Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2021 1:54:43 PM EDT
Are the Ruger uppers Mil-Spec? How is the quality. I was offered one in a trade and don't know much about them. TIA
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No they aren't milspec but that doesn't make it bad, they are pretty nice for the money. The only down side I can think of is that the delta ring on these is plastic and doesn't use a spring.

I don't believe the handguards have heat shields, thats the only negative I can think of.

The barrel is 1/8 twist and is nitrided which is pretty nice. The gas block also had a built in QD Mount.

The AR-556's medium-contour barrel is a cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel tube with a 5.56 NATO chamber and M4 feedramp cuts. The barrel's diameter is 0.85 inch under the handguard, 0.75 inch under the gas block, and 0.70 inch forward of the gas block. The length is 16.1 inches, and the twist rate is 1:8
View Quote

The Mini 14 flash hider also seems like an interesting take.

Ruger AR-556 AR-15 Review: Is It Good, Great, or Junk?

It's an AR so you can fix a lot of things yourself, but if needed Ruger's support/warranty is amazing and I can't complain. It's a keeper/shooter for sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several friends who have Ruger Ars with no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No they aren't milspec but that doesn't make it bad, they are pretty nice for the money. The only down side I can think of is that the delta ring on these is plastic and doesn't use a spring.

I don't believe the handguards have heat shields, thats the only negative I can think of.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ruger-AR556-660x338.jpg

The barrel is 1/8 twist and is nitrided which is pretty nice. The gas block also had a built in QD Mount.

https://ruger.com/productImages/8500/detail/4.jpg

The Mini 14 flash hider also seems like an interesting take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbKI74990k

It's an AR so you can fix a lot of things yourself, but if needed Ruger's support/warranty is amazing and I can't complain. It's a keeper/shooter for sure.
View Quote

I do not own one, but have heard that the warranty (which is very good) is void if you use any aftermarket parts, even if it's not associated with the malfunction. Of course the work around is to keep all factory original parts and reinstall them before returning if you ever needed service. But I have no first hand knowledge of this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Patrol 556 I got in a deal, it seemed nice but I traded it.

I had a Ruger AR BM450, very nice quality. Sold to get out of that caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top