User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's just a great looking rifle. Thanks for detailing this, definitely going to be going this route.

Has anyone finished with plastidip or something with some texture?
View Quote

I’d stay away from plasti-dip.

Used it before and it never really cures properly, just makes a mess later on.

The faux-stone paints at the crafts store work great though.

I have a FAL that had a really shitty stock that I coated with that stuff years ago and it still is going strong.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’d stay away from plasti-dip.

Used it before and it never really cures properly, just makes a mess later on.

The faux-stone paints at the crafts store work great though.

I have a FAL that had a really shitty stock that I coated with that stuff years ago and it still is going strong.
View Quote

Interesting. I've got a squat rack and bench press in my yard that I plastidipped and it's held up phenomenally. Same with the trim on my truck. Then again, those aren't plastic/polymer so maybe it reacts different.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
you must have had a bad batch or something.  I use that stuff a lot and never have issues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Are we supposed to pay in full to get on the list or just email him?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are we supposed to pay in full to get on the list or just email him?
View Quote

Email to get on list, no payment until the brace is ready
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Email to get on list, no payment until the brace is ready
View Quote

What's the email or do we just IM @Red_McCloud ?  

ETA: Nevermind just saw the post on page 4 to email him & not IM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was able to use some inexpensive compression springs - they were at my Lowes.  They came in a pack of 5 springs for like under $3.  I couldn't find it on the Lowes website - but in the hardware and screws isle.

Hillman brand 5/16 x 1-1/2 x.020"  These worked fine for me - maybe a little less strong than the real deal.

For the pin, I have a roll pin kit always on hand - Harbor freight has an assortment box for under $10 - I chose a pin diameter that fit and cut to length with a dremel cut off wheel.

View Quote

Are these like the ones you got?

https://www.amazon.com/1-1-020-Compression-Spring-pieces/dp/B00L1IIXJU

These are the same size but are a heavier gauge .035 WG.

https://www.amazon.com/16-1-1-Compression-Spring-pieces/dp/B00L1IJ1JG
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
When will some of these be available again?

I really need one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I really need one.
View Quote

Working on a few right now, actually, but they’re basically all accounted for.
Email me and cite your arfcom name and I’ll see what I can do, though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really need one.

Done, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my brace from Red yesterday.  Assembled the latch to it with a Tapco latch hardware kit a few minutes ago and put it on my Mk. 18 Mod 0-ish pistol.  Looks great.
I think I've seen a few comments that the brace was a little loose on the RE; mine is just right.  Snug but not tight.  Maybe my RE is on the larger size of spec?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got my brace from Red yesterday.  Assembled the latch to it with a Tapco latch hardware kit a few minutes ago and put it on my Mk. 18 Mod 0-ish pistol.  Looks great.
I think I've seen a few comments that the brace was a little loose on the RE; mine is just right.  Snug but not tight.  Maybe my RE is on the larger size of spec?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37420/20200607_142836_jpg-1451122.JPG
View Quote

Where did you find that at?  I figured I'd have to just use parts from a donor stock.  Only thing I've been able to find is the latch itself, but none of the other hardware.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where did you find that at?  I figured I'd have to just use parts from a donor stock.  Only thing I've been able to find is the latch itself, but none of the other hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37420/20200607_142836_jpg-1451122.JPG

Amazon of all places.  Click the link I've put in here.  It's cheaper than buying a donor stock unless you can find one a lot cheaper than I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
JSE also has their hardware kit in stock which had previously been sold out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
And at half the price of my Amazon source.  With more hardware to boot.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Emailed you the other day. I’m def in for two.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 2:00:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Same here, email sent and I'm in for two as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered 2! ??

Finally!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
For anyone ordering from JSE. I ordered mine a week ago, and it just shipped fyi.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For anyone ordering from JSE. I ordered mine a week ago, and it just shipped fyi.
View Quote

I've been placing small to medium size orders from them 1-2x month since this all started & it's usually been 3-5 business days to ship, it says on their website up to 5 business days right now & that's as good or better than most places lately.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey guys,

I have 2 extra Red Mccloud braces up for grabs if anybody is still waiting patiently on that list, they are wet sanded and painted and ready for a new home.  

