Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2020 12:55:36 PM EDT
Has anyone else experienced this?  In one outing from just a few rounds, I had two cases do this to me.  Factory new, in an otherwise seemingly fine AR10 in 6.5 CM.  This occurred in a Diamondback AR10 Rifle; that otherwise hasn't had any issues like this.

We had just gotten through firing a box of cheap MAGTEC 6.5 CM FMJ ammo.  Loaded up a mag of S&B 140 gr FMJ 6.5 CM ammo, and the very first shot of that did this.   Finished out the box (we didn't realize at first this happpened, just that it was really smokey).  The nearly 100 rounds of R-P and Win brassed 6.5 CM just fired out of the gun immediately prior, all came out fine and look fine; no indicators of an oversized chamber or anything.

The thing is, I've shot hundreds of this ammo in my PSA AR10, and haven't noticed this.  Is anyone else experiencing this with S&B?  Or a Diamondback rifle?  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No, I've shot about 100 rounds of it, no issues.

ETA: Thru a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea I don't know what to make of it.  The worst part is I've found S&B brass to be much more weight consistent than Hornady and most other common brass; so have been setting aside as my match-grade brass for future reloading.  All the other S&B casings seem great and I've never seen this before - now, I don't know what to make of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a bad batch of brass. Hopefully just a few not 10% of everything made that month.

Email them, let them know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot about 130 rounds of S&B FMJ, and SP within the last couple of weeks without issue, but those were in a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had issues S&B brass in 6.5x55 in the past. Seems awfully soft and thin. I'd get maybe 4-5 loadings and it was ready for the scrap bucket. This was with fairly mild loads safe for the old Swedes. Shame, because the factory ammo was under 1 MOA in my Tikka. As way of comparison, with basically the same load with PPU brass I get over 10 loadings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have approx 300 rounds through an RPR and haven't had an issue.   I have inspected every case.    Lot number is different though.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:
Just a bad batch of brass. Hopefully just a few not 10% of everything made that month.

Email them, let them know.
View Quote

Is that caused by thin brass? I don't think I have ever seen a case failure like that before. If someone could explain, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I had very similar experience with S&B factory ammo in 7mm Mauser.  I won't buy their rifle rounds anymore.  Split cases have high potentiality for blowing up guns, especially guns like the older Mauser Bolt action I was shooting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I had very similar experience with S&B factory ammo in 7mm Mauser.  I won't buy their rifle rounds anymore.  Split cases have high potentiality for blowing up guns, especially guns like the older Mauser Bolt action I was shooting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AL_Safety:
I had very similar experience with S&B factory ammo in 7mm Mauser.  I won't buy their rifle rounds anymore.  Split cases have high potentiality for blowing up guns, especially guns like the older Mauser Bolt action I was shooting.
View Quote

So I wrote S&B about it.  Response was kind of along the lines of this happens in some rifle chambers.  I'm kind of not OK with that.  I don't care if some manufacture's make sloppy chambers; you sort of need to engineer your stuff to not rip open and potentially Kaboom; because everyone else has figured it out.  

On the same token, I have a bunch of S&B LR Primers that pop and blow blanks of brass back into the firing pin channel at 6.5 CM pressures on reloads, when nobody else' primer does on the same reloads.   Whoever the chief metallurgist and/or metallurgical QC manager is at S&B is... I hate to say it, but I'm not too impressed.

I will say, the brass doesn't split in any of MY guns, but still... really guys?  This is OK?  All this, on top of a nearly fraudulently false BC they publish for their 6.5 CM FMJ bullet.  It is WAY off; and S&B isn't really looking like they're on their game right now.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top