Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2020 6:18:26 PM EDT
Hi all. I came across these kits advertised as basically complete Sabre Defence M16A4s minus of course the lower and LPK, and since I had a PSA M16A2 lower around I figured I'd snap one up to complete it. Since I'd been looking for a milsurp A2 kit, which are not inexpensive even when available, I jumped at the opportunity to snag an unused A4. Now that I've done so, I'm wondering if this was actually a good idea and I'm hoping to get some reassurance on my impulse purchase

Are Sabre barrels really as accurate/better than FN or Colt as I seem to recall being told? I think Sabre was the first subcontractor for the AUG A3 as well, and those barrels seem to have a positive reputation.

Am I correct in assuming that these were probably built for an Army contract? I'm basing this assumption on the Matech (rather than KAC) rear sight. I was admittedly just a pogue reservist but I think I only saw M16A4s in Army service once, ever, in the hands of some PA guard unit.

Would it be "clone correct" to have an A4 upper on an A2-marked lower? I saw any number of A1 lowers electro pencilled or overstamped "A2" and "Burst," but again never saw many A4s.

Is there a particular LPK I should consider using? I have a spare Colt FCG around somewhere but I'd like the whole thing to be comparatively authentic minus the lower of coursee.

Did anyone actually carry or even see Sabre rifles in service?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, and I'll post pics when I actually receive it and finish the build.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK sabre was a big barrels mfg for the .mil... they used to make all kind of barrels.. 50bmg, gpmg, Vulcan etc

Sabre won a contract for some A4 but I don’t think they ever delivered them.. atf raided them in 2010/2011.. a quick google research will bring you info and pics.

As for installing an A4 on a A2 lower I’m sure lots of A2 have been upgraded into A4.. just like the old A1 have been converted into A2 before.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFAIK sabre was a big barrels mfg for the .mil... they used to make all kind of barrels.. 50bmg, gpmg, Vulcan etc

Sabre won a contract for some A4 but I don’t think they ever delivered them.. atf raided them in 2010/2011.. a quick google research will bring you info and pics.

As for installing an A4 on a A2 lower I’m sure lots of A2 have been upgraded into A4.. just like the old A1 have been converted into A2 before.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Now I’m not sure about the A4 contract.. I think it was for the A3... on my HD I’ve found a pic of a Sabre A3 (auto fcg) with flat top upper from shot show 2010
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
"NASHVILLE, TN (July 15, 2008)- Sabre Defence Industries, LLC (SDI), a government contractor for
the manufacture of machine gun parts and accessories and commercial XR15 rifles, is proud to
announce that Sabre Defence has been awarded an IDIQ contract for a minimum of 4,952
M16A3 and 702 M16A4 rifles to support the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and foreign military
customers.
Nine bids were received with Sabre being only the third company in the 45-year M16
history, besides Colt and FN, to be awarded a contract to supply a Mil-Spec M16 to the U.S.
government.

The M16 project will take place at Sabre Defence’s Nashville, Tennessee facility and is expected
to be completed by end of December, 2010. Sabre’s growing reputation as a top quality
manufacturer of XR model rifles in the commercial market will not be affected by the military
contract. Production continues to meet demand of the highly accurate XR15A3 series rifles and
new models are scheduled to be released in the coming months.

For more information on any of Sabre Defence’s rifles, handguns, or barrel assemblies, log on to
www.sabredefence.com or call 615-333-0077.

About Sabre Defence Industries:
Founded in the USA in 2002, Sabre Defense Industries, LLC manufactures Browning M2 .50-
caliber machine guns, barrels, and precision engineered XR15 rifles and assemblies for the
commercial, law enforcement and the military markets. Sabre Defence is an ISO 9001-2000
certified company with factories in the United Kingdom and the United States."

Rifles were definitely delivered.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the pic I had on my HD

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
There’s a photo of what I believe is a military issued Sabre Defence A4 posted here in the M16A4 thread.

I don’t recall any discussion of A4 uppers on A2 lowers in that very extensive thread, but I could have missed it somewhere in there. I seem to vaguely recall some mention of surplus A4 uppers for sale that were originally intended for that sort of conversion but never used. Since a lot of A2s were still in service when the A4s were being delivered, I think it’s more likely that all the A4s came in as complete new rifles. There were definitely A2s and A4s converted into M4A1s though, with their original designation milled off the lower and relabeled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the kit yesterday and I must say I'm pretty pleased overall. I'll try to post more pics later but the seller included a picture of the original receiver, and apparently this thing started life as an A3.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Would be neat if they included magwell stubs - those could at least be rewelded to an 80% to preserve the original markings and have a functional gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
why would the govt get rid & cut a perfectly fine lower?!
funny since there're some H&R receiver still in service...
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, finally finished on a PSA "M16 A2" lower. Used a Brownells LPK and a Colt FCG. I actually mounted the upper to a different lower to zero it last weekend since my LPK didn't arrive in time (two day shipping my ass); I was in a hurry so the only paper group I measured was just over 3 MOA with Wolf Gold. Not ideal but I think the irons and my eyesight were the limiting factors there, and I was able to confirm zero at 200 and 300 on steel which was nice.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why would the govt get rid & cut a perfectly fine lower?!
funny since there're some H&R receiver still in service...
View Quote

From talking to the guy selling them, it seems like these rifles were in Sabre's possession when they were raided, and were therefore never technically speaking in Government service. The way he spoke about it, he had a very limited timeline to take possession of and de-mil a bunch of rifles with the ATF hovering over his shoulder, so I'm guessing he was just too rushed to do anything like that though it would have been very cool. I at least got the rear stub of the lower, and was able to re-use the takedown pin, spring, and detent plus all the extension/stock stuff.

Never saw an H&R but in my basic platoon less than ten years ago there were a couple guys with GM Hydra-Matic lowers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I was told these were part of a USMC contract and that the seller was saving some of the uppers to sell as complete rifles in the future.  He was planning on having some lowers made up to mimic the stub markings and then sell as complete rifles.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top