Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2022 8:57:56 AM EDT
Got recently introduced to Service Rifle.  Liked that.  Quite a bit.  I am trying to make a build for showing up and not embarassing ourselves (step-son and myself).  Trying to decide on a buttstock.  Shot it with an A2 stock (CMP gun) but know the rules allow different things now.

I have a Rogers Super-stoc on another carbine. I've found the locking mechanism very good; why I bought it.  I generally hate wobbly carbine stocks regardless of the use.  Would that Rogers stock, or a Magpul CTR (no experience w/them but understand they lock up also), work for casual use in competition like that?  Or another candidate? I know the UBR is common in CMP/high power competition but it's out of my price range.

Looking for other casual competition things like that to enhance marksmanship, Appleseed, etc.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:23:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#1]
Magpul’s SL stocks have less wobble than new production CTRs in my experience, but the dimensions of your receiver extension also play a part. It’s a crapshoot.

I’d recommend finding a stock you like and adding tape or coats of paint to the receiver extension for optimal wiggle-free fit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#2]
It's easy to mod a CTR to get it to grip the receiver extension fora solid feel.

I really like my CTR though I am thinking of swapping the one on my HD rifle to the version with storage tubes to put extra batteries for my light and EOTech in there which then frees up the grip storage compartment to store an extra bolt.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Magpul’s SL stocks have less wobble than new production CTRs in my experience, but the dimensions of your receiver extension also play a part. It’s a crapshoot.

I’d recommend finding a stock you like and adding tape or coats of paint to the receiver extension for optimal wiggle-free fit.
View Quote

Well that's interesting because I just bought a gun from a member here, that is on the way with a Magpul SL stock.  Haven't touched one before.

I like the Rogers with the camming lock, but they are harder to find, goofy looking, and I was wondering what else could be had short of fitting an A1 stock.  At the end of the day, "goofy looking" is less important because as cowboys say (wisely), "you can't ride the color."

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:57:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing "carbine based" will be as absolutely solid as a A1 / Magpul Fixed / A2 fixed stock, but the Rogers Super-Stock is pretty darn close to it.

Looks goofy, but as they said about the LEM (A.K.A. Apollo Lunar Lander), it's not what it LOOKS like that really counts, it how it WORKS that makes it "beautiful".

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:

View Quote

We put one on my son-in-law's recent build and I was so impressed that I bought one for my new build.  I also have the Rogers and it locks up tight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I always find the BCM Gunfighter stocks to lock up really solid with no wobble. They have a couple SOPMOD styles with larger cheek rests that might work for you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Normally a Sop Mod stock serves me well, but a new scope I mounted required additional height on the stock, so I went with this.  It's a stick on pad which has stayed affixed after numerous range trips.   Godagrip
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The lock will wear pretty quickly on the CTR, and there will be a small amount of wobble.  Why not use an A1 stock?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]

I was going to suggest this, but figured out of OP's price range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#12]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Nothing "carbine based" will be as absolutely solid as a A1 / Magpul Fixed / A2 fixed stock, but the Rogers Super-Stock is pretty darn close to it.

Looks goofy, but as they said about the LEM (A.K.A. Apollo Lunar Lander), it's not what it LOOKS like that really counts, it how it WORKS that makes it "beautiful".

View Quote

Right, I've found the Super-Stoc very effective and I guess I'll stick with that for the rifle, or cannibilize the M4gery it's on now and move it over.  I bought it for cheap out of the EE a little while ago just to try it and was like "where have you been the last decade, lil' darlin'?"  Very pleased.

The rules don't allow adjustable cheek pieces so it would have to be something like the super-stoc, ctr, UBR, or a fixed stock.

BTW, @bigger_hammer , are you the one who did biggerhammer.net?

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, but no.

I was nicked named long long ago.

then found out about that guy, who has better "Toys" than I do ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of Rogers stock and one of the Colt branded ones. They function just as good as any of the others I have. I bought mine direct.

https://rogersshootingschool.com/collections/featured/products/rogers-super-stock-deluxe?variant=31981117964358
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#15]
PRS lite is a middle ground between UBR and CTR.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]

ergo f93

i have the original magpul version from the group buy here
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul SL was almost too snug. I haven't tried Rogers Super Stock, but like the design over the CTR. For plain M4 waffles, RRA's stocks and tubes seemed to rattle less compared to UTG, Stag, etc, when I hand picked mine at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Well that's interesting because I just bought a gun from a member here, that is on the way with a Magpul SL stock.  Haven't touched one before.

