Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2021 6:34:43 AM EDT
Having a hard time leveling as scope on a 6.5 CM Aero build. Took off Tyne scope again and ran down the rail with a scope level. When the back end thru T-4 are level T-6 to the front end are very slightly unlevel. Though the hand guard is level from the front to back. Makes me think I may have an out of spec upper. This upper was assembled with a radiation rod and torqued to 35ft lbs with a snap on torque wrench so I’m pretty sure there no way it could of gotten twisted. The BCG slides through with no binding. Am I being to critical? Should I just forget the levels and use the wedge style scope level tool and call it a day?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
How many degrees approx?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m not sure exactly. When the bubble in the wheeler scope level is centered in the rear section of the upper when you get towards the front section of the upper it’s just touching the line on the side of the level (not leaving the lines tho)
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine does that, too.

I spent an hour yesterday mounting a new scope.  I had the bubble centered when leveled at the front of the receiver.  As I slid the level rearward, the bubble shifted right.

I found the 2 inches where the mount was going to be placed and that 2 inch section seemed pretty even, so I split the difference.  I really don't know what the angular discrepency is when the bubble is centered between the lines and when it's a little closer to one of the lines....

And, I have no idea how an upper can not be flat on top..
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Bubbles can sometimes be off, especially cheap ones. Maybe try this:

- Use a flat, straight object like a metal ruler. Position it underneath the optic, twist/rotate it slightly and along the upper to make sure both sides are perfectly straight against it.
- I like using American Defense QD mounts and others with screws on the sides, instead of the top. The line running down the center where the two sides meet is a good reference point, just about perfectly centered.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I just stack razor blades between the picatinny rail and the underside of my scope (which has a flat bottom). Done, it's level. Tighten it up. As long as the bottom of the scope is flat, that works.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Eyeball the scope in the mount. Shoulder it from both sides. If it looks even or symmetrically canted, snug it down and fo. If your aim is plumb to gravity, you'll be within a minute, likely a quarter, to 600yds in No Wind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, something is warped.

To check a level, just flip it end to end (right side goes to the left).  Then flip it top to bottom (bubble facing down).  It should give the same reading in all three cases.  If the bubbles are biased, the readings will differ.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
At this point I’m considering replacing the upper. I have one coming Monday for another project. I’m going check it against this one and if it’s out of spec I’m gonna contact the company and see if they will take care of me. It’s bothering my ocd ??
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top