Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 10:00:31 AM EDT
Changed the title to make this more generic. Been looking at the Savage MSR-10; at 7.8lbs it's certainly a competitor!

Title pretty much says it all. The SCAR 17S has hit ridiculously high prices. I'd still consider it to be the best, but just too much $$.

What rifles would you consider a good substitute for the 17s? I'm thinking a patrol/general purpose rifle with a TA-11 ACOG and possibly a micro dot, not a DMR gun like a M110 or Larue OBR.

Features are:
Weight: Under 8lbs is best
Barrel: 16" is best, but 18" could work.
Adjustable gas: needs to work with a can either way
Reliability: takes any ammo and most mags in its type

So far I've looked at:

S&W M&P-10: Light, accurate, ambi, takes common mags, but longer and spotty reliability and CS.
Ruger SR762: Reliable (newer versions), piston operated, adjustable gas, but heavy at 8.6lbs naked
MSR-10: Reliable, lighter at 7.8lbs, adjustable gas, takes common mags, but accuracy is variable with different examples.
Galil Ace 308: VERY reliable, eats any ammo, takes all SR-25 mags, but questionable accuracy on an AK receiver, very low parts commonality, many upgrades needed, pricey.

What other options would you consider?

• • • • • • • 

Original post:

I'm looking at the SR762 as a "battle rifle" substitute for the 17S. I like that it's piston driven. I like that it has a 16" barrel. I like the reliability metrics I see. I really like the range of gas options (more than the SCAR's two). In my mind it's closest competitor is the S&W M&P10, but I don't like the 18" length and the non free-float barrel w/ limited aftermarket options. Sure, the Ruger has even more limited options, but I don't see changing the base rifle. In other words...the Ruger is what I'd upgrade the Smith to be.

Any thoughts on this? I'd likely top it with a TA-11 ACOG, install a Geissele trigger, and probably a Dead Air brake (in that order). The biggest downside I've seen is weight, but frankly it's not the heaviest out there (SIG762, LMT MWS, KAC, M1A, etc). Seems weight is just what you get with a piston .308....gotta beef up the rifle or cut down on features and barrel weight (S&W).

Fire away.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Title pretty much says it all. The SCAR 17S has hit ridiculously high prices. I'd still consider it to be the best IMO with it's combination of reliability and light weight along with piston operation and an adjustable gas system, however it's now in "why would I pay that for a gun" territory.

But that's just me and beside the point.

I'm looking at the SR762 as a "battle rifle" substitute for the 17S. I like that it's piston driven. I like that it has a 16" barrel. I like the reliability metrics I see. I really like the range of gas options (more than the SCAR's two). In my mind it's closest competitor is the S&W M&P10, but I don't like the 18" length and the non free-float barrel w/ limited aftermarket options. Sure, the Ruger has even more limited options, but I don't see changing the base rifle. In other words...the Ruger is what I'd upgrade the Smith to be.

Any thoughts on this? I'd likely top it with a TA-11 ACOG, install a Geissele trigger, and probably a Dead Air brake (in that order). The biggest downside I've seen is weight, but frankly it's not the heaviest out there (SIG762, LMT MWS, KAC, M1A, etc). Seems weight is just what you get with a piston .308....gotta beef up the rifle or cut down on features and barrel weight (S&W).

Fire away.
View Quote
@minion42

I have had two of them. ( traded one for a cheap 4x4 truck ), I still have one and have had it for about 5 years. I love it. 100% reliable, and accurate as fuck. (I even managed to get two complete spare BCG's from ruger for it. IIRC they were around $180.00 each ) bcg's require the rifle being sent back to them to have them fitted, which is annoying. but they will sell you other parts, firing pins, extractors etc through the mail no issue. I don't really know how well it compares to a scar rifle, but I will say I had a LWRC REPR, which cost right at $3000.00, and I like the ruger better in everyway. its damn sure more accurate. both of my sr762 rifles were about the same accuracy wise. I tried to pick the most accurate one to keep when I was going to trade, so I shot them both side by side and the accuracy was equal for both of them.  I will eventually buy another sr762, but I have no plans to buy a scar.

