Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2021 9:16:42 AM EDT
Building my first AR from a stripped lower. I ordered an Aero Precision LPK without the FCG, and went with the Schmid Tool Nickel Teflon trigger kit.

Since the safety is held in by the end plate (via the detent pin & spring), I was looking at different options for the safety selector. Now would be the time to change it before I assemble the buffer tube / castle nut.

I assume these are mostly user preference, ambi vs single sided (kinda like a 1911 deal).

I also saw some advertise a 90 degree vs 60 degree swings for safe vs fire. Again, I assume that's also a user preference.

The biggest thing I'm worried about would be a big enough lever to use easily with gloves. Are the standard ones easy enough to use?

I was looking at the Battle Arms Development one, as the lever looks a little beefier, but again, not sure if im trying to fix an issue thats not there.

This whole process has really been a rabit hole i wasnt expecting lol.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, the safety pin and spring are held in by the grip. The rear takedown pin is held in by the buffer endplate.

I prefer ambi safeties as they give you the option of using either hand. I shoot lefty and the wife righty, so that's important. 45 or 60 degree safeties are nicer that way as the tail of the safety is higher and won't contact your trigger finger as it sits along the side.

Pretty much any safety is operable with gloves on (assuming you don't mean thick skiing gloves). For gloves, the width of the contact patch is key, so the one you linked to would be good.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
User preference like you said.

And detent/spring secured by PG like he said above.

My personal favorite for use with gloves is the RRA star safety selector.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
My mistake guys, was thinking about the rear-pin / set screw mod and must have gotten them mixed up.

That's great news though, I can try out the stock Aero one and see how I like it, swapping out later if needed.

I know thats typically the advice here, shoot what you got and see how you like it.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
DPMS made this a few years ago.

My son has one on one of his ARs.

I have neuropathy in my right hand and arm and it really works great.

You may be able find one on the internet or at Gun Broker.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was looking at the Battle Arms Development one, as the lever looks a little beefier, but again, not sure if im trying to fix an issue thats not there.
View Quote

I personally really like BAD safeties.  The Mil-Spec safety lever is more rounded versus the wider, flat surface of the BAD lever, although, I have not had any issues actuating a Mil-Spec safety versus the BAD safety.  Ambi is not a big deal to me either since in practice I rarely use the right side lever (muscle memory habits).  So you're right that it is all user preference.  The downside of the BAD safety is the $$$ difference, but I bought it and would do it again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have basic mil-spec'ish safeties on all my AR's and have had zero problems with them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, the safety pin and spring are held in by the grip. The rear takedown pin is held in by the buffer endplate.

I prefer ambi safeties as they give you the option of using either hand. I shoot lefty and the wife righty, so that's important. 45 or 60 degree safeties are nicer that way as the tail of the safety is higher and won't contact your trigger finger as it sits along the side.

Pretty much any safety is operable with gloves on (assuming you don't mean thick skiing gloves). For gloves, the width of the contact patch is key, so the one you linked to would be good.
View Quote

I have KAC, LMT, DD and Radian ambi safeties and with the exception of the DD, all are great.  The DD are polymer levers, I am sure they will work, but I am not crazy about them.

All DD's have been changed out with Radians, except for one....I have the Radian, but have not changed it yet.  

All of my Larue rifles have been upgraded with Radian....you get a feel of the theme here?  

I do like the 45 degree capability of the Radian ambi safety

Bronc
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have KAC, LMT, DD and Radian ambi safeties and with the exception of the DD, all are great.  The DD are polymer levers, I am sure they will work, but I am not crazy about them.

All DD's have been changed out with Radians, except for one....I have the Radian, but have not changed it yet.  

All of my Larue rifles have been upgraded with Radian....you get a feel of the theme here?  

I do like the 45 degree capability of the Radian ambi safety

Bronc
View Quote

Those radian ones are pretty slick looking.

I was on their site earlier looking at their Raptor Charging Handles. Looks like they are doing a discount if you buy both the charging handle and a safety selector. May need to jump on that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I just installed a Battle arms ambi safety.
I really like it!
I’d highly recommend it! Feels great, very positive clicks
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I was content with a selector on the left side only until I tried an ambi on a .308 build. Folks raved about the Radian Talon and reviews were good, so I ordered one. Once I got used to thumb down to fire and sweeping the selector to safe with my index finger, the speed and economy of motion made sense. I have since upgraded a few other guns with Talon selectors. FWIW I also like the short lever on the right side so it doesn’t interfere with my right handed grip.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
JBO Ambi. Awesome deal.

Joe Bob Ambi
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is NOTHING better than a Forward Controls Design safety!
View Quote
This. Nothing else to discuss; it's the most positive, well-designed, modular safety on the market.

I just put a Badger C1 safety on a new build and it's GTG, but doesn't match FCD.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Love the JoeBobs safety.  60 or 90 degree, reversable, off side has scallop so it isn't in the way.

Comes in their "Enhanced LPK w/o Grip" that also includes a VERY nice trigger (better than PSA EPT)
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone using the Elftmann push button safety ?
My son's AUG has a push button, and I kind of like it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top