BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
And a safety. I don't even want a ambi safety. Tried the Gies ultra parts kit and the ambi safety would absolutely not work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If nothing else I would expect it to be more ammunition and temperature sensitive.  5.56 may work fine all day, but go below freezing with PMC and you may experience issues.
View Quote

Update:  Took my new 14.5 upper to the range today to check functioning.  It ran perfectly, albeit it seemed very stout in terms of being over gassed.  I am now more hopeful that once it is cut to 12.5 it will run 5.56 without need for valve work.  We will see.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
For those still looking for a 516 at a good price - I just picked up another one from Optics Planet.

Well, to be more precise I ordered one.  Right now they're saying may ship sometime in February.  Yes, I know Optics Planet doesn't have the best reputation, but for $569 with free shipping it was tough to pass up.  And I already own one, so the wait really isn't a problem.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-sig516-gen-2-upper-rcvr-assy-c.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one a few weeks back from them.  Then got a “Sorry, but we can’t fulfill this order” response. I don’t know why they’re still taking orders for it.
YMMV... I’ll order one if they’re truly available.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Ordered mine on December 6th.  I may be wrong, but I don't think website said anything about the upper not being in stock until I completed order. In any event, the order did go through and when I just checked the status of my order it said expected shipment in early February.  I have a bunch of AR's and haven't been going to the range all that much anyway due to the weather (temps. in the teens), so the delay isn't that big a deal to me.  Just happy to get a very nice upper for a great price.

BTW - website still has these up, so I assume they are taking orders, but didn't try to add another one to my cart.  If you're interested and willing to wait a couple of months I'd give it a try.  This is the best price I've seen on one in about 6 months and have seen other websites where these are listed for $599 sell out in a couple of hours.  If you want immediate delivery might be worthwhile to keep scouring the internet.  These do come up from time to time usually for $599.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Update:  Took my new 14.5 upper to the range today to check functioning.  It ran perfectly, albeit it seemed very stout in terms of being over gassed.  I am now more hopeful that once it is cut to 12.5 it will run 5.56 without need for valve work.  We will see.
View Quote

Well, my 516 upper has returned as a 12.5.  Hoping to get to the range in the next few days to test for functionality.  I will report results as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep up the good work! watchin closely!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, my 516 upper has returned as a 12.5.  Hoping to get to the range in the next few days to test for functionality.  I will report results as soon as I can.
View Quote

Can I ask: Who did you have cut it?  Did you have them pull the barrel and press off of gas block, or did you just send in the barrel?  What was the charge?

Thanks.  Might get mine cut to 10.3"
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
^^^ Interested as well regarding how the shortened barrel performs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can I ask: Who did you have cut it?  Did you have them pull the barrel and press off of gas block, or did you just send in the barrel?  What was the charge?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I am actually under a NDA at the moment as to who did the work.  I can say that it was a very well known AR15 experienced gunsmith.  As far as the process, I sent them the upper minus the rail and the gas piston parts.  I also sent them my own 516 barrel nut wrench as the 516 has an odd sized barrel nut and requires a special wrench (I bought mine from Parker Mountain Machine).  The gas block, to my knowledge, was not removed.  The barrel looks perfect, like it came from the factory as a 12.5.  I will definitely get some rounds through it this upcoming week.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Here they are again!!! https://www.sigsauer.com/pinned-and-welded-sig516-gen-2-upper-receiver-assembly-complete-16-in-semi-special-configuration.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Sucks the price is up.

ETA: Just noticed these are pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, but least its already pinned and welded, sadly I doubt we'll see them cheap again
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yeah, but least its already pinned and welded, sadly I doubt we'll see them cheap again
View Quote
I prefer the unpinned version.  These are nice for most guys though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not a bad deal if your intentions were to P&W the 14.5 from the outset, and are happy with the Sig FH.  If you want to use some other FH or brake/compensator, or you want to run a suppressor, then this is not the option for you.  I do agree that for most people this is a nice and convenient way to go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

UPDATE:  Drove over to Kentucky Gun Co. to use their indoor range.  Fired 80 rounds of three different brands of 5.56 (IMI, Federal and Sig).  Mixed results.  Things started out fine, then it became apparent that the rifle preferred one brand over the others (IMI).  With the Federal and Sig I experience a few FTF and failure to have bolt lockback after final round.  Switching the valve to the highest gas position seemed to help some but did not completely eliminate the problems.

