Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2018 1:22:48 PM EDT
I have now watched most if not all of Blue Falcon's tests on SP ammo, with a particular eye on the cheap Russian stuff.  SG Ammo has their own mix being made by Barnaul in both 55 and 62 gr.  I currently have a bunch of Wolf Gold, a decent amount of Wolf steel case, then a smattering of 55gr Gold Dots, Mk318 SOST, Fusion MSR, a decent stash of Mk262 clone ammo from IMI and CBC, and I think a bag of Hornady 55gr SP's.  I am contemplating buying several thousand of the SG ammo 55gr SP's to load up/stock for a consistent HD/SHTF load vs. the various mixtures of other stuff.  I have a mixture of 5.56 setups, mostly mid-length 16" barrels and then a few 10.5" and 12.5" SBR's (usually suppressed).  All of them run steel case just fine, but I have not made a habit of running steel case ammo through suppressors.

Am I asking for trouble due to performance?  From what I gathered, the lower velocity on the SBR's with SP's is not necessarily a bad thing?  Since it's Russian, concern that BF's videos were just a "sample of one?"  And that I'm asking for inconsistent performance?

Am I asking for trouble due to suppressors?  Is there greater concern for baffle strikes and other issues with commie ammo?

Am I asking for trouble for other reasons?  I've seen the steel case vs. brass testing and I am not counting barrel life as "trouble" as I'd still use my considerable stash of Wolf Gold for range time.

To my somewhat educated eye, the commie SP's look like they might be the right intersection of cost and terminal performance but would love feedback on why I might be inviting mine own death with this plan.

ETA:  also looking at some .308 Tulammo 165gr SP's for the same purpose and for same reasoning (BF's video shows good perf).

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I stack Russian SP, 62 and 55gr deep.  YOu can get it cheaper than brass cassed 55gr ammo.  It's basically the only ammo I use to train with and what I keep in nearly every ready mag I've got.  Since I train with it I know how well it will run in my weapons and I have no doubts it'll serve just fine.  I'm actually the one who sent BF the Silver and Brown bear he tested.  Was neat seeing it fired into Gel.  I've shot the 62grain stuff out to 650 yards on a 36inch gong and gotten hits.  Not every hit but 3 out of 5 typically.  Where I live the only place you can shoot that far is on a range setup for it so I'm not worried about reaching out past 200 or so yards.  Even 100 yard shot would be stretching it here so outright accuracy isn't nearly as much of a concern for me as if I was doing longer range work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
1. why do you need several thousand SD rounds?
2. If I was stocking for SD, I would consider reliability to be the #1 priority, with effects second

No I would not use it because there are better options
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. why do you need several thousand SD rounds?
2. If I was stocking for SD, I would consider reliability to be the #1 priority, with effects second

No I would not use it because there are better options
View Quote
1.  so that I have it.  just in case.  cuz America.  Maybe it's cheap enough to train regularly with the same exact stuff I would use for SD/HD?  I sure don't do that now at 60-90 cents per round or whatever it is.
2.  yep, understood...i have had near 100% reliability with the regular old Wolf steel case 55g/62gr I use for range time.

I think I am looking for input on reliability, terminal effects, warnings, etc.  Could Russian SP really the sweet spot for reliability, lethality, cost?

thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also been looking for the sweet spot as far as HD ammo is concerned. The sweet spot I've settled on is Frontier 62 grain SP (spire point) in 5.56. Here's why. My research has led me to conclude that the Frontier 62 grain SP, is the same bullet that Hornady uses on their TAP ammo. They basically advertise it as a barrier-blind bullet. The Frontier ammo is manufactured at Lake City, the same place the Federal 5.56 FBIT3/SBCT3 is manufactured at, which gets rave reviews. So is the only difference between the Frontier and the Federal the bullet? From what I can find, the Frontier does not have a bonded bullet like the Federal. The other is the price. I've gotten the Frontier for .40 cents a round including shipping. The Federal is at least twice that, not including shipping. The Frontier is brass cased, 5.56 made in America at .40 cents a round vs the .223 steel case Russian 55 SP at .30 cents a round. To me it's worth the extra .10 cents a round.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I think honestly there's a rationale for stocking it deep.  It's cheap.

