Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 4:23:16 PM EDT
Hey guys real curious about this. Thinking ahead as I'm waiting for my YHM Turbo T2 suppressor and heard about how a suppressor can make the AR overgassed. Likewise I've heard that Smith and Wesson ARs are overgassed from factory.

M&P15 Sport II comes with a 16" barrel and I haven't changed anything other than furniture and such. Comes with a Carbine 3.0 oz buffer. I've had the AR for years and had never heard of the clock diagram for ejection direction to determine if over/under gassed or good to go.

Over the years my AR has always ejected casings at about 1 to 2 oclock. Never had an issue before.

Replaced 2 steel weights in my buffer with Tungsten to make it an H2 buffer at about 4.7 oz. Took 4 shots a bit ago. Casings still ejecting at 2 oclock... didn't seem to do a damn thing about the angle of ejection. I couldnt tell any difference in recoil either.

Is this normal? Is it a big deal? I had no issue with the rifle even with the 3.0 oz Carbine buffer, but I'm a bit worried for when I get the suppressor as I believe I'll keep that permanently installed. I also bought a PRI M84 gas buster charging handle so hopefully wont have an issue with gas to the face at least...

What do you guys think? I'm not interested in an adjustable gas block or any major surgery here. Is running technically "overgassed" OK? Is it normal to go from a C to an H2 buffer and have no change in ejection angle? Thanks all

Edit: want to add I was shooting just 223 55grain
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You're overthinking.

You'll probably have gas to face with a supressor.  Wear eye pro.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Buffer  weight has little to nothing to do with ejection angle.

Your gun is running better with the H2 though. H2 is proper buffer for 99% of everything.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a favor and buy a PRI Gas Buster charging handle.

Shoot it with and without the PRI, then come back here and thank me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for the replies. I tend to over think things ha.

Yup I'm noticing that the buffer doesn't seem to do much for ejection angle. But glad to know it's a better rifle with it though.

I did actually buy the PRI gas busting handle. Can't wait to compare. Feels great in the hand too.

Going to roll with it thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've personally seen ejection pattern shift depending on buffer weight. I would replace the gas block with an adjustable and free float the handguard or get an adjustable gas bolt carrier group if I were you. I agree the H2 is a good choice for your setup.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Sprinco Blue buffer spring.

https://www.sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If it runs reliably then don't mess with it further, the H2 Buffer and Gasbuster are perfect upgrades.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the EZ Tune gas tubes from Black River Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Sprinco Blue buffer spring.

https://www.sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html
View Quote
I'm not a fan of heavier buffer springs.

Fix the problem closest to the source (the gas port).
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to keep your same configuration, but limit gas at the same time without spending a bunch of cash... BRT gas tube. There will be variables, but I bet with the 50/50 suppressed/unsuppressed you could probably run a std buffer unsupressed and an H2 suppressed and probably be pretty dead on in both variations. Swapping a buffer takes seconds. It takes at about as long to put on the suppressor.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top