100 yard group. 168g SMK.

Attachment Attached File

REPR I used to have. not worth the money IMHO, id rather have two sr762's than one repr.
Attachment Attached File

my sr762
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I just can't wrap my brain around the cost of a SCAR. A buddy of mine was the winning designer of the Ruger 50th anniversary 10/22,and his prize was $5k of firearms, so he got 2 SR762s and sold one to me to cover his tax liability.

I love mine. I would happily take 2 SR762s over 1 SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Impressive accuracy there. That's encouraging.

It seems a very capable rifle for sure. I guess I'm wondering more if folks with experience think it's too heavy/etc for a "battle rifle" role. I'm not looking for an OBR/REPR/SR-25 type gun that is designed to have a huge scope and shoot 800yds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
whats your budget?

I have both and honestly like the AR platform better,  without a grand in accessories, in pretty meh.  Even with a better trigger handguard and stock, its as heavy as my mws and less accurate.

Is the SR762 as durable as the Scar. NO. but it doesnt have to be.  Piston reliability over DI is a Myth outside of few narrow circumstances, its the reason the 416 has never been able to distance itself from good DI designs
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
whats your budget?

I have both and honestly like the AR platform better,  without a grand in accessories, in pretty meh.  Even with a better trigger handguard and stock, its as heavy as my mws and less accurate.

Is the SR762 as durable as the Scar. NO. but it doesnt have to be.  Piston reliability over DI is a Myth outside of few narrow circumstances, its the reason the 416 has never been able to distance itself from good DI designs
View Quote
Budget's in the $1700 range.

All data I can find for the LMT shows it's just shy of 10lbs – a good bit heavier than the SR762. What am I missing?

I'm with ya...the AR platform is my go-to and can't be beat for weight, but if you want a .308....you want a .308.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on how the rifle is set up.  The latest mws can be configured from the factory to be as light as the scar.

These two rifles are about the same weight

I can set up the mws to excell from cqb to long range. That's not an option, with the scar.  The scar technically has the ability but fn doesn't support it. Not only have they refused to address the shit trigger, they refuse to improve the cheep stock.

Barrel assemblies over 1000 dollars so to have a 308 that can do well long range your looking at 4000 for the gun, trigger rail. At least another 1000 for the spare barrel that they don't sell.that's 5k without an optic.

An mws can be found for 2200, doing a little bit of selling heavy original parts, replace with new stuff you might have 3500 into the rifle with a lightweight 308 barrel, an mloc chasis and a long range barrel. Leaves alot of money left over for optics and silencers.

I love the lmt, but honestly have read good stuff about the sr762.  If i had a limited budget and did not enjoy long range, I would definitely check it out.

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It really depends on how the rifle is set up.  The latest mws can be configured from the factory to be as light as the scar.

https://ibb.co/bxosA6
View Quote
Ah gotcha...you're comparing it to a modified/upgraded SCAR while I'm comparing it to a stock SCAR. There's no way the MWS can be as light as the OEM 17S, empty.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah gotcha...you're comparing it to a modified/upgraded SCAR while I'm comparing it to a stock SCAR. There's no way the MWS can be as light as the OEM 17S, empty.
View Quote
Correct, both fully configured,  the Scar in factory configuration is unuasable.

Shit stock, horrendous trigger, sharp rails.

Fully done up its ok, I like that it folds
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can set up the mws to excell from cqb to long range. That's not an option, with the scar.  The scar technically has the ability but fn doesn't support it. Not only have they refused to address the shit trigger, they refuse to improve the cheep stock.

Barrel assemblies over 1000 dollars so to have a 308 that can do well long range your looking at 4000 for the gun, trigger rail. At least another 1000 for the spare barrel that they don't sell.that's 5k without an optic.

An mws can be found for 2200, doing a little bit of selling heavy original parts, replace with new stuff you might have 3500 into the rifle with a lightweight 308 barrel, an mloc chasis and a long range barrel. Leaves alot of money left over for optics and silencers.

