Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2020 6:42:00 PM EDT
Long time lurker, first time caller.  Just wanted to get a gut check to see if I'm getting this right for my first .22lr build:

RTB 9mm/.22 upper
RTB 4.5 inch barrel and collar
CMMG bolt kit w/ 3 mags
Guntech 5.5 flash hider until I get a can
VTAC 7 inch Alpha Rail or maybe something else.  I like the circular style handguard I've seen on some builds but Troy doesn't make theirs anymore.  I'm not going to accessorize beyond sights and a handstop.
LPK from somewhere.
PSA EPT trigger.
Charging handle (suggestions?) and insert.
Lower - not sure if Aero M4E1 is overkill for this build but I like the fact that it comes with a tensioning screw.  I can get an Anderson or Aero at the local gun shop.
KNS Precision stock adapter (to flange or not to flange?)
SB Tactical FS1913 - not sure if this is made anymore, some sites say discontinued and some say backordered.

Let me know what you think and if I'm missing anything.  I'm trying not to get too expensive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip the CMMG mags and get either a Catch-22 (since you are dedicating a lower to it) or a Boonie Packer BetterMag adapter. This will allow you to use much better S&W M&P15-22 magazines.

I do fine with a standard AR charging handle. There are rare cases (I'm talking 1 in 500 rounds) where an extracted shell gets up and into the gas tube hole in the standard AR. Some fill the hole with JB Weld or similar but I just live with it since it happens so rarely.

Otherwise it looks good. Put a suppressor on it and it's going to be BLAST!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about the rail length and barrel length.  Is the rail large enough for a can to fit inside?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure about the rail length and barrel length.  Is the rail large enough for a can to fit inside?
View Quote

Most any 22lr can is smaller than the diameter of an AR barrel nut so it would be really extraordinary for that to be a problem on a 22.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Skip the CMMG mags and get either a Catch-22 (since you are dedicating a lower to it) or a Boonie Packer BetterMag adapter. This will allow you to use much better S&W M&P15-22 magazines.

I do fine with a standard AR charging handle. There are rare cases (I'm talking 1 in 500 rounds) where an extracted shell gets up and into the gas tube hole in the standard AR. Some fill the hole with JB Weld or similar but I just live with it since it happens so rarely.

Otherwise it looks good. Put a suppressor on it and it's going to be BLAST!
View Quote

Yep I was going to come in here and recommend the Boonie Packer. I just got the kit earlier this week after having it on backorder. The website recently got their inventory back in stock, so now is the time to order. Let me just say it made my AR that much more fun to shoot. I'm just so happy with this little kit.

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/

All you need is S&W magazines and you're good to go as far as having bolt stop function. I have been using the CMMG magazines for a few years but always wanted to have a functional bolt stop. This has provided me with that and I'm not sure why I didn't do it years ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Would a Catch-22 bolt release do the same thing?  I've already got the three CMMG magazines that came with the bolt kit and hadn't planned on buying more unless these don't work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would a Catch-22 bolt release do the same thing?  I've already got the three CMMG magazines that came with the bolt kit and hadn't planned on buying more unless these don't work.
View Quote
The catch 22 latch will work to hold the bolt back only if you manually lock it back when using CMMG/Black Dog magazines since the follower does not contact the latch.

This is from RTB website:

Magazine compatibility:

For the bolt catch to provide true last-round-hold-open, the magazine that is used needs to have a follower that sticks out of the back and will engage the bolt catch after the last round. Because of this, different magazines will offer different last round functionality.

CMMG / Black Dog "Standard" (X-form, Sonic Weld, etc.): These magazines have a follower that sticks up after the last round is fired, but it doesn't reach out of thee back which is required to hit the bolt catch. The bolt catch will need to be manually engaged to hold the bolt back after the magazine is removed.

https://www.righttobear.com/Catch22-Bolt-Catch-for-22LR-p/catch22.htm

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
CMMG mags, all that I have tried suck

I prefer Blackdog mags all mine have reliable last round bolt hold open.
I have used S&W 1522 mags and mag adapter they work but IMO less parts is better
Get a CMMG 22 LR charging handle.
Also a pressure plug, I have taccom3g's but I don't think they are available anymore, I think a member here AR15 was making  and selling them.

Any standard  lower works, pick your roll mark
I have two dedicated AR 22's, one pistol 4" barrel and rifle with 17" ultra light barrel both on top of 80% lowers
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Might keep an extra extractor and spring on hand.
I have a Franklin BFSIII binary trigger on my pistol, seems like every few thousand rounds it eats an extractor.
My rifle I run a CMC 3.5# trigger
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to save a couple $$s on a flash hider you can make something like I did. I had a couple 1/2 to 3/4 adapters laying around that screwed on the end of the barrel. 3/4 EMT conduit fits loosely over the adapter. I JB welded the conduit to the adapter then put a wrap of masking tape around it so the epoxy wouldn’t ooze out. Install it on the upper, slip hand guard on, then use earplugs as spacers at the muzzle end to center it up while the JB weld sets up.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
OP.  Welcome to the forums.  You have a solid build in mind and should be good to go.  I love my super shorty .22 upper.  We've run it hard with a Franklin BFS3 trigger.  Plan to suppress yours at some point.  It's totally worth it.  With that bbl length it keeps the bulk .22 stuff subsonic without the need to have to buy standard velocity or subsonic labeled ammo specifically.

