Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 12:37:28 PM EDT
Have managed to pick up a few packs of the above, so in doing some online research into them as a reloadable projectile, but I'm not seeing a lot of information in the form of reviews and testing

Maybe they've been discussed in the past but the thread(s) became archive fodder?

I've been using other S&B products with great success for several decades, but the above 55gr came my way as I ideally want to replicate the original M193 round, or as close as I can approximate it, but cannot easily find the Sierra 55gr FMJ bullets here that were used in the original M193 design/trials - CONUS shortage issues notwithstanding, the Sierra FMJ here are selling for in excess of $32+ per 100 - so a lot of outlay for a basic FMJ bullet.
One snippet I discovered is that they either have a steel core or a steel penetrator, as they can be picked up by a magnet...

I'd be interested to see of anyone has done a similar M193-clone project in the past with the S&B bullets...as if they perform as I hope I may look to buy a larger qty
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In the past (like 15 years ago) I would buy S&B 223 and 556 ammo. It came in the small 20 round, light green boxes for $2.99. This included the regular 55gr FMJ that was a commercial load and the 62gr SS109 variant that looked to be mil-surp. Both were good shooters and I would buy it today over Federal or Winchester FMJ. The only new commercial S&B ammo that I have shot is their 9mm FMJ. Very good consistent ammo and I wish I could find more.

But I have never heard or experienced any 55gr ammo/bullets with ANY steel or being magnetic. New stuff comes out all the time and with the ammo shortage, shit that has been sitting in storage, waiting to be dumped, now became worth exporting to the USA.

OP do you know if ammo is new commercial or some Mil-surp and showed up? I'm afraid that if the price of copper keeps increasing we will see more and more ammo with steel rather than brass and lead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I would guess it is steel jacket, not steel core or steel penetrator.

Glue it down and hit it with a sander, look for sparks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
S&B 55gr has a bimetallic jacket that’s why it’s magnetic
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S&B 55gr has a bimetallic jacket that’s why it’s magnetic
View Quote

Ah, was not aware of that, thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the past (like 15 years ago) I would buy S&B 223 and 556 ammo. It came in the small 20 round, light green boxes for $2.99. This included the regular 55gr FMJ that was a commercial load and the 62gr SS109 variant that looked to be mil-surp. Both were good shooters and I would buy it today over Federal or Winchester FMJ. The only new commercial S&B ammo that I have shot is their 9mm FMJ. Very good consistent ammo and I wish I could find more.

But I have never heard or experienced any 55gr ammo/bullets with ANY steel or being magnetic. New stuff comes out all the time and with the ammo shortage, shit that has been sitting in storage, waiting to be dumped, now became worth exporting to the USA.

OP do you know if ammo is new commercial or some Mil-surp and showed up? I'm afraid that if the price of copper keeps increasing we will see more and more ammo with steel rather than brass and lead.
View Quote

Hi
It's in small green boxes of 100 - will try to get photos but the bloke who mailed it to me wrapped them together as a block with brown tape, but straight onto the box, so some of the print details lifted off
I have another 100 box from a different source which is undamaged so I will look that one out

As I said, these are components only, not live ammo

I was a big user of S&B 9mm back when handguns were still legal - it was really nice stuff and well priced
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was a big user of S&B 9mm back when handguns were still legal
View Quote

Just had to look, did some math.

UK and Fairfax County murder rates are the same and we have all the guns you can think of.

I guess it's not the guns.

Washington D.C. on the other hand has almost no legal gun ownership and it is a war zone in the summer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hi
It's in small green boxes of 100 - will try to get photos but the bloke who mailed it to me wrapped them together as a block with brown tape, but straight onto the box, so some of the print details lifted off
I have another 100 box from a different source which is undamaged so I will look that one out

As I said, these are components only, not live ammo

I was a big user of S&B 9mm back when handguns were still legal - it was really nice stuff and well priced
View Quote

Derr. I now see you were talking only about the pills not the whole cartridge.

I believe reading about some mil-surp 5.56 ammo, from Chech Republic a few years ago that had bi-metal jackets. So maybe you are getting pulled components or commercial runs from the same source.  

And also that you are in GB! Fantastic and cheers.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top