Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2019 8:16:48 PM EDT
Just curious how often most of you clean you AR or how many rounds do you shoot before cleaning?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Plain old carbine for general purpose use? 500-800 rounds, but lubed regularly.
I also tend to clean BCGs more frequently than barrels.

Sub-moa Nat’l Match Service rifle with cut rifled barrel? 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends.

For my “need to run” rifles I set them up to run pretty dirty and dry, suppressed or not. More gas, more recoil, cleaning is an after thought. That means over gassed, but not to the point of causing feed or ejection issues suppressed.

For my “smooth shooting” rifles I set them up with enough gas to run suppressed a couple hundred rounds before needing an action wipe and lube.

Suppressed shooting with a direct impingement rifle is dirty.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to clean my DI AR's after every use, then with Ni Boron BCG's do only after a couple hundred rounds or so, keep it wet.  My piston AR's I can go way over 500 rounds with the same type of BCGs (actually Fail Safe) and still run wet.  Never any issues.  And, have no reason to think it can not be even more rounds.  Just my old tapes, especially from the 1968 M-16 use.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all - Should have mentioned what is you best bore cleaning tool?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all - Should have mentioned what is you best bore cleaning tool?
View Quote
Every time I shoot I use an Otis pull-through. Some Mpro7 cleaner, let it sit for a bit, then dry patch out. Every 500 rounds or so I'll use some more cleaner soaked patches and either nylon or brass brushes(more passes). Then dry and light oil patch.

Eta. Other than my rack grade bbls, my precision bbls get cleaned every range session more thuroughly. No matter if I fire 1 shot or a few hundred.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If it gets shot it gets cleaned.  How thoroughly cleaned depends on how much it got shot but my guns always get cleaned after they are shot.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it gets shot it gets cleaned.  How thoroughly cleaned depends on how much it got shot but my guns always get cleaned after they are shot.  YMMV.
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We always have a few beers when we clean. So obviously we clean every time we shoot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This +1

Only exception is once a year I take each gun down and clean it and then reassembly (dont take the barrel out of any receiver though).
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Every time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Cleaning every time a firearm is used is a holdover from the black powder days when failing to do so would destroy a firearm (carbon steel + hydroscopic corrosive propellants). It is completely unnecessary with modern firearms and ammunition.

There are 5 reasons to clean:

Lead fouling
Copper fouling
Powder residue fouling
Carbon fouling
Lubrication

After 50 rounds my competition rifle starts to get a bit of carbon near the chamber lead and pressures start to climb because I’m shooting maximum loads. So I clean it.

My long range rig has no change in accuracy until there have been 135 rounds down the pipe. That’s when I clean out the copper fouling.

My Glocks can run 2,000 rounds on 3 drops of oil and show no signs of fouling. There’s no reason to clean a firearm that isn’t fouled.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I clean it after every session as well.

I don't see what's wrong with cleaning it at intervals either. Many people here say they clean it after 500 rounds or so, but that's normally how much I shoot per session so regardless of what "cleaning every session" or "cleaning every 500 rounds" go, I still meet the requirements of having to clean. I'm pretty sure a normal individual would shoot about 120-200 rounds per session and depending on how often they go, you might meet that quota of having to clean. Now if you shoot 120 rounds per session every 6 months, then well it might make sense to clean.

I think duration of how long before your next shooting will be is important consideration as well not just round counts. If you shoot every day, a simple oily patch might do.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
87 rounds...…………………………..

J/K you would not HAVE to clean it each time you take it out, if you want to, go for it.  No 5.56/223 ammo is corrosive that I know of.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
all my rifles are suppressed, so they get cleaned when the bolt gets sluggish
they get a few drops of oil before and after every range day though
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
When I feel they need it......AR's run fine dirty.  You just need to keep them wet.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We always have a few beers when we clean. So obviously we clean every time we shoot.
View Quote
^^^^^. THIS!  ^^^^^
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Bore Snakes for each caliber and then a quick gun bbl rod with oiled cotton patch.  It's really good and after only a couple or three passes, the bbl is clean.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I clean it after I come back from the range.  I did try to put 300 rds through once and it started to fail to rack a round.  I now clean and oil every time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cleaning every time a firearm is used is a holdover from the black powder days when failing to do so would destroy a firearm (carbon steel + hydroscopic corrosive propellants). It is completely unnecessary with modern firearms and ammunition.

There are 5 reasons to clean:

Lead fouling
Copper fouling
Powder residue fouling
Carbon fouling
Lubrication

After 50 rounds my competition rifle starts to get a bit of carbon near the chamber lead and pressures start to climb because I’m shooting maximum loads. So I clean it.

My long range rig has no change in accuracy until there have been 135 rounds down the pipe. That’s when I clean out the copper fouling.

My Glocks can run 2,000 rounds on 3 drops of oil and show no signs of fouling. There’s no reason to clean a firearm that isn’t fouled.
View Quote
You forgot the biggest reason.

To inspect for worn, damaged, or broken parts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. It only takes a couple minutes to run a wet patch through to clean a barrel. No need to scrub with a brush every outing. A couple wet patches, dry patches, then lightly oiled patch. A little grease on the sliding parts and a drop of oil on everything that pivots.

Dirt is abrasive, a dirty firearm won't last as long as one that is cleaned each outing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Every time if it be 1 or 400.

I do this as range time breaks are measured in years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I clean every time I shoot. THe more rounds down the tube, the more aggressive the cleaning. Could be just a wipe down w/ an oily cloth or might have to break out the brushes...
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Not often, I trust my ARs and don't treat them particularly well

Nothing too crazy but I'd guesstimate every 500-750 rounds. I'll add lubrication more frequently (Slip 2k EWL). The cleaning is more for inspection of the bolt lugs than anything else. It takes a *lot* of carbon and grime to put an AR down. If you shoot it suppressed a lot, the round interval shortens appreciably.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top