Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
Hi y'all,

I've searched and searched, but can't quite find any response to this issue directly, or a product that would prove as the counterexample to close this question.

In essence: does there exist any reciprocating side-charging 9mm BCG (or completed standard mil-spec upper with BCG included) for the AR-15 platform?

I have seen quite a few "AR pistol side charging uppers" but what these really are are just pistol caliber stripped upper forgings mated with standard 'AR-9' equipment, such as the BCG, short barrel, etc. As such, it implies they are just non-reciprocating side chargers, since the fundamental design of a "mil-spec non-reciprocating" side charger mounts the handle shaft just between the top of the bolt carrier and gas key (absent in 9mm BCG) resting atop the cam pin, so that the only proprietary component is the cam pin.

In my particular build, I have a rifle caliber upper forging with the necessary cut to accept reciprocating side-charging bolt carriers, but all I have ever found are .223/5.56 mil-spec bolt carriers that can accept other rifle rounds (provided bolt swap of course). Nothing in 9mm.

Could anybody provide an example of a product like the one I have described?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you already have a BCA type upper, just get a gunsmith to drill and tap your 9mm BCG for a CH

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you already have a BCA type upper, just get a gunsmith to drill and tap your 9mm BCG for a CH

https://ar15buildersforum.com/uploads/default/original/1X/b8ac9a3b18132b69f1dfdf07d5a0a64ab356f2cd.JPG
View Quote

i had that done to a 7.62X39 bolt carrier.It works fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips guys, I've admittedly never consulted with a gunsmith to get a job done, always looking for ways to DIY. How much would a gunsmith charge for drilling into an aluminum/NiB bolt carrier to enable reciprocating side-charging upper compatibility? Ballpark estimates, ish?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips guys, I've admittedly never consulted with a gunsmith to get a job done, always looking for ways to DIY. How much would a gunsmith charge for drilling into an aluminum/NiB bolt carrier to enable reciprocating side-charging upper compatibility? Ballpark estimates, ish?
View Quote

If you just go to a machine shop it will likely be cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
new frontier armory is what you seek.  They have side charging handle uppers in multiple calibers.  Their lowers take Glock mags.

I wish they had the 4" 9mm upper in stock...

www.newfrontierarmory.com
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
new frontier armory is what you seek.  They have side charging handle uppers in multiple calibers.  Their lowers take Glock mags.

I wish they had the 4" 9mm upper in stock...

www.newfrontierarmory.com
View Quote

Not what he seeks at all.

He specifically stated he wants a reciprocating side charger.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top