Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2020 8:04:29 AM EDT
I'm building a pistol lower for one of my SBR uppers (9mm w/ AR lower) and am looking at the different ways I might lock the gun in a horizontal position with either a keypad (preferred) or biometric lock.  Gun does not have to be loaded.  The Hornady Rapid Safe appears to be the best of what I've seen, but I wonder what others are using.  I just don't want to make it easy for someone who breaks into the RV to walk out with the firearm.  Less issue with a handgun of course as I always have it on my hip.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about anchoring it to something, in plain view, but ostensibly secured?  Everything in an RV is so flimsy, off the top of my head I can't really think of a good anchor point for something like that.  Hiding it is probably easier - secret/hidden compartment, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the same issue in the motorhome. I just lean it up against the dash on my left side. Boxerdog guards it pretty well idf we run to the store. It is RIGHT where I need it to be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
No dog on my end.  We're not towing a vehicle so the van would never be left for very long.  Actually, thinking about it I might just secure with a locked cable since I could leave it unlocked 99% of the time.  Much cheaper than something fancy.  I won't be storing the long gun in the van.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Cable with the lock build in  is one possible.  Locking box or Pelican case bolted to something and secured with locks. You could always cable lock it to a heavy steel weight or large cast iron skillet to make it very awkward to run off with. Police supply have locking racks.   LINK

Link 2
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the latest ATF ruling has made the whole pistol thing go up in smoke.  I won't be traveling with one of my SBRs and worrying about Form 20.  My HD P2000 has an 18 round mag so that will just have to do (or I can mount my rather unhandy 16" upper on one of my good lowers). Or, I'll do as CMMG currently pictures on their website; leave the brace off.  Recoil of a 9mm RDB is minimal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, the latest ATF ruling has made the whole pistol thing go up in smoke.  I won't be traveling with one of my SBRs and worrying about Form 20.  My HD P2000 has an 18 round mag so that will just have to do (or I can mount my rather unhandy 16" upper on one of my good lowers). Or, I'll do as CMMG currently pictures on their website; leave the brace off.  Recoil of a 9mm RDB is minimal.
View Quote

Isn't that an issue with a specific gun that measures greater than 13.5" from trigger to end of brace? When I researched building a pistol that 13.5" mark was a pretty clear rule. I may or may not have measured an SBA4 at 13.425".

I'm around RVs all day, everything is flimsy and plastic. Half of the screws they do manage to put in don't actually go into anything. The smaller ones (Revels and the like) are a lot more solid, but space is at an absolute premium.

The tweakers out here have started going through vans on our lot. So far, they're only grabbing what's easy to carry off. Any decent locking compartment that's not super obvious would be my choice. A small bench with a metal frame and a lock built in?

Like this. Rebuild the lower cushion with a steel frame and add a lock, plenty of room assuming there isn't too much RV junk tucked away down there.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather pulled a section of paneling off and modified it so that it brackets and magnets holding it in place.  Ne aware that some states have laws about "secret compartments" if you care about such things- he was old, retired and couldn't have cared less.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
https://blacrac.com/
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry my Glock 17 in my motor home, one spot where my wife knows it is also.  I do have a "safety compartment" to keep it in.  I am more worried for protection at night than when driving.

Not sure I would want an AR pistol for RV defense purposes....but that is just me.

Glock 17.3
17 rounds of Sig 124 PD ammo
2 spare 17 round mags with same ammo
Streamlight TLR-1

Bronc
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Glock 17 in a flux brace with light and reload when I travel by RV. Easy to stash in the glove box while driving and throw in a backpack when I leave.

This is in addition to my CCw on the hip.

A small pistol safe could be bolted under the bed, depending how yours is set up
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top