Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
Putting aside the magazines choices and if you stick to Glock magazines, why would you build an AR pistol often requiring tweaks as compared to Ruger PC Charger?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Because most people like the ones found on this site live to tinker with guns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The Ruger is a brick.  

AR's are already "take downs".

The CZ Scorpion already exists.

I had a spare SBR'd lower sitting in my safe.

Same manual of arms as all my other AR rifles.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both. AR based 9m.m. is adaptable to whatever you can dream up.
It's lighter and you can tune it.
Parts are in abundance...

Ruger PCC is sort of plain Jane, but they seem to run out of the box.
I have an integral suppressor on my PCC.
It is not as cost effective as an AR based host. But it shouldn't have a stigma against it like the scary AR.

And I agree...
Get both
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I went AR9. Same manual of arms as a lot of our other guns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want both. I don't see a reason to buy the Ruger when I already have an AR9 pistol.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait OP, which one of these is a piston system?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger PC9 are heavy...the option to do a side folder is nice, but with the AR9, you can add a binary trigger.  I know that there is a binary trigger for 10/22, but not sure if it would work in PC9.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
There's also the CMMG radial delayed blowback option.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to shoot a charger first then decide.  Had an AR9 and the recoil impulse was surprisingly obnoxious for a pistol caliber; sold it immediately.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By calicojackrackham:
There's also the CMMG radial delayed blowback option.
View Quote

I'd like to have one but it's over double what I just paid for a PC Charger and has extraction issues that may or may not have been completely figured out.

I really want a Banshee but damn they're expensive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the charger on pre-order but I'm also debating on buying the cmmg complete upper.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
if you want the Charger for a PDW role, it already has the recoil spring internal, and can be fired without a stock as it doesn't have a spring in the buffer tube like the AR... converting an AR9 to a folder is expensive with a LAW hinge, and you need to make sure the bolt carrier will accept the extension for the LAW... I recently re-barreled a spare 9mm lower to a 7.5 blow back... and have explored several other PDW formats, like the PSA AK-v that have internal springs

so far I've settled on a G17 with a Recover Tactical brace
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
if you want the Charger for a PDW role, it already has the recoil spring internal, and can be fired without a stock as it doesn't have a spring in the buffer tube like the AR... converting an AR9 to a folder is expensive with a LAW hinge, and you need to make sure the bolt carrier will accept the extension for the LAW... I recently re-barreled a spare 9mm lower to a 7.5 blow back... and have explored several other PDW formats, like the PSA AK-v that have internal springs

so far I've settled on a G17 with a Recover Tactical brace
View Quote

How do you feel about the reviews saying the charger is unblanced... Especially if you want to run it suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
HypeBeast...sorry if I mislead you... I don't have a PC Charger, and they are unobtanium at the local gun stores due to the Hunan Virus...I have been looking into a PDW style blaster for the truck... the 10.5"  5.56 was just too much of muzzle blast inside the confines of a match scenario, no less the cab of a Tacoma... so was looking for something with a lot less concussion,... built a 10/22 Charger folder, and a 7.5" AR9 but neither was what I was looking for... the PC Charger looked like a contender with a 1913 folding brace....I spent some time looking for internal spring pistols that could be fitted with a collapsible butt stock, and the PC Charger looked to fit the bill as well as the PSA AK-V folder... I have settled on what I consider a better compromise... a G17 capable of being fired traditionally, in addition to having a folding brace attached in the form of the Recover Tactical 2020... , the extended length added by a suppressor kind of defeats my design criteria that it fit in a small nylon sports bag... good luck in your quest
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The Ruger looks like it rode the short bus.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#17]
You lost me at "stick to Glock magazines".......
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I sold my 9mm AR after getting the Ruger PC 9mm.

It all depends on what you want I guess.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#19]
One main attraction to Ruger is that AR9 self builds seem to have many issues for the same mag. I suspect the Ruger may be more reliable?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
My preference is to buy a gun that is designed to shoot 9mm with blowback action. I don't really like taking an AR15 which is gas operated rifle and making it a blowback pistol caliber. It's not an AR to me at that point, it just looks like one. They are fine, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's just a weird mental hangup for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
HypeBeast...sorry if I mislead you... I don't have a PC Charger, and they are unobtanium at the local gun stores due to the Hunan Virus...I have been looking into a PDW style blaster for the truck... the 10.5"  5.56 was just too much of muzzle blast inside the confines of a match scenario, no less the cab of a Tacoma... so was looking for something with a lot less concussion,... built a 10/22 Charger folder, and a 7.5" AR9 but neither was what I was looking for... the PC Charger looked like a contender with a 1913 folding brace....I spent some time looking for internal spring pistols that could be fitted with a collapsible butt stock, and the PC Charger looked to fit the bill as well as the PSA AK-V folder... I have settled on what I consider a better compromise... a G17 capable of being fired traditionally, in addition to having a folding brace attached in the form of the Recover Tactical 2020... , the extended length added by a suppressor kind of defeats my design criteria that it fit in a small nylon sports bag... good luck in your quest
View Quote

All good. I managed pick up a charger on BDU for $571 ?? so far it's worth the 99 cent trial membership. Hopefully it ships soon ??.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One main attraction to Ruger is that AR9 self builds seem to have many issues for the same mag. I suspect the Ruger may be more reliable?
View Quote

I just got a PSA AR9 and have run 500 rounds through it without any issues.  ETS, Glock, Magpul, and Amend2 mags all ran 100%.

I have had more trouble with my Ruger full length PC9. It has a higher "low power threshold"  for full functioning, it won't run some of my reloads.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top