I will always have a stash of premium grade ammo and I'm unlikely to need that much of a stash.

But the steel cased stuff is cheap enough that it makes enough sense to use it as your big stash/practice ammo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't read the train wreck of a first post, but yes, some of the com block SP is very good.
I keep a stash of Brown Bear 62 grain SP. It is good ammo, I get good enough accuracy that I'll take it hunting. It turns a coyote into a dead coyote, in a hurry. Wolf Gold is a fine XM193 offering IMHO.
There are lots of very fine offerings and FMJ or OTM offerings can be very good AP rounds, along with the specialized things like MK318 Mod0, TAP, Gold Dot, Fusion and others.
Find what works well for you, gets the reliability for you, and gets the terminal effects you want.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
For me its not the ballistics that make steel a no go its the risk of stuck cases needing a rod. Had it happen with all brands across BCM, FN etc barrels. Just not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get Fusion or Gold Dots for 60-70 cpr if you look around. For HD/SHTF, why mess with steel cased Russian ammo?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMHO....

For training... fine, use it.

If the SHTF did happen... and one round of the "maybe" good enough cheap SP ammo cost you a injury or worse... you would wish you had bought better, more thoroughly proven ammo.

Again... I get the whole concept... but am arguing against the actual , possible in the field results.

How much would you actually save dollar wise ?

And is your keister worth that dollar amount ?

I would trust this far more...

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/500-round-case-556-nato-62-grain-spirepoint-soft-point-hornady-frontier-ammo-
View Quote
thanks, this is great input.  do you have any direct experience with that ammo?  I was not aware of it, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can get Fusion or Gold Dots for 60-70 cpr if you look around. For HD/SHTF, why mess with steel cased Russian ammo?
View Quote
Because I've not had a problem with steel cased stuff?

If wolf can make good brass cases, they can make good steel cased.

If you are shooting at less than 100m, I doubt the target will notice any difference.

You arent going to be reloading in shtf, and for HD steel cased doesnt make sense because a HD loadout of "the good stuff" is still cheap.

Steel cased Russian ammo is best for stockpiling.  It works.  It doubles as blasting ammo.  If you are willing to "risk your keister" on the range where you use a much higher % of your ammo (and ostensibly have the highest risk of a KB due to ammo).....then using it in shtf is probably no big deal.

The only negative thing I see with steel cased is that it tends to be loaded a bit slower than comparable military loadings.

I stock both.  If I manage to run into my steel cased stash in SHTF, I've done something horribly wrong.  5k of m193, 1k of m855 is a lot of ammo to go through in those scenarios.  At the end of the day, the steel cased stuff is likely to be used as a trade commodity, but if that's what I had to defend myself, it beats a point stick and harsh language.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For me its not the ballistics that make steel a no go its the risk of stuck cases needing a rod. Had it happen with all brands across BCM, FN etc barrels. Just not worth it to me.
View Quote
I haven'd had a stuck case of steel cased ammo since WOLF was made by Tula.  When they switched to Barnaul (the company who makes all those sweet cheap SP loadings, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, WOLF, Herters, Monarch) those problems pretty much went away.

