Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2018 3:41:04 PM EDT
I have a question what is the benefits other than Ambidextrous why do people upgrade from the std mil spec selector? I’m trying to decide if it worth doing to my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you order from the right company you can get them with 60% throw instead of 90... Ambidextrous, .. and with selectable sizes on either side.
I don't know who's the 'go to' company today, but I'm happy with my Battle Arms Development selector.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a V7 Hybrid 57deg for two reasons - 1) weight, and 2) because I want the whole gun to be ambi.

I've never had a problem with my standard mil-spec and quite like the feel of it, but that build is a bit of a no-holes-barred build since I'll be stamping it and want to be sure I'm stamping something I'll be able to keep and use forever, for anything.

For 99% of people though? No, there's no need for an ambi selector. It's a purely personal preference thing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you I was looking at the Radian Talon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine are factory Colt, long on one side short on the other w a bolt.  Dont need em, dont like em... Rubs me wrong way, literally. Would be better at something other than 90*... IMO.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Are the 45-degree short throw safety selector worth the money? Just wandering how much of an improvement over the standard ones.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I've been throwing on $10 Joe Bob's ambi safetys lately. They really are great for your money. Scalloped side and 60 degree ability makes it great for me when trying to shoot with weak hand instead, with transitions easier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the 45-degree short throw safety selector worth the money? Just wandering how much of an improvement over the standard ones.
View Quote
I love them and have switched all my rifles over.  Returning your rifle to safe is much easier without shifting your grip. I like those produced by KE Arms.  High quality and less than half the price of battle arms development
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to try some.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The short throw selectors are the way to go. As mentioned, returning to safe is much easier. What I would recommend is using a thin, short lever on the ejection port side (if you’re right handed). This will keep the selector from interfering with your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The Radian Talon is the best safety on the market.  No screws to break, dead simple install, can be reversed from 45 to 90.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Radian talon. Clicks perfect, well designed, no screw to loosen up. I had the noveske short throw before and one from another mfg that was a knockoff of the bad one. Both were not great, the screw loosened all the time and the throw felt bad.
Radian talon is great, I'll be going with it from now on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the wide BAD lever, mostly got it for reduced through which is noticeable when shooting, don’t use the ambi aspect much, but I can’t see how it hurts and I guess in some situations it could help,  but it comes with the BAD kit so why not.

*Also a fan of blue loctite
Loctite all the things ;)
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a shortened right side ambi on my ARs, but found that in competition and chasing after hogs that I use my thumb on the left side even though it is an ambi, so I have removed them all and went back to the standard 90 degree single side.

I have found myself doing this a lot lately... dropping things that I thought that I absolutely must have, like lighter Glock connectors, and AR safeties, and going back to bone stock. It really is true that training and experience will trump gear and gadgets every time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I put a Talon on a rifle recently, and love how it engages, disengages and feels, except for one thing-there's a tiny bit of slop in the dovetail on each side, allowing the lever to wiggle just a tiny bit. If you grab both levers at once, you can wiggle them in opposite directions just a touch.

I was keen on the 'no screws' idea, but my recent Timber Creek ambi is far more solid, and works just as well. Doubt I'll get any more Talons.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
An ambi safety is one of the first upgrades I do, as before I had rifles with them, I did not think about it.

But after using rifles with ambi safeties, you get used to them and muscle memory takes over, you start fumbling for it when it is not there.

I have two rifles that are still single safeties and have some Radian ambi's on the way from Brownells

In terms of quality, snap and feel, the KAC are the best followed by LMT and Radian tied.

So yes, it is a very good investment

Link Posted: 2/17/2019 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Strike Ind. 60/90* ambi safeties on all of my ARs. Very happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Have a Radian 4 lever kit on the way (first time using, wanted all the levers since I don't know what will feel best). With Mil/LE paperwork, they give a 20% discount. Got it for easier re-application strong-side, and for thumb application weak side.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a Radian 4 lever kit on the way (first time using, wanted all the levers since I don't know what will feel best). With Mil/LE paperwork, they give a 20% discount. Got it for easier re-application strong-side, and for thumb application weak side.
View Quote
Hopefully you like it. I just got mine last week. Went with the 4 lever kit as well. OpticsPlanet with a coupon and free shipping actually came in a bit under what Radian+mil would have.

I used it to replace a Seekins ambi 60 degree. It always felt a little stiff and the levers were a little sharp and in the way of my thumb. I used the Rasian medium tapered on the left and short on the right. It does seem generally more comfortable to hold and smoother to use.

I have found with these short throw safeties I don't get quite the leverage I was used to on a standard A4 and I've started curling my trigger finger back to re-safe rather than the thumb.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#19]
The Radian Talon is on sale for $40 at Primary Arms right now.

Flash sale
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I can tell you why I put them on my rifles.
I shoot long guns left handed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have V7, Seekins Precision,  and BAD all short throw.

V7 is by far my favorite of the three with the smoothest feel and positive feeling click. So much so I moved them around in rifles just to make sure that something with the lower was not causing an issue. V7 was my pick every time.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top