Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2021 11:55:47 AM EDT
Is iwi razor wire 77grain in 5.56 gtg?  I was trying to buy gold but the hunt has been empty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is iwi razor wire 77grain in 5.56 gtg?  I was trying to buy gold but the hunt has been empty.
View Quote
You need to test it in your rifle. I might get a nice 1.5" group in my gun and yours could string it 3.5". Every rifle is a special snowflake.

That said, it's pretty good ammo. I found Magtech CBC to be more accurate in my guns, but IWI is worth testing.

For now, with ammo availability what it is, you get what you can get. If you can put 5-10 rounds into 2-3MOA or better, you're GTG for war loads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
When you say gold do you mean wolf gold? If you mean wold gold IMI razor core is far better ammo in just about any way possible except price. IMI Razor core is often compared to black hills mk262
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you say gold do you mean wolf gold? If you mean wold gold IMI razor core is far better ammo in just about any way possible except price. IMI Razor core is often compared to black hills mk262
View Quote

Sorry, speer gold dots
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Razorcore 77 is good ammo if you can find it.   The CBC 77 SMK was more accurate in my testing but it was discontinued even before the ammo panic.  I haven't shot 75 Gold Dots so I can't compare.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Any difference in ammunition precision, even when comparing extreme ends of the spectrum, will be entirely academic in 99.X% of real-world defensive uses. What you have is more than fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
IMI 77 grain "Razor Core".

Speer 75 grain Gold Dot

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up some imi . Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It is GTG.  Not sure if it is as hot as it used to be.  I stocked up on it many years ago.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is GTG.  Not sure if it is as hot as it used to be.  I stocked up on it many years ago.

View Quote
No longer loaded to "occasional popped/pierced primer" hot but still very much so full-power 5.56.

It's good stuff and a worthy MK262 clone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
oh gold dots. In that case I'd take gold dots over the imi
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
77 grain imi razorcore is basically a mk262 clone. It requires a higher velocity to tumble yaw and fragment than 75gr gold dot does to expand. At self defense distances, it will tumble yaw and fragment far more reliably and is acceptable as a self defense round.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The CBC 77 SMK was more accurate in my testing but it was discontinued even before the ammo panic.  
View Quote
Oh man. The Magtech CBC mk262 clone was discontinued? I didn't know that.

That was great ammo that was readily available and reasonably priced compared to others in its class.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#13]
As most people, I would choose the Gold Dot (or Federal Fusion MSR) as my first choice from a hunting/SD perspective over the MK262 and clones. Having said that most of my stash is MK2622 clones (IMI and CBC with some BH).

I would try both, make sure your rifle likes it and shoots it to POA (some ammo has given me weird POA/POI too far off from my practice ammo that precluded it from use). As long as your gun puts it into 3MOA it will be fine for SD. Due to my accuracy OCD, I'd rather keep 1.5MOA ammo with mediocre terminal performance over a 3MOA load with fantastic terminal performance.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top