Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2019 10:30:44 PM EDT
Anyone know torque specs for Seekins Gas Block set screws? Do you use loc-tite too?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Pin it and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I find it very odd the Seekins’ web site FAQ lists a bunch of torque values, but none for their gas blocks.

With a little searching, I found this... seems reasonable:

Per Technical Repair Standard (TRS) SOFWEP-07-G12P-00032-00 Rev 1 Appx H.

Apply one drop of Loctite 242 per screw hole and torque set screws to 25 in-lbs.

This is approved method for low profile gas blocks for M4A1 URGs.

CD
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just call them and ask 1 208-743-3400
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for replies to all. I found same thing on their web page no torque specs for gas blocks. I also saw the 25 inch pound reference. I emailed Seekins and got no response so I called today and was told they don’t really have any recommended torque specs. Just tighten them down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for replies to all. I found same thing on their web page no torque specs for gas blocks. I also saw the 25 inch pound reference. I emailed Seekins and got no response so I called today and was told they don’t really have any recommended torque specs. Just tighten them down.
View Quote
It's because they know it's not going to hold regardless of what you do. Screws that size can only take maybe 15-25 in-lbs, but that doesn't provide enough clamping force, so they tell people to crank down on them. Threads that small can't take that much force, though, so it will come loose anyways. At least that's my theory.

Let's just say there's a damn good reason why lots of gas blocks now either come pre drilled for a pin or at least have already been spot faced to make drilling for a pin easier. And also a damn good reason why you don't see set screw gas blocks on other platforms as a rule.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find it very odd the Seekins’ web site FAQ lists a bunch of torque values, but none for their gas blocks.

With a little searching, I found this... seems reasonable:

Per Technical Repair Standard (TRS) SOFWEP-07-G12P-00032-00 Rev 1 Appx H.

Apply one drop of Loctite 242 per screw hole and torque set screws to 25 in-lbs.

This is approved method for low profile gas blocks for M4A1 URGs.

CD
View Quote
Blue loctite?  Interesting. A lot of what I’ve been reading says use red
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top