Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 4:08:56 PM EDT
So newbie here ,building my first AR with a 14.5 “ barrel and M- lock hand guard. I picked up a Magpul MS4 w QD attachment points ...so basically can either be a one point or two point set up.  I have QD attachment points on the stock , at the back of lower receiver and one on the hand guard . My real question is where to attach at the rear ...on the stock or to the rear receiver , and on the hand guard , closer to the receiver or out by the muzzle .so far I’ve only  been to the range one just to zero the rifle.. I’ve tried the sling around the house in all the different options ...I do see pros and cons .  At this point I’m pretty sure I’ll be going with a two point set up.  I have been  looking at the many pics of set up on here ...and I see so many different set ups .   I know...I need to find what works for me .

So basically, help the newbie out with input and opinion on what works and what doesn’t. Pros and cons of mounting on the stock or behind the lower receiver.....close or far out on the hand guard .  

Thanks , Cheenzo
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ms4, it was a hot mess of failure.
I got rid of the 2-1 bs and now its not full hot garbage.

Now the padded magpul slings like the ms1 is much better with just plane old qd ends.
End plate sling points are shit and always in the way
Having your sling attach all the way out by the muzzle is IMO shit as well.

End of stock/brace to right near the barrel nut and gives you good range of motion still and gives you unobstructed access to the handguard and doesnt get in the way when you go to reload.

Every time I see a video of someone shooting their ar15 with the sling all the way out by the muzzle they fumble the hell about trying to do mag changes or getting their support hand back on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
VCAS with QD swivels and done.

Quick, simple, and effective.

As for placement, I prefer as far opposite ends of the gun as possible for stability, so buttstock and front of handguard.  Placement is all personal preference, though, so try things out and see what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
All depends on what type of sling you are going to run, how you intend to use the sling, and all the other gear you are gonna run at the same time.

What I need/want as a target shooter using the sling like you'd learn in Appleseed while wearing a T-shirt will be different from what Joe Operator would need and find useful while wearing all sorts of tacticool crap.

Start with whatever sling you have, or like the initial look/design of, try it out.  Move those attachment points around and do whatever it is you are gonna do and see what works and what doesn't.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
VCAS with QD swivels and done.

Quick, simple, and effective.

As for placement, I prefer as far opposite ends of the gun as possible for stability, so buttstock and front of handguard.  Placement is all personal preference, though, so try things out and see what works for you.
View Quote

Quoted:
1-points simply aren’t practical in the real world; pretty cool everywhere else.

Blue Force/VCAS (recommend UNpadded, again for practicality) attached as far apart as you can get them with the rear as far back on the stock as possible and on the opposite (right side if you’re right-handed).
View Quote

What they said.

Single point is great for a slap in the nuts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
VTAC attached to right side of the stock as close to the butt as possible. Other end on left side of handguard out near the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Right side of stock, left side of HG close to barrel nut as posted aboveAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right side of stock, left side of HG close to barrel nut as posted abovehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425549/ED26BE11-50DC-43DD-9883-BF5D04226AC9_jpe-1844131.JPG
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
On longer guns >10.5” I want the sling to be pretty far out on the handguard, and attached to the outside of the buttstock as close to your body as possible.    On small guns <10.5” I want the sling kind of close to the barrel nut and the back of the sling in the same position as my long guns.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer back/top of buttstock slot (if available) and a couple slots forward of the receiver on the handguard.
If the stock has QD options, strong side mount, so the sling rides over the top of the stock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer KISS, ie standard USGI sling at/near the gas block and at the rear of the stock on rifles left side.  Adjust the sling once and that's it.  I'm right handed so my left arm goes thru the sling and over my head.  Muzzle down to the left.  This is how I've carried it for 90% of the time in nearly 40 yrs.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#12]
don't overthink it, slings should be simple and uncomplicated. Get a two point of decent quality of which there are many options. Mounting is going to be whatever you are comfortable with.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of good advice here.

This is a preference thing of course but I would advise staying away from the bungee slings.  Just too much movement when carrying and they seem to catch on a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I run MS4 slings reconfigured to MS1 2-point as someone mentioned above.  I like its rapid adjustability.   I have no use for balls-busting single point carry.

I am right handed.  I run front of the sling to support hand rail QD (left side) and rear to right rear stock QD.  It seems easier for me to bring the rifle up to ready from 2-point carry when configured that way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right side of stock, left side of HG close to barrel nut as posted abovehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425549/ED26BE11-50DC-43DD-9883-BF5D04226AC9_jpe-1844131.JPG
View Quote
I run the same sling and same front point but I'm a fan of the ASAP loop in front of the castle nut. I have 4 AR type guns set up that way and it works good for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top