Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2018 10:10:19 PM EDT
I don't have a safe yet I know boo me. My floor plan in my small apartment won't allow for the safe i want unless I get a light flimsy gun cabinet. Mind you I only have 1 AR-15 and an ar pistol. I have them oiled up and inside gun socks locked up in a case. What's a good temperature that I should set my thermostat for my place that won't cause humidity or too much moisture to prevent rust and corrosion. TIA
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The temperature really doesn't matter. It is the humidity that does matter. The more dry the air, the better. So long as your guns have a light coat of oil on them, rust won't be a problem.

Before I owned a safe or had any kids, I always just hid my guns in a closet. If you do have little kids but no safe, that really is no big deal either contrary to popular sheep opinion. I would keep your home defense guns up high, no round in the chamber, full magazine inserted, hidden somewhere, again; usually in a closet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The temperature really doesn't matter. It is the humidity that does matter. The more dry the air, the better. So long as your guns have a light coat of oil on them, rust won't be a problem.

Before I owned a safe or had any kids, I always just hid my guns in a closet. If you do have little kids but no safe, that really is no big deal either contrary to popular sheep opinion. I would keep your home defense guns up high, no round in the chamber, full magazine inserted, hidden somewhere, again; usually in a closet.
View Quote
I don't have any kids and I should have asked this would it be wise to oil the barrel underneath the handguards. They are not freefloated
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
yes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes humidity is a big factor in rust prevention. If I remember right, bare steel begins to rust at about 80% humidity. There are other things that causes rust like acid from our hands or sweat or salty air. However, it is hard to get those conditions in a controlled environment like your house. Generally speaking humidity of about 50-60% is idea indoors where you want to keep firearms. That is typical in closets or in a typical room.

If you get your fire arm wet or go from cold to hot (such as coming in from a hunt), just be sure to keep the firearm near a heating element. I personally never had a firearm rust on me and I live near the ocean and several times got my firearms wet or covered in sweat in the heat. I always just wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

With that in mind, just be sure to wipe down any firearms at night with a microfiber towel and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't recommend keeping your firearms out of a locked safe unless it is hidden in a wall or something. I'd be more worried about theft or someone finding it than anything else. A safe is relatively cheap and even more so, better protection for your firearm as you can easily get desiccant packs and recharge it every once in a while to offer more protection. Be sure to anchor it to something solid or drill it into something solid.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Temp shouldn't matter.  As long as your apartment is climate controlled (A/C and heat) you should be fine.
AR's are typically aluminum receivers (no rust) and the steel is typically all parkerized and the barrels chrome lined.  really not much to rust.  You don't have to worry too much about them.

I do like to run an oily patch in the barrel (even if chrome) and wipe surfaces with an oily patch, but even than is not likely to matter.

Blued guns I always wipe with an oily patch, but even those if stored indoors would take a long time to rust.

Look at door hardware, metal brackets/screws on furniture etc in your apartment.  I bet none of them are rusty, and none have been wiped down with oil.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
STORAGE ARE SHOULD BE ABOUT 1 DEG WARMER THAN THE REST OF THE AREA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Normal room temperatures are fine. Just make sure that the temperature in your storage area never drops below the dew point. If it does drop below the dew point, air will release its water vapor in form of liquid water.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It's really useful to put some vapor phase rust inhibitor in the safe.  It's usually in the form of plastic chips, and can be bought from machine tool suppliers, among others.  Oil can only do so much, especially in areas that you don't normally clean such as the bedded area of a bolt action, trigger internals, etc.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top