Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2020 8:43:00 PM EDT
So, I'm planning on making an SP1 style rifle on an 80% lower. More for function, not so much a 100% clone.

I have a few questions:

1) Is black anodizing on the upper/lower receiver sacrilege?

2) Based on the answer to the previous question, who makes a good slab side upper receiver? If grey is the only way, who makes a good quality 80% lower in grey anodizing.

3) Where to source a good quality A1 furniture set? I've heard Brownell's isn't very strong, not to mention they're out of stock.

4) Barrel? I'm looking at a 1:9 twist, I don't necessarily require Chrome Lining. I was looking at a NBS barrel on ar15discounts but I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
Chase
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Grey.

Paint it if you have too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I'm planning on making an SP1 style rifle on an 80% lower. More for function, not so much a 100% clone.

I have a few questions:

1) Is black anodizing on the upper/lower receiver sacrilege?

2) Based on the answer to the previous question, who makes a good slab side upper receiver? If grey is the only way, who makes a good quality 80% lower in grey anodizing.

3) Where to source a good quality A1 furniture set? I've heard Brownell's isn't very strong, not to mention they're out of stock.

4) Barrel? I'm looking at a 1:9 twist, I don't necessarily require Chrome Lining. I was looking at a NBS barrel on ar15discounts but I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
Chase
View Quote

Get the brown furniture, then dip em in some black rit dye.  Works for me.  I use a retangular metal cake pan on the stove top, and get it plenty hot.  Use tongs. A simple no brainer operation. Love my Brownell furniture.  Weak?  Not really.

Check out JSE.  They have nice barrels there.  Furniture sets too for a few bucks more than Brrownells.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#3]
why an SP1, why not just an early 604?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the ar15discounts barrel, while I havent shot it yet I'm happy with my purchase. Just be aware it does not come with front sight post or sling swivel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the ar15discounts barrel, while I havent shot it yet I'm happy with my purchase. Just be aware it does not come with front sight post or sling swivel.
View Quote
The one I'm looking at for $169.95 says it does come with a FSB? It's a lightweight contour barrel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
why an SP1, why not just an early 604?
View Quote
I suppose a 601/602/603/604 is what I'm going for. I really don't know the distinction between each variant. Just looking for a slab side upper receiver, three prong flash hider.

Looks like the 601 is the slab side variant. The following variants have forward assists?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#7]
New questions:

1) Any source for A1 80% lowers? I'm seeing NoDak Spud as the only producer I can find currently.

2) Any source of raw aluminum A1 upper receivers, not 80 percent. I can't find any of these.

I'm going to engrave the lower, so I need raw aluminum. And I'm planning on coating it in John Norrell's Moly Resin. With that being said, I'd like the A1 upper receiver to match, so I think it should be raw aluminum as well? Maybe John Norrell's Moly Resin works on regular anodizing just fine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The upper does not need to be raw aluminum.  Norrell's greyish flat black will be a close match to an original grey upper or a new one anodized in XM grey.  If you want the colors exact, you can spray Norrell's over anodizing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The upper does not need to be raw aluminum.  Norrell's greyish flat black will be a close match to an original grey upper or a new one anodized in XM grey.  If you want the colors exact, you can spray Norrell's over anodizing.
View Quote
Awesome, I was really struggling finding a raw upper. I was even going to strip the anodizing from the receiver to ensure the upper/lower matched.

Do you need to rough up anodizing to ensure Moly Resin sticks well, if so how would you go about roughing it up?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I suppose a 601/602/603/604 is what I'm going for. I really don't know the distinction between each variant. Just looking for a slab side upper receiver, three prong flash hider.

Looks like the 601 is the slab side variant. The following variants have forward assists?
View Quote
do a little homework before you buy anything
https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you need to rough up anodizing to ensure Moly Resin sticks well, if so how would you go about roughing it up?
View Quote
It depends on the anodizing. If it's a good, matte finish, then you can spray right over it after a thorough degreasing.
If it's shiny, like a lot of older, used, uppers I would rough it up before spraying it.
The best way would be to give it a light dusting in a blast cabinet to give the Norrells a little "tooth" to adhere to.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The one I'm looking at for $169.95 says it does come with a FSB? It's a lightweight contour barrel.
View Quote
Yes it has the sight base but no front sight post, detent or spring. I bought a a1 kit off of tnte sales. Came with the front sight post,spring,detent, sling swivel and rivet to finish it off
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

do a little homework before you buy anything
https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde.html
View Quote
I'll be reading this shortly, thank you for the knowledge!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It depends on the anodizing. If it's a good, matte finish, then you can spray right over it after a thorough degreasing.
If it's shiny, like a lot of older, used, uppers I would rough it up before spraying it.
The best way would be to give it a light dusting in a blast cabinet to give the Norrells a little "tooth" to adhere to.
View Quote
Makes sense! I think the stuff I'm going to purchase will be a matte finish. I feel as if taking them through a blast cabinet may be something I'll consider even with a matte finish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes it has the sight base but no front sight post, detent or spring. I bought a a1 kit off of tnte sales. Came with the front sight post,spring,detent, sling swivel and rivet to finish it off
View Quote
Ahhhh gotcha, if I do purchase that barrel I'll end up going with the TNTE kit like you did. It's the only barrel I can find in my price range. As long as it hits what I'm shooting at within 200m I'll be happy!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Where was this style of rollmark used? I know of the mainstream M16A1 rollmark where it lists "PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT." & you have the option of it saying "COLT AR-15" or not.

