Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2023 10:00:38 PM EDT
Hello all,

First post. I have built a lower. It seems functional, but I am having an issue with the safety selector.

When the hammer is cocked, the safety operates as it should (snappy). When the hammer is disengaged, the safety goes on safe, but can be moved like 15-20 degrees in the direction of fire (but still won’t release the trigger - which is better than the alternative). I am wondering if the safety is not close enough to the disconnecter allowing it to rotate partially. Please help. This is my first build and I can’t find anyone with a similar problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
80% build?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
This is an 80% lower build for my in-laws. It’s 5D tacticals lower with the complete mil-spec lower parts kit that comes from their website. The detent and spring are installed correctly. The safety snaps into fire/safe nicely when the hammer is cocked. When the hammer is not cocked, the safety is supposed to stay on safe. It can snap out of safe by 15-20 degrees.

I also used their jig to mill their lower with the guides for the safety’s, trigger and hammer pins

https://www.5dtactical.com/products/mil-spec-ar-15-lower-parts-kit/

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My theory on what the problem is:

You really need to use a drill press to drill the safety and FCG holes.  Those bushings in that jig are not hardened and those bits can walk if they are perpendicular to the receiver.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is an 80% lower build for my in-laws. It’s 5D tacticals lower with the complete mil-spec lower parts kit that comes from their website. The detent and spring are installed correctly. The safety snaps into fire/safe nicely when the hammer is cocked. When the hammer is not cocked, the safety is supposed to stay on safe. It can snap out of safe by 15-20 degrees.

I also used their jig to mill their lower with the guides for the safety’s, trigger and hammer pins

https://www.5dtactical.com/products/mil-spec-ar-15-lower-parts-kit/

View Quote

Somethings wrong, if the hammer is not cocked, the safety should not be able to be moved to the safe position.  My guess, either the safety hole or trigger/hammer pin holes are off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think there is a problem.
The selector wiggles a bit.
15-20 degrees is nowhere near 90 to go on safe.

It just sounds like tolerance stacking allowing some play.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
This video has some information. From about 1:50 to 2:50 is informative in reference to the safety.
https://youtu.be/ZUnTIo8KWYA
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You’re correct. I misspoke as I woke up at 4am and decided to check on this
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This video has some information. From about 1:50 to 2:50 is informative in reference to the safety.
https://youtu.be/ZUnTIo8KWYA
View Quote

Okay. My safety moves approximately out of fire like this guys, though his had even more play than mine. So I should assume I have a safe lower when it comes to the safety selector then?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think there is a problem.
The selector wiggles a bit.
15-20 degrees is nowhere near 90 to go on safe.

It just sounds like tolerance stacking allowing some play.
View Quote

It may be just a tolerance thing. I guess I just expected a tighter tolerance and was wondering if there was a way to shim it to make it a little tighter.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#12]
There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing one or more ways to function check a trigger group. Some are better than others.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing one or more ways to function check a trigger group. Some are better than others.
View Quote

Thank you. I’ll check them out. This is my first build, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Being an 80% it's highly likely that things are a touch off, but if it passes a function check, then it should be perfectly fine to use. Doesn't fire when hammer is back and on safe? Doesn't go on safe when hammer is forward? Run that shit.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top