Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2020 6:06:47 PM EDT
I have had my S&W Sport 2 for a few months and a couple of thousand rounds, all running flawlessly.  I got it set up the way I wanted but recently noticed the availability of a silent buffer assembly for the recoil spring.  And, the only real annoyance is that "twang" the spring makes.

Has anyone replaced their assembly with an SBA?  And, is it worth the bother?

The least expensive version I have found is the Trinity Force SCSV1 SBA AR Drop in Silent Recoil System (at around $45).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a JP SCS in my 16". It improved the recoil feel and eliminated the sprong. I'm not sure it's worth the premium, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the  Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring over the one you listed.
Or the JP silent captured spring but that one is about double the price of the Armaspec.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a $3 "Twang Buster" and some occasional dry lube on the spring.  Never a twang again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Spread a little grease on the spring. Should kill most of the "sproing". Personally, I'd throw an H2 and Sprinco "blue' in it if you are replacing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several JP SCS.
They not only eliminate the buffer spring noise, the rifle action is noticeably smoother.
If you’re looking to “tune” your rifle to eliminate or reduce the felt recoil impulse the JP is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several JP SCS.
They not only eliminate the buffer spring noise, the rifle action is noticeably smoother.
If you’re looking to “tune” your rifle to eliminate or reduce the felt recoil impulse the JP is awesome.
View Quote
Same here. Running JP SCS in 5.56 and 300BLK with great success.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or the JP silent captured spring but that one is about double the price of the Armaspec.
View Quote
Yep.  Started with a JP, and indeed it's quieter and smoother.  Next build is Armaspec for precisely the reason you state.  Armaspec has a good reputation, and the technology isn't that magical.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

I have the JP and Armaspec.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

I have the JP and Armaspec.
View Quote
Any appreciable difference in terms of the sound of the buffer sliding up and down the tube?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I also recommend this.  Takes away the sproing (most noticeable when suppressed) and smooths out the action and recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the JP SCS. It works as intended- basically it’s nearly silent and very smooth. It’s also expensive and seems heavy. Not sure if it’s rated for full auto either in case that matters. I’m running a geissele super 42 on another build and there’s no spring related noise when firing, and very little when closing the bolt. If there is any you would have to really focus to notice it. It’s also much cheaper and I suspect lighter than the JP. For the cheapest solution some grease (I use super lube) on any other quality spring (tubbs, springco, etc) is close to equivalent to the super 42 in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any appreciable difference in terms of the sound of the buffer sliding up and down the tube?
View Quote
Six in one hand, half dozen in the other. I’d let my wallet decide. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my JP SCS. Also have the Armaspec in another rifle and I like it too. For the bucks I would go Armaspec.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always ran the JP SCS and i really love them. I may try the Armaspec one of these days. I would also recommend some dry lube on the interior of the buffer tube. Some buffer tubes are also smoother then others as well. That also makes a difference in how much noise you get.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The Armaspec isn't that much more expensive than the Trinity version.  So, which Armaspec would be optimal for the S&W Sport 2 (H or H2)?  The rifle runs perfectly (except for the "sproing").
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I dabbed some axle grease on mine a few years ago and its been silent and 100% reliable since.

It occasionally chokes on super cheap wolf ammo under high rates of fire, but that's caused by the coating and bore temp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a polished JP recoil spring, a standard buffer, and a luttle Tetra grease on the spring and never have any spring noise. The cost and weught of the captured spring assembly is not necessary for a smoothe function and no noise.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#19]
$5 chrome silicone springs from Damage Industries for me with no grease, and I don't hear anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My recommendation is to embrace the "sprong"!

It will tell you when you are dry.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My recommendation is to embrace the "sprong"!

It will tell you when you are dry.
View Quote

You can tell your empty when you don't feel the bolt go forward.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top