single size like 25 cal and 6.5, or 270 cal and 7mm.
Putting on too big of a patch will also make it difficult to fit the combination into the bore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems that most .22 jags are a very tight fit with a normal patch in the AR rifles.
A possible solution is to buy a .22 Rim Fire cleaning jag that are slightly smaller then .22 center fire jags.

Some people report using a .20 caliber jag works well, and some people use a .17 caliber jag, but they have to be used with a .17 caliber 5/40 thread rod because they have different threads then a standard 8/36 thread cleaning rod........

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-rods-amp-accessories/cleaning-rod-jags/copper-eliminator-male-thread-jags-prod44035.aspx

Personally, I lightly chuck a brass jag in a drill and run it while using a fine cut file to reduce the diameter.
It's also usually necessary to use smaller patches, and even then sometimes they need to be cut down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Don’t know if this applies, but I as I recall I bought a .22 brush/jag/something that didn’t seem to fit whatever I intended to clean.  Turns out there are separate .22 cleaning tips for both pistol and rifle.  Things got better after I got the weapon specific tip.  Didn’t make sense to me at the time, but that’s the way I remember it.......
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the same jag for anything from a 9mm to a .45 ACP and never questioned it.  I had no idea they sold jags in calibers. Well, I just ordered a few caliber specific jags off the web, so I'll soon be more precise in my cleaning.  Thanks for the tip, I learned something new today.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoppe's has a .17-.20 jag available on Amazon, that's what I use on my .22's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Boretech. Get the .17 cal jag and every thing else you'll ever need.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top