Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2018 2:57:00 AM EDT
They were asking $2,499.  Now if it's true that they have already discontinued that rifle, then that's a very good price, and a very solid investment.  
But I'm not in it for the investment.  I want a Retro I can shoot the crap out of.

Still, for that price, I'd rather just buy an SP1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They were asking $2,499.  Now if it's true that they have already discontinued that rifle, then that's a very good price, and a very solid investment.  
But I'm not in it for the investment.  I want a Retro I can shoot the crap out of.

View Quote
$2500

Makes me wonder what my pristine XM16E1 uppper with chrome carrier on a nodak limited fence would/should bring.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
At least an sp1 was actually made by colt and not subcontracted out like those were.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$2500

Makes me wonder what my pristine XM16E1 uppper with chrome carrier on a nodak limited fence would/should bring.
View Quote
Much less.

Everybody wants a pony, even if they are mediocre.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Much less.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2500

Much less.

Weird
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing is stopping you from shooting the crap out of the 2499 gun. Its totally doable.

I can say for a fact that shooting the crap out of a 25,000$ gun is about 100x as fun..
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think classic firearms has the Colt M16a1 for $2499
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the brownells one then.  They're cheaper.  1/2 that.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/xbrn16e1-rifle-5-56mm-20in-black-prod113313.aspx
View Quote
lol, no Colt marking means they aren't even good guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
I think it's awesome that the SKU starts with "GAG".  That's what I would do if I had to pay $2500 for that rifle.

GAG_AS-CRM16A1
Same rifle based on the UPC but with an actual description:  https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/colt-m16a1-reissue-ar-15-semi-auto-rifle-556-nato-20-barrel-20-rounds-a1-fixed-sights-government-a1-pistol-grip-fixed-stock-black-furniture-matte-black-gray-finish-098289024763.do

The Colt M16A1 Reissue is a modern production rifle based on an old popular look.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
No matter the price of things people will always complain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Magnifies when the item is overpriced just because they can... but Colt will be Colt.

The thing I don't get, is why the reissue just comes with a modern sling, and a 20 round mag. They could've put a bunch of "specialty" reissue items.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read a bumper sticker once that said "The more you complain, the longer God lets you live."

So I figure I'm shooting for immortality!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not following.  You're saying only Colt makes good AR's?   Or are you just goofing around?

I own a few Colt's.  I totally disagree with your statement.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not following.  You're saying only Colt makes good AR's?   Or are you just goofing around?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I detected some sarcasm
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I detected some sarcasm
View Quote
OK, I guess that would make sense.  I'm a little slow sometimes.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought one of the Colt reissues just because. The fit and finish on it is definitely a step above Brownells parts.  Wish I was able to score one from the early batch where Colt spelled the word "rifle" incorrectly on the box
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought one of the Colt reissues just because. The fit and finish on it is definitely a step above Brownells parts.  Wish I was able to score one from the early batch where Colt spelled the word "rifle" incorrectly on the box
View Quote
Is there a reason why? Does it increase value in the sense that coins with mint errors are rare?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is there a reason why? Does it increase value in the sense that coins with mint errors are rare?
View Quote
I doubt that it increases the value, but it definately increases the novelty of it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
How does the furniture compare to the original furniture? Or is it just new old stock?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How does the furniture compare to the original furniture? Or is it just new old stock?
View Quote
I bought one when they first became available,I thought they could have been less expensive,but I wanted it either way.I am pleased with the overall fit and finish it and seems very well made and the furniture appears to be new original made out of the same material as my originals
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I bought one when they first became available,I thought they could have been less expensive,but I wanted it either way.I am pleased with the overall fit and finish it and seems very well made and the furniture appears to be new original made out of the same material as my originals
View Quote
Can I ask "What was the main reason you bought one?"
Not trying to be offensive, but it's been stated here multiple times that it's cheaper to build your own either with original hardware or Brownells reproduction parts. The Brownells complete rifles are also cheaper, however, lack the Colt roll marks. Was the main reason because it was Colt branded, a complete rifle, or just cause...?