I love the lmt, but honestly have read good stuff about the sr762.  If i had a limited budget and did not enjoy long range, I would definitely check it out.

https://image.ibb.co/nnB13R/20171118_172943.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/dkpM3R/20171118_173044.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/kgzpHb/20171113_195935.jpg
View Quote
Ah I see you edited the above post with more info...thanks.

Yeah, I have a Savage bolt gun that is stellar for distance and accuracy. I'm looking more for a .308 "battle rifle"...an AR that throws a bigger bullet and functions well suppressed within 500yds. So long barrels and distance aren't criteria for me. Same with my evaluation of the SCAR; if I had one, it wouldn't be to ring steel at 1000yds so the 16" barrel is just fine.

And on the MWS...I'm sure it's a solid rifle. I know it's known for accuracy too. It's just that I've fired a stock SCAR and actually find it very comfortable and it clearly works, so if I'm spending over $3k on a rifle I'll just swallow hard and grab a 17s. I can't, so hence the cheaper platforms.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't dislike my scar, it's ok, but for how much it is, I think there are better options.

One can absolutely find a quality 308 AR for 1500 these days. While I am not a giant fan of larue, one of there 16 inch 308 ultimate upper kits/receivers for 1500 is an incredible deal. There are many otherstudents out there as well.

Pair it with a low power variable or red dot and that thing would be alot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pair it with a low power variable or red dot and that thing would be alot of fun.
View Quote
That's what I'm thinking...I'd love to get other owners' opinions though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I wanted a SCAR-H for a while but I couldn't get past its reputation being difficult on optics and electro-optics. Sure an Elcan might be fine but I didn't want to take the risk with an expensive laser/illuminator as well. We ended up getting a Larue Predatar 16" 762 instead as a battle rifle and I'm very happy we did because it's a great gun. With the lightweight barrel it is quite handy and still shoots 5-shot groups around 1/2 MOA. We've gotten hits at 1188 yards (3k ft DA) on a full-sized torso with it and with Slash's heavy buffer it shoots pretty softly for a 308. I could not recommend it more.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool! I’ll look at it.

I talked to a guy who said he had bad carrier tilt issues with his SR556 with the same anti-tilt features of the SR762. Anyone else have this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I know this is an AR forum, but have you looked at the Galil ACE? It's in your budget.

I was forced to sell my SCAR-H to pay for legal bills, and after winning the case, I couldn't afford anther before I moved out of the US for a few years. So I bought the Galil instead.

To me, while the SCAR wins hands down, the ACE was an easy 2nd. It's a Military tested/used rifle built by the original factory and has modern ergonomics/improvements.  Not anything else comes close. The only other choice for a "shooter" were either AR-10 types or a clone of an HK or FAL.

HK / FALs are nice for their day, but 1960s ergos and optics mounting. Clones can be hit or miss, and the originals are not shooter prices anymore.

AR10 types, it can be hit or miss. The only one I had experience with was the Colt 901, and it was heavy. And hasn't been "run" in awhile, so they were/are not cheap anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-7-62-260-6-5cm-upper-kit/

Build your own with LaRue kit (and add the LT lower on the order) for about $1500.

I made a tAR profile 16” 308. Added an SLR adjustable gas block for my Surefire suppressor. It’s accurate and lightweight. It also uses pmags which is nice on the wallet. I wish the scar used pmags.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know this is an AR forum, but have you looked at the Galil ACE? It's in your budget.

https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/IWI-GAR1651.jpg

I was forced to sell my SCAR-H to pay for legal bills, and after winning the case, I couldn't afford anther before I moved out of the US for a few years. So I bought the Galil instead.

To me, while the SCAR wins hands down, the ACE was an easy 2nd. It's a Military tested/used rifle built by the original factory and has modern ergonomics/improvements.  Not anything else comes close. The only other choice for a "shooter" were either AR-10 types or a clone of an HK or FAL.

HK / FALs are nice for their day, but 1960s ergos and optics mounting. Clones can be hit or miss, and the originals are not shooter prices anymore.