Link Posted: 3/15/2020 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where was this style of rollmark used? I know of the mainstream M16A1 rollmark where it lists "PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT." & you have the option of it saying "COLT AR-15" or not.

https://i.imgur.com/B8m8ELH.jpg
View Quote
That’s for a late 70’s/80’s M16a1 (Colt model 603) definitely NOT an SP1 or 601.  if you’re going for a 601 or sp1 look that’s not the roll mark you want.  Also the forward assist came with the XM16E1 or early Colt Model 603’s the 601’s, 602’s and 604’s didn’t have forward assists

My sp1 roll mark says:

COLT AR-15
CAL .223
MODEL SP1
SER SP XXXXX

If you want a 601 Dogfight ink has the stencils for a 601 except on actual 601’s the “Safe, semi and auto” markings are only on one side

Link Posted: 3/15/2020 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
If you’re going for an SP1 this is the roll mark you want.

Link Posted: 3/15/2020 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
If you’re going for a 604 (no forward assist) this is the roll mark you’d want

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
It's too bad, but Dogfight Ink doesn't/can't offer any stencils with Colt's logos or information any more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's too bad, but Dogfight Ink doesn't/can't offer any stencils with Colt's logos or information any more.
View Quote
Yes they do.  ;)
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wondering, what is the purpose of serializing an 80 percent lower. Is it just a random serial number for visual purposes or are people legitimately serializing their lowers and registering them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just wondering, what is the purpose of serializing an 80 percent lower. Is it just a random serial number for visual purposes or are people legitimately serializing their lowers and registering them.
View Quote
Usually visual purposes unless the owner has someone mill it out, but who ever does it has to be a licensed manufacturer where they legally have to put their name and a serial number on the gun.  Most people just mill them out themselves.  I have an 80% with the same markings as one of my Colt XM16E1 demilled receivers right down to the same serial number. (It was too far gone for Braceman to resurrect)
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Usually visual purposes unless the owner has someone mill it out, but who ever does it has to be a licensed manufacturer where they legally have to put their name and a serial number on the gun.  Most people just mill them out themselves.  I have an 80% with the same markings as one of my Colt XM16E1 demilled receivers right down to the same serial number. (It was too far gone for Braceman to resurrect)
View Quote
Gotcha!! This is coming together nicely, just waiting to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay, so after a few days of hardcore research I have a pretty good understanding of the 601, 602, 603, and 604.

With that being said, now comes engraving the lower. I have two methods, one seems experimental - the other is obvious.

1) Basic method: Take a raw 80% lower, electro etch, sand blast, cover in moly resin, bake.

2) Experimental method: Take an anodized 80% lower, remove the anodizing only from the rollmark areas with oven cleaner, electro etch, sand blast etched areas, cover in moly resin, bake.

I'm thinking of using an already anodized receiver because all of the nooks and crannies are anodized and have a protective coating. I feel as if you could just remove the anodizing from the areas you're going to etch, leave everything else anodized. Once it's covered in Moly Resin who'd know?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Okay, so after a few days of hardcore research I have a pretty good understanding of the 601, 602, 603, and 604.

With that being said, now comes engraving the lower. I have two methods, one seems experimental - the other is obvious.

1) Basic method: Take a raw 80% lower, electro etch, sand blast, cover in moly resin, bake.

2) Experimental method: Take an anodized 80% lower, remove the anodizing only from the rollmark areas with oven cleaner, electro etch, sand blast etched areas, cover in moly resin, bake.

I'm thinking of using an already anodized receiver because all of the nooks and crannies are anodized and have a protective coating. I feel as if you could just remove the anodizing from the areas you're going to etch, leave everything else anodized. Once it's covered in Moly Resin who'd know?
View Quote
3) http://vadertactical.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I were you I’d take a raw 80% get yourself a colt stencil from Dogfight ink (they’re less than $20), electro etch it, and have the whole thing anodized, you get what you want a whole lot easier and it’ll look WAY better.  To do option 2 is VERY redundant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I were you I’d take a raw 80% get yourself a colt stencil from Dogfight ink (they’re less than $20), electro etch it, and have the whole thing anodized, you get what you want a whole lot easier and it’ll look WAY better.  To do option 2 is VERY redundant.
View Quote
I thought you can't get AR lowers anodized if they aren't serialized?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I thought you can't get AR lowers anodized if they aren't serialized?
View Quote
That’s the first time I ever heard that. I’d contact SNF finishing or Victor at US Anodizing and verify if that’s true or not. (I have my doubts it’s true but I could be wrong)But if you get a stencil from dogfight you can make up any serial number you want
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s the first time I ever heard that. I’d contact SNF finishing or Victor at US Anodizing and verify if that’s true or not. (I have my doubts it’s true but I could be wrong)But if you get a stencil from dogfight you can make up any serial number you want
View Quote
Doesn't it need to be a "real" serial number? Maybe they anodize 80 percenters before they're milled out. I can't remember exactly but some body of text has me convinced I should be coating my own lowers rather than sending them off. I'll contact him and post the answer in here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the question I asked Victor:

Hey Victor,

I've been asking around in regards to creating my own M16A1 lower receiver and I've been sent to you in regards to anodizing 80% lowers. I had a few questions. I plan on starting from scratch with a raw lower from NoDak Spud.

1) Will you anodize an already milled receiver?

2) Do you require a serial number to anodize a lower?

3) Will you anodize lowers with electro etching on them.

Thanks,
Chase

Here is Victor's reply:

Hi,

Sorry, but we are not able to take any new work at this time.  With all the stuff going on now with this virus, it is going to be a few months or more.

We are only processing contract parts right now, and doing that short handed.

Also, we are no longer processing 80% self manufactured receivers.

Victor
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top