Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2022 6:01:45 PM EDT
I have a 16” “legacy” SR15 that I’ve been shooting for over 10 years and have had great success with it.  Today I threw on my AAC M4-2000 and started having consistent (every round to every 10 rounds or so) malfunctions, stove pipe/failure to eject to be precise, and the bolt will not reliably lock back on an empty magazine.  The rifle has a standard carbine weight buffer and a sprinco (white) buffer spring.  I figured it might be a gassing issue since brass was ejecting (barely) at the 1 o’clock so I tried a H2 buffer and a H3 buffer with sprinco (blue) spring.  I had the exact same failures consistently although the brass did seem to eject more energetically albeit at the 1 o’clock.  I checked the gas rings and did the “test” and they seem in spec.  The rifle functions normally while shooting unsuppressed with perfect ejection.  The ammo I tried today was federal xm193, Speer gold dot .223, and black hills 77 grain mk262, about 75 rounds of each. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Check that the ejector still has good tension.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Had similar issues with my Mod 1 and switched to a Spikes T2 buffer, that seemed to fix all of the issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I’d change the ejector spring.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You're likely still over gassed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was considering ejector problems but that wouldn’t explain why the bolt won’t lock back on an empty mag.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was considering ejector problems but that wouldn’t explain why the bolt won’t lock back on an empty mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missed that it's not locking back on last round.  You've already upped the buffer weight and buffer spring tension.  When was the last time the chamber was scrubbed?  Extractor still look good?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Chamber gets a thorough scrubbing every 500 rounds.  Extractor gets removed and scrapped/cleaned with the same regularity and looks to be in perfect shape.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:

I changed the ejector spring yesterday and found the old one to be pretty worn.  Not broken but a few millimeters shorter than the new one.  I ran 90 rounds through it today and no more failures to eject.  It’s still very gassy though so I’ll mess with buffer/spring weight to get it right.  Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What we see when teaching Armorer courses is that on suppressed rifles we are seeing the ejector springs get shorter quicker, I attribute this to the guns getting hotter quicker and staying hotter longer due to the suppresser due to the effects of the back pressure of the suppressor.  We also notice that the ejector and spring track gets a lot more carbon build up, again we attribute this to the effects of the back pressure of the suppressor.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

Thanks Sully, I definitely noticed more carbon build up in the ejector channel.  I’ll be seeing you in a few years for armorer recert!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top