AR10 types, it can be hit or miss. The only one I had experience with was the Colt 901, and it was heavy. And hasn't been "run" in awhile, so they were/are not cheap anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have actually, and really like it! The only pause for me is the AK-style receiver which doesn't sound like accuracy to me. I also don't care for the handguard and something like an RS Regulate or MI is $150-$200. But it's a bulletproof platform and very attractive for sure.

One thing I really like about the Galil is the balance; it's similar to the SCAR. The short handguard keeps the balance rearward and I like the folding stock too. I do wish it was easily suppressible though...

Quoted:

Build your own with LaRue kit (and add the LT lower on the order) for about $1500.

I made a tAR profile 16” 308. Added an SLR adjustable gas block for my Surefire suppressor. It’s accurate and lightweight. It also uses pmags which is nice on the wallet. I wish the scar used pmags.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/A617CBA6-BA72-457E-9D53-F03E33BEBA28-575314.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/665AC6C2-91CB-4CAC-91CF-742339EBD31C-575316.JPG
A Larue for $1500?? I gotta look into that.

When you say "light" how light are you talking? I always have to tell myself that a .308 will be heavier than a 5.56 so don't get too optimistic. My AR, loaded with light and optic, weights as much as the SR762 does naked out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an ACE in 7.62x51 and it would be the first gun I’d get rid of if I could.  The ACE isn’t actually used by the Israelis; they are mainly for export, and I don’t think there are only a handful of users that use this caliber version.  I’m not sure how it’s been “military tested”.  The original Galil, sure, but these aren’t those.  It’s OK, but in reality it’s a big AK with only a few minor improvements.  Regardless of what IWI’s propaganda says, it’s not that light (they must be comparing only to the original Galil, which was heavy for an AK).  Also, their trick to get the top rail to be a somewhat repeatable zero make the fit of the rear of the top cover against the lip on the rear of the receiver super tight, meaning I have to beat on the top cover to get it seated (I have other AKs, so I know how to put a top cover on).  Add in high fixed sights (the rear sight can be physically removed, but you still have the front sight to deal with when using optics), the standard AK lack of a BHO, plus the fact that it’s pretty proprietary, and I’ll take any of my AR-10 types over the ACE any day of the week.

I honestly think this is just IWIs attempt to cash in on the Galil name, and I say that having an original IMI Galil ARM.  Just don’t care for it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Get what you want regardless of cost.  I know it always ends up costing me more when I try and settle for something lower priced that's not quite what I really want.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
^^^^“A Larue for $1500?? I gotta look into that.

When you say "light" how light are you talking?”
————————

7.7 lbs for the original PredatAR but the kit has a Keymod/Mlock rail that I think may be even lighter. The rail is definitely very slim and really reduces the feel of many bulky 308 framed ARs. I’ll try and find a scale to weigh it.

Best part about the kit is if you want to suppress it you can put the SLR on it.

Articles about PredatAR

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tactical/configure-7-62mm-sniper-system/

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/07/13/review-larue-predatar/

http://www.swatvault.com/gun-reviews/battle-rifle-realized-larue-tactical-predatar/
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/A617CBA6-BA72-457E-9D53-F03E33BEBA28-575314.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/665AC6C2-91CB-4CAC-91CF-742339EBD31C-575316.JPG
View Quote
Dammit now I want to find a way to fund one of these... and I am about to finish a 308 build$60 away from done.... dammit.

does anyone know if this will fit a Mega Maten Lower?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have an ACE in 7.62x51 and it would be the first gun I’d get rid of if I could.  The ACE isn’t actually used by the Israelis; they are mainly for export, and I don’t think there are only a handful of users that use this caliber version.  I’m not sure how it’s been “military tested”.  The original Galil, sure, but these aren’t those.  It’s OK, but in reality it’s a big AK with only a few minor improvements.  Regardless of what IWI’s propaganda says, it’s not that light (they must be comparing only to the original Galil, which was heavy for an AK).  Also, their trick to get the top rail to be a somewhat repeatable zero make the fit of the rear of the top cover against the lip on the rear of the receiver super tight, meaning I have to beat on the top cover to get it seated (I have other AKs, so I know how to put a top cover on).  Add in high fixed sights (the rear sight can be physically removed, but you still have the front sight to deal with when using optics), the standard AK lack of a BHO, plus the fact that it’s pretty proprietary, and I’ll take any of my AR-10 types over the ACE any day of the week.