I'm just curious in the way that I would never buy a complete AR new and would rather build it. Hell my first AR was a complete gun I built from scratch a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Can I ask "What was the main reason you bought one?"
Not trying to be offensive, but it's been stated here multiple times that it's cheaper to build your own either with original hardware or Brownells reproduction parts. The Brownells complete rifles are also cheaper, however, lack the Colt roll marks. Was the main reason because it was Colt branded, a complete rifle, or just cause...?

I'm just curious in the way that I would never buy a complete AR new and would rather build it. Hell my first AR was a complete gun I built from scratch a couple years ago.
View Quote
I already built three retro ARs from parts aquired from Brownells,Fulton and AR15 Sport so I didn’t feel like I cheated myself out of the fun of building my own...I bought for the same reason as all the other firearms I have purchased and that was simply because I wanted to and could afford it...No other reason
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Can we get a pic of this pony?  I won't judge you for buying a Colt.  I don't go either extreme on them.  I like the ones I've had, but I don't necessarily think they are so much better than other guns.  There are things that they do well.  Like for example, for some reason my Colt A2 20" has the smoothest action out of any AR I've ever shot or fondled.  I think it's something about the finish they used in the early 90's, late 80's.

BUT, every Colt barrel I've owned has been more finnicky than other barrels.  The 2 colt's I've owned both showed a very drastic shift in POI from one load to the next.  And that really annoys me.    They can be precise with the right loads, but if someone has sort of a hodge podge of different brands and weights, the ones I had are no fun.  The other uppers I've had show WAY less shift.  Including an SAK barreled A1 20"er.  That did display some shift.  But manageable, and not nearly as drastic.  And was a pretty darn good shooter.

So....  I do think the only reason they cost so much and people buy them is name recognition.  But, having said that, Pat Rogers was definitely a proponent of using / trusting Colt rifles for serious use.  A few others too.  Like BCM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can we get a pic of this pony?  I won't judge you for buying a Colt.  I don't go either extreme on them.  I like the ones I've had, but I don't necessarily think they are so much better than other guns.  There are things that they do well.  Like for example, for some reason my Colt A2 20" has the smoothest action out of any AR I've ever shot or fondled.  I think it's something about the finish they used in the early 90's, late 80's.

BUT, every Colt barrel I've owned has been more finnicky than other barrels.  The 2 colt's I've owned both showed a very drastic shift in POI from one load to the next.  And that really annoys me.    They can be precise with the right loads, but if someone has sort of a hodge podge of different brands and weights, the ones I had are no fun.  The other uppers I've had show WAY less shift.  Including an SAK barreled A1 20"er.  That did display some shift.  But manageable, and not nearly as drastic.  And was a pretty darn good shooter.

So....  I do think the only reason they cost so much and people buy them is name recognition.  But, having said that, Pat Rogers was definitely a proponent of using / trusting Colt rifles for serious use.  A few others too.  Like BCM.
View Quote
[/img]. Bottom Rifle on rack is the CRM16A1
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://s22.postimg.cc/3u0xon5mp/DCA879_A4-_A669-4356-_B668-6_BE288_ECC8_E6.jpg sorry about lousy pic,first time using post image
View Quote
Dude! More shots of the grease gun and helmets!
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Helmets are real,..Greasegun is a replica I bought years ago    " />
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You need a better camera! Those are just teaser pics!
View Quote
I have an iPhone 6 and they are extremely clear in my photos,..But they lost all their resolution in the upload,..Not sure why" />[img]https://
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
It's funny how some get offended at those who would buy the Colt.  Yeah you can build your own and save a grand, but there are those who see value in a Colt.  And my point originally is I think it's a solid investment.  If they really have discontinued those already, all those guys who were "dumb enough" to buy one at $2,500 will laugh all the way to the bank as they go up in value.  TheLi market for Colt stuff isn't "rational", but it exists nontheless.  The Python isn't a rare revolver by any means.  On any day you can find a good 50 for sale, and you can get any configuration you can imagine.  But the prices are just insane.  I mean, yeah it's a superior .357, but it isn't 4x better than any of the other .357's out there.  So its not better enough to justify the price, and they're not "rare" by a long freaking shot.  So the market isn't really rational...yet, that market (as in the prices) have been stable for coming on to 10 years, and I don't see those prices going down.  So while it doesn't make sense, it just IS.

