Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2018 8:43:35 PM EDT
Just wondering how you guys secure the receiver when tightening the castle nut? I've just been holding the receiver between my legs which seems to allow me to get everything tight but I'd like to do it the right way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always used a magwell block
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How I do it too. Never had one come loose.
View Quote
Me too. I've become lazy and don't even use my lower block. But I do use some 242 Loctite and stake. Also witness mark mine and over a decade never had an issue even with removal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I thought I was the only one who used improvised methods. I do stake the castle nut also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I clamp the bottom flat part of the stock tube in a smooth jaw vise hold back against the lower part of the lower and grip and tighten the nut.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I clamp the lower directly in the vise (as described in the tech manual) with a set of rubber padded vise jaw caps.

You cannot reach the 38-42 foot pound torque spec by holding the lower receiver between your knees.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I clamp the lower between my legs too i stake the castle nuts too
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Geissele makes a tool for this.

https://geissele.com/tools/reaction-block-ar15-m4-m16-mil-spec-buffer-tube-only.html

ETA-not sure how to make link hot
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You cannot reach the 38-42 foot pound torque spec by holding the lower receiver between your knees.
View Quote
Bullshit.
If you cannot, you need stronger muscles.

I prefer the vice setup though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bullshit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit.

Maybe I could, I've never actually tried it because I prefer to do things by the book.

When I first started clamping lowers in my vise to torque receiver extensions and castle nuts to spec, the jaws wanted to spread open and the lower wanted to twist out of the jaws, which led to me buying a much better vise than the one I had before... Perhaps my previous vise was just junk, it wouldn't hold my Geissele Super Reaction Rod very securely either.

This is the vise that I used before, but it was under the Colombian brand name. > Link.

This is the vise that I use now. > Link.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The title of this thread is confusing?  "Securing the upper when installing an RE"

What does the upper have to do with installing a receiver extension, unless we are talking about something completely different than what I am thinking about.  I don't normally have an upper on my lower when I am installing the receiver extension.

That said, I did install a castle nut the other night without the vise, I just tightened it down real good with my spanner wrench then took a punch/hammer and tapped it firmly a couple of times to get it a bit tighter
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The title of this thread is confusing?  "Securing the upper when installing an RE"

What does the upper have to do with installing a receiver extension, unless we are talking about something completely different than what I am thinking about.  I don't normally have an upper on my lower when I am installing the receiver extension.

That said, I did install a castle nut the other night without the vise, I just tightened it down real good with my spanner wrench then took a punch/hammer and tapped it firmly a couple of times to get it a bit tighter
View Quote
Good catch. I didn't realize I wrote it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then put it on ground, step on receiver to hold it down, and tighten away. Using the floor as a block is a force multiplier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Then put it on ground, step on receiver to hold it down, and tighten away. Using the floor as a block is a force multiplier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just can't see why anyone would do this though when you can just buy the right tools to do it correctly.

After all, we don't live in Afghanistan and we have access to Brownells through the magic of the internet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just can't see why anyone would do this though when you can just buy the right tools to do it correctly.

After all, we don't live in Afghanistan and we have access to Brownells through the magic of the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brownells, indeed.

Their upper clamshell vice block with insert, and lower mag vice block were my choice.  Covers all needs except muzzle work.

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
In the beginning, I would put the lower on a towel, hold the lower with one hand and tighten the castle nut with the other.  I have since changed over to the Geissele RE holding tool and it's so much nicer and easier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I generally use a padded vice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I generally use a padded vice.
View Quote
Yup - works great.  Cheap, too.
Attachment Attached File

But that Geissele Reaction Block looks like a nice way to torque on a receiver extension and work on a lower receiver.  $100 is a bit too steep for me, though
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
mag block has never failed me yet...

put the whole lower in the vise and wrap it with a shirt.  id do that if i had no other option before id put it between my legs...
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#20]
The Geissele (sp?) Reaction Block is probably the best way to tighten a castle nut without putting undue stress on the lower receiver while doing it HOWEVER...

It's expensive

It only works on Mil-Spec buffer tubes and possibly commercial spec tubes. You'll be SOL trying to use it on a lot of pistol buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I use a mag well block now.  Prior to that, I clamped a metal mag in a vise, popped lower on that.  Prior prior to that, I clamped lower in a woodworking bench.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
put the whole lower in the vise and wrap it with a shirt.  id do that if i had no other option before id put it between my legs...
View Quote
If you have a vice, then you have options...

Sometimes guys need their carbine stocks tightened and staked right there in the patrol office, and Motorpool (the nearest vice) is 30 miles away...

and the agency won't equip their armorer with a vice and workbench.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a friend make this out of scrap plastic.

Use it like this.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I started one similar to the above, copied from a post here, that holds the lower around the RE boss.  Square block of UHMW with a keyhole like cutout.

Maybe I'll finish it and post a pic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a magwell block and lower blocks from RGuns.  I prefer the lower blocks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#26]
You know, with the price of the Geissele Reaction Block ($100), you or your buddy could make a bit of pocket money by selling these doodads for $25 or so.  I'd buy one for that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You know, with the price of the Geissele Reaction Block ($100), you or your buddy could make a bit of pocket money by selling these doodads for $25 or so.  I'd buy one for that.
View Quote
I agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I have OCD, so please excuse me.  I made my own.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Slickern snot man!  Good job!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I clamp the lower directly in the vise (as described in the tech manual) with a set rubber padded vise jaw caps.

View Quote
Are you talking about a rifle receiver extension? Or the Castle nut? 38-40 ft lbs is for the rifle receiver extension, (it has a flange for torque), and 40in lbs +/- 2 in lbs for the receiver extension locking nut, (castle nut). You all aren't putting locktight on it too are you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are you talking about a rifle receiver extension? Or the Castle nut? 38-40 ft lbs is for the rifle receiver extension, (it has a flange for torque), and 40in lbs +/- 2 in lbs for the receiver extension locking nut, (castle nut). You all aren't putting locktight on it too are you?
View Quote
I'm talking about the carbine receiver extension and castle nut, the 40in-lbs +/- 2 inch pounds was a typo that still seems to be floating around... It has been corrected in the newer tech manuals to 38-40Ft-Lbs.

The torque spec for the rifle receiver extension is 35-39Ft-Lbs.

As per the manual, I use moly grease on the receiver extension/castle nut threads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Now with ms-paint!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, that's the spot!

I actually like working on Colt lowers because they don't have selector stops and you can clamp a little bit higher up on the receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top