I honestly think this is just IWIs attempt to cash in on the Galil name, and I say that having an original IMI Galil ARM.  Just don’t care for it.
View Quote
Actually, the ACE "family" has found just as much success as the original series and in shorter time. And the guts of the Galil in regards to what works, what doesn't hasn't changed since the original... The 7.62x51 version of either hasn't find much success outside a few oddball purchases.. Nepal, S.America, etc....

As for parts being proprietary, I would argue it's a better choice then some oddball AR10 from a US Civilian only company that will be out of business in 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as oddball parts, I'm of the opinion that all .308 semis are "oddball" to some extent if we're comparing them against the DI AR pattern. Sure, the AR-10s are closer, but they're not all cross-compatable.

Whether you go SCAR, Galil, Ruger SR-762, KAC, LaRue, M&P10, Armalite, DMPS, etc you're going to have proprietary parts no matter where you go.

However....yes...the Galil does have more than usual, but really only right behind something like a SCAR with it's AR-style lower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dammit now I want to find a way to fund one of these... and I am about to finish a 308 build$60 away from done.... dammit.

does anyone know if this will fit a Mega Maten Lower?
View Quote
No clue about the lower but $1491... do it

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^^^^“A Larue for $1500?? I gotta look into that.

When you say "light" how light are you talking?”
————————

7.7 lbs for the original PredatAR but the kit has a Keymod/Mlock rail that I think may be even lighter. The rail is definitely very slim and really reduces the feel of many bulky 308 framed ARs. I’ll try and find a scale to weigh it.

Best part about the kit is if you want to suppress it you can put the SLR on it.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2013/12/how_to_set_up_762mm_sniper_F.jpg

Articles about PredatAR

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tactical/configure-7-62mm-sniper-system/

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/07/13/review-larue-predatar/

http://www.swatvault.com/gun-reviews/battle-rifle-realized-larue-tactical-predatar/
View Quote
Thank you for these.

Skimming through, everyone seems super excited about the weight, but it really doesn't strike me as all that awesome. 7.7lbs is cool, and you get more gun than the 7.6lb M&P10 and it's lighter than the SR-762, but it still tops out at around 10 pounds loaded. Sure, it may not be the heaviest, but I'm not about to do cartwheels over it.

I wish there was an option for a shorter handguard. Balance is key for me, and I don't really care for the 14" handguard, and can't swap it for anything shorter. Despite my comments above, I could see this thing being a strong contender with that mod.

EDIT: Okay, looking at the LaRue site, these actually look pretty impressive. Still wish I could get a shorter handguard on the 16" model, but the rest is good. What is the difference between the PredatAR and the PredatOBR?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Everyone picks up a SCAR17 and remarks rightfully so how lightweight it is. I hand over that tAR UU kit and they say the same thing about the weight. Then I point out that it’s still a rather simple DI gun that takes Pmags and any AR trigger unlike a SCAR17. The maintenance and cleaning is simple because it’s just an AR.

I get that 7.7lbs doesn’t seem like a big deal because once you add optics and other things it jumps up. However, the LMT MWS is listed at 9.83lbs and a SCAR17 is 8lbs. While weight isn’t everything it’s something to consider.

As for the differences..

The OBR is a heavy barrel with port selector technology (pst) for suppressed or standard. It has a 20moa rail for 762 and 10moa rail for 556. The top rail is continuous so you can put optics and NV anywhere on it.

The PredatOBR (tOBR) is a take down rifle that returns to zero. While a lot will say who needs this. I like that you can buy one gun and have a short and long barrel with different optics sighted in for it. It also makes replacing barrels and cleaning super easy. The tOBR also has a PST. It has the same profile barrel as the OBR but a 0moa rail.

Finally the PredatAR (tAR) is a midweight barrel with a non adjustable gas block and 0moa rail.