Thoughts:  Before I open up the gas valve I first plan to switch out the buffer from the current H2 that was in the SBR lower I was using to try both carbine and H weight buffers to see if that makes any difference.  Second thought is to borrow the gas valve from my 10" 516 and see if that makes any difference in functioning.  If it does I may just order another 10" gas valve from Sig (assuming they will sell me one).  I actually have a spare gas valve but it is for the 16" model.  As a last resort I can use that and have it opened up.  Would I be correct in assuming that any reasonably competent gunsmith could handle that type of job?  Or should I just go to a local machine shop and have it opened up?

Edit:  I have just compared the gas valve that came with the upper against the valve in my 10" 516.  The port openings are noticeably larger in the 10" gas valve.  Also, just put a carbine weight buffer in.  Will try that first, then the 10" valve.

As far as shooting, the rifle shot great.  I have an Accupoint 1-4X24 red triangle scope on it right now and it makes for a very nice compact package.  I am a big fan of the red triangle reticle, for sure.  That's it for now.  I'll keep everyone updated, and anyone with thoughts to share, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the update appreciate it
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

UPDATE:  Drove over to Kentucky Gun Co. to use their indoor range.  Fired 80 rounds of three different brands of 5.56 (IMI, Federal and Sig).  Mixed results.  Things started out fine, then it became apparent that the rifle preferred one brand over the others (IMI).  With the Federal and Sig I experience a few FTF and failure to have bolt lockback after final round.  Switching the valve to the highest gas position seemed to help some but did not completely eliminate the problems.

Thoughts:  Before I open up the gas valve I first plan to switch out the buffer from the current H2 that was in the SBR lower I was using to try both carbine and H weight buffers to see if that makes any difference.  Second thought is to borrow the gas valve from my 10" 516 and see if that makes any difference in functioning.  If it does I may just order another 10" gas valve from Sig (assuming they will sell me one).  I actually have a spare gas valve but it is for the 16" model.  As a last resort I can use that and have it opened up.  Would I be correct in assuming that any reasonably competent gunsmith could handle that type of job?  Or should I just go to a local machine shop and have it opened up?

Edit:  I have just compared the gas valve that came with the upper against the valve in my 10" 516.  The port openings are noticeably larger in the 10" gas valve.  Also, just put a carbine weight buffer in.  Will try that first, then the 10" valve.

As far as shooting, the rifle shot great.  I have an Accupoint 1-4X24 red triangle scope on it right now and it makes for a very nice compact package.  I am a big fan of the red triangle reticle, for sure.  That's it for now.  I'll keep everyone updated, and anyone with thoughts to share, I would appreciate it.
View Quote
I would probably compare the port between the original and your 10", then drill it out half way between the two.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Im looking for one of these.

Going to order from OP and play the waiting game. WIll cancel if I trip across one before it ships I guess?

I'd be happy with a 10.5, 11.5 or 14.5 - no pins and welds though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Second outing with the 12.5 (cut down from 14.5).  Back at Ky. Gun Co., only change was the use of a carbine weight buffer instead of the H2 buffer used previously.  Using the original 14.5 unmodified gas valve in the adverse position, all brands of 5.56 fired reliably and the bolt locked back at the end of each magazine.  The brands of ammo I was using were:  Federal, Winchester, Sig, IMI and S&B.  Firing the 516 in the normal setting, only the Federal and the Winchester would lock back at the end of a mag.  The IMI and S&B would get through a magazine on normal without FTF problems, but simply would not lock open.  The Sig 5.56 was the weakest of the bunch.  Besides not locking back, it had one FTF on the normal setting.