If you're talking 60 to 70 cents a round for the "good stuff" you're talking a difference in a 1000 round case of ammo big enough to buy 2 AR barrels with some money left over
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
The only time I've had stuck cases was after shooting steel cased ammo and letting the gun sit for days without cleaning the chamber.  I found that if I do a quick clean with a chamber mop and some solvent the fouling is still soft and comes right out.  But I still don't want steel case ammo for anything other than recreational shooting...mainly because if you do shoot the stuff and can't clean the chamber in the field for whatever reason, you may very well then be screwed the next time you do have to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only time I've had stuck cases was after shooting steel cased ammo and letting the gun sit for days without cleaning the chamber.  I found that if I do a quick clean with a chamber mop and some solvent the fouling is still soft and comes right out.  But I still don't want steel case ammo for anything other than recreational shooting...mainly because if you do shoot the stuff and can't clean the chamber in the field for whatever reason, you may very well then be screwed the next time you do have to pull the trigger.
View Quote
I've never had this problem either.  Maybe I'm not shooting enough?  I don't clean after every range session either, more like every 500 to 1000 rounds depending on how I'm feeling, this is on multiple ARs, an AUG, multiple GLOCKs, a .45acp revolver, a PCC.    I mean that's cool if people dont' want to use it leaves more for me to buy up
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
This has degenerated into a steel cased ammo debate. OP is asking a specific question about HD/SHTF ammo. Personally, I would be fine with M193 before I bet my life on steel cased Russian ammo. It may have decent terminal performance, but how is it on barriers? Spend the money and get the 75 gr gold dots for 60 cpr.
ETA https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/223-556mm-ammo
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This has degenerated into a steel cased ammo debate. OP is asking a specific question about HD/SHTF ammo. Personally, I would be fine with M193 before I bet my life on steel cased Russian ammo. It may have decent terminal performance, but how is it on barriers? Spend the money and get the 75 gr gold dots for 60 cpr.
ETA https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/223-556mm-ammo
View Quote
good point. SP's and glass?  drywall?  I have mostly seen gel tests only.  anyone have any expertise there?  there has to be a reason everyone is not using SP's for HD/SD, even non-combloc ammo.  thanks all
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
good point. SP's and glass?  drywall?  I have mostly seen gel tests only.  anyone have any expertise there?  there has to be a reason everyone is not using SP's for HD/SD, even non-combloc ammo.  thanks all
View Quote
Here's one of a guy shooting the Federal XM556FBIT3 through a "simulated" car door and some dry wall.

https://youtu.be/FSQiM67Yq54
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a difference between soft points and bonded soft points like gold dot and fusion. Bonded rounds do well against glass and other barriers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I stashed away 1k or so Gold Dot 223 for shtf. I also too, love the idea of cheap steel ammo for shtf, but let's face it, you're not gonna go wild west with shootouts. That being said, I have almost 2k 75gr bthp by Tula from before the election when 23cpr was considered cheap, especially for 75gr HP steel ammo. You're gonna have to juggle the benefits of cheap vs quality. I've had just about flawless function with every steel ammo I've shot, so I would not mind stacking thousands of those soft points from SGAmmo. However, steel ammo in the end has a higher chance of malfunctioning. It's a risk YOU have to take. Is that a risk I'd be willing to take? Yes. My Tavor ate over 2k steel rounds with 0 malfunctions. My AR with echo trigger almost has the same round count with Wolf steel ammo.

In the end, here's my recommendation. BUY those soft points. But also have a reasonable amount of high quality, brass/nickel plated ammo such as gold dot SP's. At least a dozen or so magazines, depending on how many rifles you own/people you plan on arming. Already owning over 1k gold dot's for the "use this first" ammo, I'd rather have 2-3k extra steel softpoints that I may never have to use vs 1k extra Gold Dot SP's that I may never use. LuckyGunner's Steel vs Brass ammo torture test showed 9/10k and 15/10k steel rounds malfunction. That's with going full auto and being extra dirty, ect. Brass had 0. So pick your poison. Organic or non organic?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
and Wolf Steel cased ( who is a distributor, not a manufacturer, so while the Taiwanese ammo is great brass cased, you aren't really sure which other Com-Bloc ammo company is making your ammo as cheap as possible to beat out the next Com-Bloc company for the Wolf bid ) typically is dirty running with its steel cased ammo.
View Quote
It's true they're a distributor BUT Barnaul took over manuf WOLF from Tula back in like 09 or something along those lines.  Since that time QC on WOLF ammo has been really good.  Barnaul IMO makes the best steel case out there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If wolf can make good brass cases, they can make good steel cased.
View Quote
Wolf is an importer; the Wolf Gold is Taiwanese and has nothing to do with the steel cased stuff from various Russian manufacturers.

That said, some of the steel cased stuff is much, much better now than it was ten years ago.

Quality can still vary widely even with the same brand, however; just went through a couple cases of 9mm that had half a dozen dud rounds, half a dozen out-of-spec rounds that would not chamber, and one backwards primer.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top