Photo to help below...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I am scheming already figuring out how to fund this project.

I do have a question, since I do not see a option for a tOBR barrel, I would love to have the PST on it, but have you run your tAR with a suppressor?

and you say with the 16" tAR barrel it weighs 7.7 lbs?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I have no idea if anyone's posted this yet, but OP NEEDS TO SEE THIS the Ruger 762's HG is NOT free floated. It wraps around and contacts the gas block.

ETA PM sent
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Everyone picks up a SCAR17 and remarks rightfully so how lightweight it is. I hand over that tAR UU kit and they say the same thing about the weight. Then I point out that it’s still a rather simple DI gun that takes Pmags and any AR trigger unlike a SCAR17. The maintenance and cleaning is simple because it’s just an AR.

I get that 7.7lbs doesn’t seem like a big deal because once you add optics and other things it jumps up. However, the LMT MWS is listed at 9.83lbs and a SCAR17 is 8lbs. While weight isn’t everything it’s something to consider.

As for the differences..

The OBR is a heavy barrel with port selector technology (pst) for suppressed or standard. It has a 20moa rail for 762 and 10moa rail for 556. The top rail is continuous so you can put optics and NV anywhere on it.

The PredatOBR (tOBR) is a take down rifle that returns to zero. While a lot will say who needs this. I like that you can buy one gun and have a short and long barrel with different optics sighted in for it. It also makes replacing barrels and cleaning super easy. The tOBR also has a PST. It has the same profile barrel as the OBR but a 0moa rail.

Finally the PredatAR (tAR) is a midweight barrel with a non adjustable gas block and 0moa rail.

Photo to help below...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/2BBAA359-A2AD-41E5-9D95-00BC4DA6D33F-576078.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As for the differences..

Photo to help below...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136152/2BBAA359-A2AD-41E5-9D95-00BC4DA6D33F-576078.JPG
This is very helpful. Thanks. Looking at the Larue site, it looks like the UU kits are very different from the tAR upper. That's unfortunate. I don't really care for the Keymod thing in the UU kit. The perfect gun would be a tAR with a shorter rail (like the one on the tOBR 14.5") and the adjustable gas block. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

I can't figure out why these rifles aren't more well-known! They seem to be a lot of capability for the weight.

Quoted:
I have no idea if anyone's posted this yet, but OP NEEDS TO SEE THIS the Ruger 762's HG is NOT free floated. It wraps around and contacts the gas block.

ETA PM sent
Thanks. Checking PMs....
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA PM sent
View Quote
Was a non issue for me. My SR762 was stupid accurate (good ammo =0.75 MOA 5rd groups, handloads 0.5MOA) and exhibited no shift with different positions and extended firing sessions.

I had a love/hate relationship with the SR762. Was great until I added a suppressor. Was severely over gassed with AAC SDN 6 even with smallest port setting. Tried different buffers  and springs but randomly jammed suppressed. 2014 production rifle, may be a non issue with newer suppressors that generate less back pressure.

I ended up sending it back to Ruger with a write about issues suppressed. Got it back with a note saying Ruger CS fired 3 rounds and it functioned fine. Sold it the week it came back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Was a non issue for me. My SR762 was stupid accurate (good ammo =0.75 MOA 5rd groups, handloads 0.5MOA) and exhibited no shift with different positions and extended firing sessions.

I had a love/hate relationship with the SR762. Was great until I added a suppressor. Was severely over gassed with AAC SDN 6 even with smallest port setting. Tried different buffers  and springs but randomly jammed suppressed. 2014 production rifle, may be a non issue with newer suppressors that generate less back pressure.

I ended up sending it back to Ruger with a write about issues suppressed. Got it back with a note saying Ruger CS fired 3 rounds and it functioned fine. Sold it the week it came back.
View Quote
Man that's too bad. I'd like to suppress one if I got one...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I keep coming back to the Savage MSR-10 as a viable "battle rifle" substitute. All reports seem to be that it's reliable, nutnfancy likes it FWIW, but it's not super accurate out of the box. At least it apparently takes DMPS pattern barrels.

Adjustable gas block is a nice touch as well.