So the new A1 is a very solid investment in my opinion (not that my opinion is worth anything).
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's funny how some get offended at those who would buy the Colt.  Yeah you can build your own and save a grand, but there are those who see value in a Colt.  And my point originally is I think it's a solid investment.  If they really have discontinued those already, all those guys who were "dumb enough" to buy one at $2,500 will laugh all the way to the bank as they go up in value.  TheLi market for Colt stuff isn't "rational", but it exists nontheless.  The Python isn't a rare revolver by any means.  On any day you can find a good 50 for sale, and you can get any configuration you can imagine.  But the prices are just insane.  I mean, yeah it's a superior .357, but it isn't 4x better than any of the other .357's out there.  So its not better enough to justify the price, and they're not "rare" by a long freaking shot.  So the market isn't really rational...yet, that market (as in the prices) have been stable for coming on to 10 years, and I don't see those prices going down.  So while it doesn't make sense, it just IS.

So the new A1 is a very solid investment in my opinion (not that my opinion is worth anything).
View Quote
Playing Devil's Advocate...

On the other hand, if Colt realizes that they have a potential gold mine in their hands and starts mass producing them at a lower price, that $2,500 could bottom out.

I'd definitely love to have a Colt, just to have a Colt, but for me the price was too much. Especially considering that I built an 80% to 90% Colt (only the Lower and LPK aren't Colt), for under $1,000 just 3 years ago.

But anyone that has the money and doesn't mind spending it for one of these, I say go for it. I love my A1, so I'd never look down upon someone for buying one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I would really like to know who's making the reproduction furniture and if it will ever be sold anywhere besides on these reproduction rifles.

Are the heat shields actually riveted in place like the originals?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Interesting, I would really like to know who's making the reproduction furniture and if it will ever be sold anywhere besides on these reproduction rifles.

View Quote
I won't swear to this, but I recall someone posting about the furniture last year. They said that it will eventually hit the secondary market, but for now they couldn't. Dig through the pages of posts and you'll come across it. It would have been something like May, June or July of last year, if I'm remembering right.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On the other hand, if Colt realizes that they have a potential gold mine in their hands and starts mass producing them at a lower price, that $2,500 could bottom out.

I'd definitely love to have a Colt, just to have a Colt, but for me the price was too much. Especially considering that I built an 80% to 90% Colt (only the Lower and LPK aren't Colt), for under $1,000 just 3 years ago.

But anyone that has the money and doesn't mind spending it for one of these, I say go for it. I love my A1, so I'd never look down upon someone for buying one.
View Quote
My guess is..... not gonna happen.  But who knows.   My crystal ball is broken.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My guess is..... not gonna happen.  But who knows.   My crystal ball is broken.
View Quote
I don't think so either, but you never know. They could always come to their senses and see all the money just waiting to be thrown at them. Cut the price per rifle by $1.000 and sell 100X more than they would at $2.500.

They won't, so the retro genre will just keep on doing what we do.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought and built a lot of ARs about 8 years ago - they were going to be worth a fortune by now!  But nope.  I doubt I could get my money back.

