Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 2:45:35 PM EDT
I recently bought a 9 inch Rosco rail and am having trouble with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is designed to be put on with a castle nut or some sort of special wrench which I can't find. Everytime I go to tighten the nut the rims of the grooves gives out and rounds off. I am on my second barrel nut now and still same problem. Oh yea I have also tried three different castle nut wrenches. I was going to attach a image but don't see the option to directly insert the image.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently bought a 9 inch Rosco rail and am having trouble with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is designed to be put on with a castle nut or some sort of special wrench which I can't find. Everytime I go to tighten the nut the rims of the grooves gives out and rounds off. I am on my second barrel nut now and still same problem. Oh yea I have also tried three different castle nut wrenches. I was going to attach a image but don't see the option to directly insert the image.
View Quote

Are you using an AR barrel nut wrench?  This is a tool specifically designed for that purpose; you are no going to be able to get enough torque by using a generic castle nut wrench.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Did the handguard/barrel nut not come with a wrench?

ETA I just read on Rosco’s site that it is “carbine stock wrench compatible”. Seems like a shortcut to design a barrel nut to work with a tool designed for a different purpose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
A normal barrel nut wrench does not fit into the grooves. It has to be done with castle nut wrench or a special tool from American Defense which they don't sell on their site.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
30 - 80 ft-lbs is a pretty large range to be able to judge torque without a torque wrench. If you feel comfortable with that, use a strap wrench. You can get a feel for the torque value by clamping a big socket in a vise and using your torque wrench set to different amounts to practice. Hold the torque wrench at the same distance away from center axis as you would hold whichever type of strap wrench you would use. Don't forget to lube and season the barrel nut. This type of strap wrench works very well:
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a Daniel Defense Lite/RIS II wrench would work? They're similar in dimension to a castle nut wrench but the notches are more square.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/dd-ar-15-lite-wrench-and-ris-ii/

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have installed a couple of the adm rails and on one build i did it a couple of times to swap barrels. I used the magpul armorers wrench every time and it worked perfect for that barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the wrenches I tried was the Magpul wrench, pretty much got the same result. I contacted ADM about it but never heard anything back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
That might work a lot better. I just hate to pay another $20 plus shipping for another barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn I wish I had thought of a strap wrench before. I think I might just try to sell the rail and go a different route.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Try a pipewrench and leather strap
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try a pipewrench and leather strap
View Quote

I am going to try that, that is probably my best bet if I keep it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]
American Defense Manufacturing got back to me and they are sending me a new barrel nut. I am still going to try a different rail system now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
American Defense Manufacturing got back to me and they are sending me a new barrel nut. I am still going to try a different rail system now.
View Quote

Get the BCM barrel nut wrench. It'll work just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top