Personally I'd dismissed it because the one example I shot was a rental at a gun range, suppressed with a SiCo can. That gun could not fire 4 shots straight without an issue. Stock collapsed while firing, failures to feed and eject, it was a nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
The POF Revolution is lighter than the Scar and literally the size of an ar-15. They haven't been out long enough to know about long term reliability but POF's piston rifles have a good rep. Haven't checked prices lately, msrp is $2,800 which is a lot, but still $600 less than a Scar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The Robinson XCR-m is going to be the closest in size and function. Same extruded aluminum, monolithic upper, adjustable gas block, piston operation.

Pro's for the XCR-m -------

longer handguard w/buried gas block

great two-stage trigger

takes P-mags

$1,000 less than Scar

aluminum lower receiver

aluminum folding stock.

non-reciprocating charging handle

better ergos for bolt lock

better ergos for bolt release

Lots of people here willing to tell you the negatives, starting with the owner of the company. They never owned one. When you ask an owner they usually have nothing but praise for the XCR-m and XCR-l.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The POF Revolution is lighter than the Scar and literally the size of an ar-15. They haven't been out long enough to know about long term reliability but POF's piston rifles have a good rep. Haven't checked prices lately, msrp is $2,800 which is a lot, but still $600 less than a Scar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's very intriguing - I'll check it out. I will say, however, that the POF .308 I picked up was the most unbalanced and front-heavy rifle I've ever handled, second only to a suppressed AR-10. I think it's a combination of the rail length and the piston system.

Quoted:
The Robinson XCR-m is going to be the closest in size and function. Same extruded aluminum, monolithic upper, adjustable gas block, piston operation.

Pro's for the XCR-m -------

longer handguard w/buried gas block

great two-stage trigger

takes P-mags

$1,000 less than Scar

aluminum lower receiver

aluminum folding stock.

non-reciprocating charging handle

better ergos for bolt lock

better ergos for bolt release

Lots of people here willing to tell you the negatives, starting with the owner of the company. They never owned one. When you ask an owner they usually have nothing but praise for the XCR-m and XCR-l.
Very very interesting! Look like a promising platform....hope we see more support for it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Looking around on that rifle over the last 24 hours and I gotta say it doesn’t seem worth the hype. Over 9lbs? That’s just ridiculous. Product support is low, and the complaints about the CEO are legitimate. I read his post over on their forum...good grief. He set himself on fire.

It’s hard enough jumping to a proprietary platform. Even harder when the reliability is spotty, CS is nil, and the rifle weighs a ton.

Gonna have to pass.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Savage MSR10 is 7.8lbs, has adjustable gas and a 5r barrel IIRC.

DPMS GII recon is 8.5lbs and can be made less with a handguard swap, dunno why they put that boat anchor quadrail on there.

I went with a DPMS GII with MI handguard and Rainier match barrel, dunno how averse you are to minor gunsmithing tho.

Both are somewhat below the cachet of a LaRue or SCAR though, if that matters to you.  I assume no matter what you get you are gonna give it a shakedown.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I cannot imagine not buying one of the new light weight 308 platforms that are available today. I think there are two or three companies now that use something with smaller receivers and bolt carrier than the original SR 25 design. All the weight you save on that can be added on a thicker more accurate barrell, A nicer stock more ammo etc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I cannot imagine not buying one of the new light weight 308 platforms that are available today. I think there are two or three companies now that use something with smaller receivers and bolt carrier than the original SR 25 design. All the weight you save on that can be added on a thicker more accurate barrell, A nicer stock more ammo etc.
View Quote
Which ones are you thinking of?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone here owned both a SCAR 17 and an SR25? I'd like to hear input of which is preferred.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DPMS g2

Adams Arms g2 licensed piston

PSA px-10

POF Revolution
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Having handled both, the DPMS GII is inherently lighter because of the modified barrel extension they used.  Savage MSR10 reportedly uses the larger DPMS G1 style barrels.  Larger aftermarket, slightly heavier.  The Savage is a done deal though; 5r barrel, FF handguard, adjustable gas,  which is good because it has no aftermarket handguards.