Here is my thinking.  I have an extra gas valve same size as came in the 14.5.  I will have the normal and adverse ports enlarged by my gunsmith with the hope of being able to run the rifle as a 12.5 on the normal gas setting, and with an H1 buffer, with no malfunctions and achieving lockback at the end of the magazine.  Any suggestions as to port sizes to use?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Any suggestions as to port sizes to use?
View Quote

I would go for 5% more gas flow.  not more than 10% more gas flow.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
so when you cut these, are people opening the gas port on the barrel or the gas valve?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so when you cut these, are people opening the gas port on the barrel or the gas valve?
View Quote

The gas valve.  According to my discussions with Sig customer service, the gas port on the barrel, whether it be a 516 or an MCX, is the same size regardless of barrel length.  Gas pressure is regulated via the size of the ports in the gas valve.  I know that if you look at the gas valve port size for my 10" 516, the ports are considerably larger than the valve ports for the gas valve that came with my 14.5 (in this case now 12.5) barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The gas valve.  According to my discussions with Sig customer service, the gas port on the barrel, whether it be a 516 or an MCX, is the same size regardless of barrel length.  Gas pressure is regulated via the size of the ports in the gas valve.  I know that if you look at the gas valve port size for my 10" 516, the ports are considerably larger than the valve ports for the gas valve that came with my 14.5 (in this case now 12.5) barrel.
View Quote

Perfect I'm looking at buying one that's been cut and if it's just the piston not the barrel that is tuned, it's an easier to handle part of it needs opened or replaced
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know a retailer that has the smaller gas valve in stock? I believe it is part # 1701058-R and has a UPC of 798681490844. Optics Planet use to carry it in stock, but it looks like they no longer carry it. I know CDNN Spots carried them at one time as well, but doesn't like they carry them any longer.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-gas-valve-auto-516.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a new 516-14.5 non pinned upper on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a new 516-14.5 non pinned upper on the EE.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Still looking for one. Anyone have any leads?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I got one off of Reddit GunAccessoriesForSale. New in the box for $600. Posted a WTB and waited a few days. It was a 14.5” I put on an SBR lower.

I sent my Upper to ZR Tactical Solutions in Indiana. He cut, threaded, and crowned my barrel to 10.5” and he put the proper gas port sizes in my gas plug (he works on these and MCXs enough that he knows what to do). Turnaround was super fast and I’m very happy with the gun. Using an H2 buffer in mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Who else is doing service on 516 uppers that you guys would recommend for cut and rethread service?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Still looking for one. Anyone have any leads?
View Quote

Same, definitely need one of these in my life.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got one off of Reddit GunAccessoriesForSale. New in the box for $600. Posted a WTB and waited a few days. It was a 14.5" I put on an SBR lower.

I sent my Upper to ZR Tactical Solutions in Indiana. He cut, threaded, and crowned my barrel to 10.5" and he put the proper gas port sizes in my gas plug (he works on these and MCXs enough that he knows what to do). Turnaround was super fast and I'm very happy with the gun. Using an H2 buffer in mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528549/777EC2BB-69E9-4032-8B9D-7CD424992B21_jpe-1853872.JPG
View Quote
How much did he charge for the work?

I dropped one of my uppers off with a local smith after the election. He still has it
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I asked for a quote and I think it’s $199 according to the web page he sent me to.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got one off of Reddit GunAccessoriesForSale. New in the box for $600. Posted a WTB and waited a few days. It was a 14.5” I put on an SBR lower.

I sent my Upper to ZR Tactical Solutions in Indiana. He cut, threaded, and crowned my barrel to 10.5” and he put the proper gas port sizes in my gas plug (he works on these and MCXs enough that he knows what to do). Turnaround was super fast and I’m very happy with the gun. Using an H2 buffer in mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528549/777EC2BB-69E9-4032-8B9D-7CD424992B21_jpe-1853872.JPG
View Quote

Any idea if he works on 556s?  
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top