Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2023 12:26:12 PM EDT
Just picked up my 716i today and already ran into my first issue.  During cleaning I noticed that the front of the bolt carrier is not machined flat.  The is a small section that looks like it was completely missed by the cutter.  It's raised probably a few thousandths from the carrier face and there is a noticeable ridge. Since this portion of the carrier impacts the barrel extension, I'm pretty sure it needs to be flat.  I don't want to try and file it flat, as it will probably damage the chrome lining.  I'll try reaching out to Sig.   I'm hoping I won't have to send the whole rifle back.  Has anyone heard of or seen anything like this before?  Hard to get pics but you can kind of see it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has the same raised area in the exact same place. I have 4k rounds through it and it has been flawless. Do not worry on it. It’s normal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I have no doubt that it will function fine, but I find it hard to believe that this is normal for all 716's?  The face of the carrier should be perfectly flat, as it slams into the back of the barrel extension during firing.  There will be quite a bit of impact force on just a small section of carrier, which also happens to be the thinnest part.  I sent an email to Sig, but I don't expect to hear back right away.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine has the same raised area in the exact same place. I have 4k rounds through it and it has been flawless. Do not worry on it. It’s normal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So I'm starting to think maybe this is normal for the 716i.  Any other Sig owners that can take a quick look at their carrier face to confirm that it has this raised area on the right side?  I found this pic and it seems to show the same thing.  Sig offered to look at it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.  
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For what it’s worth I’ve sent two pistols to sig in the past 6 months for things either I or the gun shop screwed up.

They’ll pay shipping and I had both guns back within 8 days each time with a note from the armor as to what was found, fixed, Test fire results, etc. I didn’t spend a cent.

If you can live without the gun for a week it’s probably worth the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Same way on mine. Functioning perfectly for 500 rounds.  I don't think that area ever has any contact with anything.  Not sure why they designed it but seems to be intentional.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Also found this pic on another site.  Looks pretty much same as mine.  
Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Found this one here on ARF:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I'm starting to think maybe this is normal for the 716i.  Any other Sig owners that can take a quick look at their carrier face to confirm that it has this raised area on the right side?  I found this pic and it seems to show the same thing.  Sig offered to look at it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20529/treadbcg_jpg-2813611.JPG

View Quote

I would not send it to SIG.  You may be surprised how long it takes to get it back.  Just shoot the rifle and monitor it for abnormal wear.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
That surface doesn’t mate / contact anything. What sort of malfunctions were you experiencing?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top