Here is a video of mine in action.
22AR with Dead Air Mask, Franklin Armory BFS3, Bore Buddy accessory upgrades.

As you can see with the CMMG or Black Dog magazines you have to run the charging handle after swapping each mag.  With that catch 22 and S&W mag adapter they are talking about you retain the functionality of your typical bolt catch.  Mine is just a fun range toy so I've never felt the need to go that route but if your building this for training purposes to mimic it's centerfire cousin it would be worth considering.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all.  I'll get the better mag adapter on my next build.  This is just going to be a plinker.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
if the cmmg bolt kit runs as well as the 22lr banshee youre going to love it. im about 500 rnds in with no malfunctions (CCI SV, CCI AR tactical, CCI MiniMag).

get lower parts kit from forward controls designs. free shipping if you only get the springs and detents.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks all.  I'll get the better mag adapter on my next build.  This is just going to be a plinker.
View Quote

Stick to the Blackdog mags over the CMMG ones.  I have a few and almost never take them along compared to my Blackdog mags.

The pressure plug is a good accessory.  RTB or BoreBuddy is where to find one. I don't think TACCOM offers it any more.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I may be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time. One thing I saw you mention was a collar for the barrel. If you are picking up the CMMG 22lr bcg, that will already have the collar on the front of it. It's part of the bcg so you should not need one for the barrel.

Oooops, never mind. It looks like the CMMG with 3 mags is a conversion bcg instead of a dedicated bcg. In that case, the collar is needed. However, I see no reason why you couldnt go with the RTB dedicated BCG and 4.5" barrel combo. Then just buy whatever mags you want. I have both CMMG bcgs and recently a RTB 22lr bcg and I really cant see any difference in quality, JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I may be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time. One thing I saw you mention was a collar for the barrel. If you are picking up the CMMG 22lr bcg, that will already have the collar on the front of it. It's part of the bcg so you should not need one for the barrel.

Oooops, never mind. It looks like the CMMG with 3 mags is a conversion bcg instead of a dedicated bcg. In that case, the collar is needed. However, I see no reason why you couldnt go with the RTB dedicated BCG and 4.5" barrel combo. Then just buy whatever mags you want. I have both CMMG bcgs and recently a RTB 22lr bcg and I really cant see any difference in quality, JMHO.
View Quote
That is because CMMG makes the barrels and bolts that RTB sells.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to ARFCOM, OP.  Built a left-eject .22 for the kiddo.  Looks like a good build.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes the kit I got was the CMMG conversion with three mags because was on sale.  I did buy the RTB collar, barrel and upper when they went on sale this weekend.  I spent about the same amount of money as the bolt/barrel kit deal which was sold out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick question, do you need a crush washer for the flash hider?  I have a Guntech 5.5 inch flash hider but it did not come with a crush washer.  The manufacturer said "it is recommended but not required".  So do I need one or not? It is going on an RTB 4.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quick question, do you need a crush washer for the flash hider?  I have a Guntech 5.5 inch flash hider but it did not come with a crush washer.  The manufacturer said "it is recommended but not required".  So do I need one or not? It is going on an RTB 4.5 inch barrel.
View Quote
The use of a crush washer is so that you can time the flash hider AKA make sure the openings are set correctly. I used a Kak Micro slim flash can on my 4.5" 22 barrel and did not use a crush washer since the was no need to time it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The use of a crush washer is so that you can time the flash hider AKA make sure the openings are set correctly. I used a Kak Micro slim flash can on my 4.5" 22 barrel and did not use a crush washer since the was no need to time it.
View Quote

Ok that make sense.  I'm guessing hand tight or apply a little grunt with a strap wrench?  There isn't a flat spot for a combination wrench.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Use a strap wrench. You are going to want it more than just hand tight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I got it built just before July 4th and it works great.  It is going to be even more fun when I get a can.  Thanks for all the advice.

.22 Build

The final build list:

RTB 9mm/.22 upper
Aero M4E1 lower
PSA EPT trigger
Aero LPK no FCG/trigger guard
Catch-22 bolt catch
RTB 4.5 inch barrel and collar
CMMG bolt kit w/ 3 mags
Guntech 5.5 flash hider
Matrix Arms Foxtrot 7 inch rail
IWC barrier hand stop
Spikes Tactical charging handle.
KNS Precision stock adapter with flange
SB Tactical FS1913 (plastic strut, I have an aluminum one on backorder)
FAB Defense folding sights
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top