Again, if you are not averse to some minor gunsmithing, you could start out with a 6.9lbs DPMS GII Compact Hunter, add an SLR Ion Ultra Lite handguard, thread the barrel while its off, swap the SOPMOD stock for something lighter, and end up in the 7.25-7.5lb range.  Personally, I would also add an A5 system receiver extension, titanium QD end plate and nut, and Superlative adjustable gas block while you're in there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anyone here owned both a SCAR 17 and an SR25? I'd like to hear input of which is preferred.
View Quote
@DCV_117 I've spoken with two folks on Instagram who have both. Both preferred the performance and ergos of the SR-25 but said "the SCAR kept pulling me back." The weight alone meant that if they had to carry the rifle around, they'd go with the SCAR. Otherwise the KAC offered a more ergonomic and accurate platform.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Having handled both, the DPMS GII is inherently lighter because of the modified barrel extension they used.  Savage MSR10 reportedly uses the larger DPMS G1 style barrels.  Larger aftermarket, slightly heavier.  The Savage is a done deal though; 5r barrel, FF handguard, adjustable gas,  which is good because it has no aftermarket handguards.

Again, if you are not averse to some minor gunsmithing, you could start out with a 6.9lbs DPMS GII Compact Hunter, add an SLR Ion Ultra Lite handguard, thread the barrel while its off, swap the SOPMOD stock for something lighter, and end up in the 7.25-7.5lb range.  Personally, I would also add an A5 system receiver extension, titanium QD end plate and nut, and Superlative adjustable gas block while you're in there.
View Quote
Sounds like good advice. I don't mind some gunsmithing, though I don't have access to a vice and workbench anymore so it's trickier.

You mentioned cachet in an earlier post - I don't really care what "the hive" thinks of my gun, I just want it to work! Hence my focus on the SCAR and other tested platforms. I am somewhat distrusting of AR-10 builds since the standardization isn't there, but if my frankengun worked...then great!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]
My frankengun 308 is basically done, Ill hit you up whenever I get a chance to go out with it
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[b].
Features are:
Weight: Under 8lbs is best
Barrel: 16" is best, but 18" could work.
Adjustable gas: needs to work with a can either way
Reliability: takes any ammo and most mags in its type
View Quote
POF Revolution checks all these boxes for sure. If you don’t want to drop $2300 and want something with greater parts commonality, let me recommend the POF P308 Edge. The Edge weighs about 8.3 lbs.

I converted my P308 Gen 4 to an Edge handguard and barrel nut, weighs 12.1 lbs fully loaded as pictured. Shoots Wolf steel cased ammo under 2 MOA and eats EVERYTHING. Short stroke gas piston, 5-position adjustable gas block, fully ambidextrous, monolithic rail, E2 chamber for assisted extraction, you’ll never wear out the barrel or bolt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

POF Revolution checks all these boxes for sure. If you don’t want to drop $2300 and want something with greater parts commonality, let me recommend the POF P308 Edge. The Edge weighs about 8.3 lbs.

I converted my P308 Gen 4 to an Edge handguard and barrel nut, weighs 12.1 lbs fully loaded as pictured. Shoots Wolf steel cased ammo under 2 MOA and eats EVERYTHING. Short stroke gas piston, 5-position adjustable gas block, fully ambidextrous, monolithic rail, E2 chamber for assisted extraction, you’ll never wear out the barrel or bolt.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421435/1B316176-77F2-40D6-A6B2-19365C957403-587021.JPG
View Quote
That's a really attractive option, but does POF do a shorter handguard - something that maybe stops short of fully covering the gas block? I just ask because they get so front-heavy without that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My frankengun 308 is basically done, Ill hit you up whenever I get a chance to go out with it
View Quote
@Shrockster Thanks man!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@DCV_117 I've spoken with two folks on Instagram who have both. Both preferred the performance and ergos of the SR-25 but said "the SCAR kept pulling me back." The weight alone meant that if they had to carry the rifle around, they'd go with the SCAR. Otherwise the KAC offered a more ergonomic and accurate platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top