Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2018 10:08:06 PM EDT
Installed a Superlative Arms rifle length clamp on piston kit on a new Criterion 18" H barrel. Aero M-lok handguards.

Initial test was with a blue "Sprinco" spring and H2 buffer. Result: Short stroking. Same problem with standard buffer and spring. No lock back on last round even with adjustment at maximum.

Double checked the gas block is indeed centered and with a small gap between the shoulder and block. Built several rifles before, so I am familiar with the process. All torqued to spec and moves freely. No unusual friction in buffer tube noted.

To my understanding a rifle length system requires more gas. Hesitant to open up the port if not needed. Not something that is reversible.

I used a Lantac bolt in Superlative's carrier. It is a rather loose fit as it another milspec bolt I tested.

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you troubleshooted with superlative arms? Opening the gas port is the only thing I could think of as well, as it is the only thing that would make sense in this situation.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you troubleshooted with superlative arms? Opening the gas port is the only thing I could think of as well, as it is the only thing that would make sense in this situation.
View Quote
Not yet. Can be difficult to reach them. Several calls. No answer.

I have spoke to them before. Very nice, but can be hard to reach.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
if they get back to you please update us. What handguard did you put this on? is the op-rod clearing the barrel nut without touching it? The friction could be interfering
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
if they get back to you please update us. What handguard did you put this on? is the op-rod clearing the barrel nut without touching it? The friction could be interfering
View Quote
Aero Gen 2 Enhanced M-lok.  The op rod literally slides in and out. Adjusted the nut to exactly 37 ft-lbs with shims to precisely center it.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-enhanced-mlok-handguards.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Aero Gen 2 Enhanced M-lok.  The op rod literally slides in and out. Adjusted the nut to exactly 37 ft-lbs with shims to precisely center it.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-enhanced-mlok-handguards.html
View Quote
the only thing that makes sense would be not enough gas entering the system
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

the only thing that makes sense would be not enough gas entering the system
View Quote
Exactly. I have calls into Criterion and Superlative. Hesitant to make permanent modifications without exploring all options.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry I can't be more help. Keep up posted
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
You said it wasn't locking open.  Would it cycle at all?  Check to be sure your bolt catch is working.  At full gas, the recoil should be fairly stiff.  Is it?  Check to make sure you're adjusting in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Called Criterion barrels today. Still have not reached Superlative.

Suggested the possibility the system is OVER gassed and running too fast. It is possible.

Will need to lower the setting, test at range and post updates.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't know they made a piston kit.  Interesting.  Please update when you can.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't know they made a piston kit.  Interesting.  Please update when you can.
View Quote
Criterion only made the barrel. Superlative makes the piston kit. I've found Criterion VERY helpful in the past. They are always willing to learn and help.

Will test and report shortly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE:

Installed white "standard" power Sprinco spring and standard (not H or H2) buffer. 18" barrel w/ rifle length gas system.

With gas port opened 3.5 out of 4.5 max turns was able to lock back on empty chamber, reload rounds and eject to 4 o'clock.

Seems rifle length presents some issues.

Will put a few hundred down range shortly and report back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Barrel’s gas port needs opened up for the piston kit.....only way you will get the piston kit to run.
Rifle length gas systems can be touchy even when running DI.

What ammo have you been running?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Barrel’s gas port needs opened up for the piston kit.....only way you will get the piston kit to run.
Rifle length gas systems can be touchy even when running DI.

What ammo have you been running?
View Quote
Tested what I had due to time constraints: Federal 55 grain. Ran well at 3.5 of 4.5 screw turns, but with standard buffer and spring. Hope to test others shortly.

I have calls into Superlative. The owner's nephew said they'd get back to me, but opening up the port is let resort they disfavor.  If it works well with standard buffer/spring and with a variety of ammunition I may just let it go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Have in the adjustable gas set to nearly all the way open with mediocre ammo tells me it’s undergassed
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have in the adjustable gas set to nearly all the way open with mediocre ammo tells me it’s undergassed
View Quote
I agree. Undergassed. The question is whether it is worth opening the gas port and, if so, how much.

With 4 o'clock ejection and cycling, albeit with standard buffer & standard spring, do I just leave it alone?

Hope to hear back from Superlative and will also call the extremely helpful Criterion again as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, you need more manufacture support
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE:

I speak to Tony, the owner of Superlative, who says that with a RIFLE length gas system it is normal to need a standard spring and buffer and the gas open full 4.5 turns.

This I did NOT see coming as every other piston and DI carbine I have starts with an H2 buffer and more powerful spring. They all like blue "Sprinco" brand.

So......it would seem the piston kits and rifle length gas systems are a bit more finicky. Should have gone with a mid-length.

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The barrel you chose is your problem, not the piston kit.

Not all barrels are compatible with adjustable gas valves. Simply put, this barrel is gassed properly. The piston system you chose needs a larger port to run nominally at its mind range setting.  Some 18” barrels with rifle length gas systems are very troublesome. It’s about the port size and the dwell time.
Personally, I would not want an adjustable gas system that I had to run full open to get to run.

If you were shooting this setup suppressed, you would end up in a mite mid-range setting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Did you try getting rid of the gap between the gas block and shoulder?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The barrel you chose is your problem, not the piston kit.

Not all barrels are compatible with adjustable gas valves. Simply put, this barrel is gassed properly. The piston system you chose needs a larger port to run nominally at its mind range setting.  Some 18” barrels with rifle length gas systems are very troublesome. It’s about the port size and the dwell time.
Personally, I would not want an adjustable gas system that I had to run full open to get to run.

If you were shooting this setup suppressed, you would end up in a mite mid-range setting.
View Quote
Good points. After further conversations with Superlative I am told it is running correctly. Locks back on empty mag and ejects to 4 o'clock with 3.5 out of 4.5 turns. At 4.5 (fully open) at times it will not lock.

Did not realize an 18" barrel would be problematic. Next time its a 16 or 20.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you try getting rid of the gap between the gas block and shoulder?
View Quote
If I did that the port would not line up with the block. Triple checked.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top