I like the Rogers with the camming lock, but they are harder to find, goofy looking, and I was wondering what else could be had short of fitting an A1 stock.  At the end of the day, "goofy looking" is less important because as cowboys say (wisely), "you can't ride the color."
View Quote

An added benefit of the SL line is the option to use Arisaka’s stock angle adapters and bag riders.

https://arisakadefense.com/stock/

They’re available for CTRs too if you end up going that route instead.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#19]
magpul SL has had the best lockup of all my stocks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:  An added benefit of the SL line is the option to use Arisaka’s stock angle adapters and bag riders.

https://arisakadefense.com/stock/

They’re available for CTRs too if you end up going that route instead.
View Quote

There's also LaRue's retracting cheek piece if you're so inclined.  It puts my face just a hair to high for the irons.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:35:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#21]
LMT DMR stock...another option...might be too much $$ tho. Im happy with the one Ive been using.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
The lock will wear pretty quickly on the CTR, and there will be a small amount of wobble.  Why not use an A1 stock?
View Quote

Or the Magpul fixed carbine if you want a shorter lop?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Alien:
It's easy to mod a CTR to get it to grip the receiver extension fora solid feel.

I really like my CTR though I am thinking of swapping the one on my HD rifle to the version with storage tubes to put extra batteries for my light and EOTech in there which then frees up the grip storage compartment to store an extra bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VX5XCQkcYc
View Quote

Be careful doing this I snapped mine and I wasn't even putting a lot of pressure on it. Magpul doesn't send out that part by itself and I had to send my stock in. Yeah they fixed it for free but I'm still out of CTR stock for like a week and a half.

I also noticed the Magpul CTR will still wobble if it's in the fully collapsed position. The Magpul SL is tight in every position.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#24]
The SOPMOD stocks from either LMT or B5 have been the most stiffest out of the bunch that also isn't too tight where you actually would need some elbow strength to get it to go back and forth, IMO.

Plus they have the best cheek welds and I consider that to be important feature despite them weighing like a brick.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The lock will wear pretty quickly on the CTR, and there will be a small amount of wobble.  Why not use an A1 stock?

Isn't their fixed carbine A1 length?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised that nobody's suggested the ACS or ACS-L before. Slightly longer LOP than a CTR but much better cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I am beginning to think this is a good option for me.  The LOP on that looks about right.

I got the rifle with the SL (S&W Magpul/mid SL), and the SL is too wobbly on it.  Not terrible, but not acceptable.  I am thinking to pick up a CTR and try that - never have, but it seems the strongest contenders are the Rogers, FCS, or CTR.  Else go back to an A1 stock, but I’m not in the mood to find one and refinish it as it’s hard to find nice condition one at any reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The lock will wear pretty quickly on the CTR, and there will be a small amount of wobble.  Why not use an A1 stock?

No, it's more like a carbine stock halfway out.

I'll take a picture when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Its a fixed MOE Stock with adjustable spacers

Fits a carbine tube
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

It’s about 5/8” shorter than A1 IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#33]

I am beginning to think this is a good option for me.  The LOP on that looks about right.

I got the rifle with the SL (S&W Magpul/mid SL), and the SL is too wobbly on it.  Not terrible, but not acceptable.  I am thinking to pick up a CTR and try that - never have, but it seems the strongest contenders are the Rogers, FCS, or CTR.  Else go back to an A1 stock, but I’m not in the mood to find one and refinish it as it’s hard to find nice condition one at any reasonable price.
View Quote

If the SL is wobbly on your rifle, don't waste your money on the CTR, it won't be an improvement.

The Magpul fixed carbine is a solid affordable choice if you can live without the adjustability of a collapsible. And you can always add a PRS butt pad or limbsaver if you want to increase the LOP a little. Or try this mod if you need more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8LwO7yy_U
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jack67:  I am beginning to think this is a good option for me.  The LOP on that looks about right.

View Quote

https://www.cavmfg.com/C1-Buttstock-C1.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top