A Colt Python?  Yeah, that's most likely going to appreciate nicely.  Nobody's mass-producing copies of it for $500 like they are ARs now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I won't swear to this, but I recall someone posting about the furniture last year. They said that it will eventually hit the secondary market, but for now they couldn't. Dig through the pages of posts and you'll come across it. It would have been something like May, June or July of last year, if I'm remembering right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that post too, I don't think any manufacturer name was given though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have an iPhone 6 and they are extremely clear in my photos,..But they lost all their resolution in the upload,..Not sure whyhttps://s22.postimg.cc/o8jmu9url/17_A5_DA42-_A8_F9-4_E3_E-_A50_C-98_FE10_EC885_D.jpg" target="_blank">https://s22.postimg.cc/o8jmu9url/17_A5_DA42-_A8_F9-4_E3_E-_A50_C-98_FE10_EC885_D.jpg[url]https://
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have an iPhone 6 and they are extremely clear in my photos,..But they lost all their resolution in the upload,..Not sure whyhttps://s22.postimg.cc/o8jmu9url/17_A5_DA42-_A8_F9-4_E3_E-_A50_C-98_FE10_EC885_D.jpg" target="_blank">https://s22.postimg.cc/o8jmu9url/17_A5_DA42-_A8_F9-4_E3_E-_A50_C-98_FE10_EC885_D.jpg[url]https://
Thank you Sir! Fine looking family photo!

Quoted:

This. For some the Colt Pony makes it "real".

It's like in the M1 Carbine collecting world. The new production "Inlands" are good rifles but will never have the same value as a REAL WWII carbine.

And the Winchester Carbines and Garands made in WWII are HIDEOUS! The milling on them is ridiculously rough and it doesn't make since that car parts manufacturers and typewriter factories can make a finer finished firearm than the famous Winchester!

But collectors put a premium on the ragged Winnies.

Me I'll take a Springfield Garand and an Inland Carbine over Winnies every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And I'll take my NDS and Brownell lowers over the over priced Colt SP1 lowers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
" /> Handguard on left from the new Colt
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the picture. Looks like a much better copy than the ones from Brownells that have screwed in heat shields.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got one this year for less than 850 looks practically new... Because I found a nos M16A1 upper and stock set.
Obviously the exception but it's possible.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you Sir! Fine looking family photo!

This. For some the Colt Pony makes it "real".

It's like in the M1 Carbine collecting world. The new production "Inlands" are good rifles but will never have the same value as a REAL WWII carbine.

And the Winchester Carbines and Garands made in WWII are HIDEOUS! The milling on them is ridiculously rough and it doesn't make since that car parts manufacturers and typewriter factories can make a finer finished firearm than the famous Winchester!

But collectors put a premium on the ragged Winnies.

Me I'll take a Springfield Garand and an Inland Carbine over Winnies every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And I'll take my NDS and Brownell lowers over the over priced Colt SP1 lowers.
View Quote
Totes.

You should cycle the action on my Colt A2 sometime just to see.  It is particularly silky.  Not sure it really means anything though.  LOL.

But I'm with you.  I have an Inland Carbine and a Springy Garand.  They're technically my Dad's.  But I hear you about winchesters.  I never owned one.  Just another name recognition game played.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Been gone awhile fighting the BIG C.  BUT bought the M16 and the XM model the past week.SAVED $60 GRAND.
MADDI.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad they sold a few.
MADDI.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh dang.  Stay strong.  Hang in there.  Prayers for healing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for that a person still with some class left. And  I appreciate it Semper-Fi
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Are these Colt re-issues also produced with grey receivers?  I have seen some early ones that were black, but I am seeing some that look grey.  It could be the receivers are just oiled up and reflecting the cameras light.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771035339
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Grey no black.. 100% happy Marine with Mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh boy, there goes $2500.00 bucks on the credit card for me!  It looks like maybe earlier ones were black and they corrected that with more recent production versions.  I will wait for a gunshow in a week or two to purchase one.  Buy one online may yield an early black version....don't want that.

Case in point - grey version from 3 weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8foyoM4Npg&t=4s

Black one from 1 month ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj-BvdB3qHc
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Been trying to keep up with developments, but I probably missed something.

Have the Colt "reissues" actually been discontinued?

Or, is that just some rumor from a dealer trying to sell these things (or some buyer who wants to feel good about his purchase)?

If Colt really had to do extensive tooling up as they claim, I find it hard to believe they'd pull the plug before selling a crapload of those things to recoup the investment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top