- $40 for one with latch and no hardware (plus shipping through paypal gift, alternatively I'll take some 6 hole handguards on trade)

- $50 for one with hardware already assembled. (plus shipping through paypal gift, alternatively I'll take some 6 hole handguards on trade)  

Your braces were so cool you inspired me to learn about 3d printing so I bought a prusa Mk3s I3.  Working on getting some printed some N1 braces with the ribs I designed out of nylon x like @gvazquez did with the M4 brace.  Thanks for bringing these to the community, definitely hit me up if you ever want to collaborate on any retro AR designs in the future.  

P.S. (I'm not planning on stealing your thunder with the braces, but if you decide to throw in the towel let us know and I can step up to the plate and be a source. I could use more sets of six hole handguards lol)
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I have 2 extra Red Mccloud braces up for grabs if anybody is still waiting patiently on that list, they are wet sanded and painted and ready for a new home.  

- $40 for one with latch and no hardware (plus shipping through paypal gift, alternatively I'll take some 6 hole handguards on trade)

- $50 for one with hardware already assembled. (plus shipping through paypal gift, alternatively I'll take some 6 hole handguards on trade)  

Your braces were so cool you inspired me to learn about 3d printing so I bought a prusa Mk3s I3.  Working on getting some printed some N1 braces with the ribs I designed out of nylon x like @gvazquez did with the M4 brace.  Thanks for bringing these to the community, definitely hit me up if you ever want to collaborate on any retro AR designs in the future.  

P.S. (I'm not planning on stealing your thunder with the braces, but if you decide to throw in the towel let us know and I can step up to the plate and be a source. I could use more sets of six hole handguards lol)
View Quote

E-mailed you about the assembled one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

E-mailed you about the assembled one.
View Quote

SOLD! Make sure you guys post pictures of your pistols when you get them hessikin and CGP2.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Will do!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

View Quote

Considering how many people have been waiting, I don't think you'd be putting him out of business.  I'd really like to get mine before they go the way of the bump stock.

https://theburningtruth.us/2020/06/16/rep-gaetz-calls-on-atf-to-cease-plans-restricting-arm-brace-usage-breaking911/

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey all,

I have one of these braces sanded and painted black and clearcoated (latch is broken, but functional). Includes the JSE kit. I've decided to go the SBR route so if any one wants it ($35 shipped) please DM me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey all,

I have one of these braces sanded and painted black and clearcoated (latch is broken, but functional). Includes the JSE kit. I've decided to go the SBR route so if any one wants it ($35 shipped) please DM me.
View Quote
DM sent!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#30]

*Force Marker Intensifies*

Thanks to Alternativebroccoli and Red for making it happen.

EDIT: Bonus of the Commando and my XM-ish build. 16" barrel, P&W XM faux-moderator from Tony's. Great barrel.

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Cant believe the beauty

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Email sent to get on the list for 2 braces. The pistols in this thread look awesome ??.

I have 1 build in need of a brace and another in the parts purchase stage.

Great work Red.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#34]
The amount of love and appreciation you’ve guys have given me over this project has just been... overwhelming to say the least! I’m sorry to those who are still waiting for emails back regarding braces, the deluge of people wanting their own just hasn’t let up and to say the least I am just flabbergasted still, a little over half a year later!
I sure do hope my next projects, when they’re finished, are hits with you guys as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Emailed to get on the list for 2. Thanks for making these!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Also emailed for future availability, these look excellent!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
~~~~
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi, I emailed for a brace on 4/28.  Did I get overlooked?  I really need one of these for my Colt Commando build.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hi, I emailed for a brace on 4/28.  Did I get overlooked?  I really need one of these for my Colt Commando build.

Thanks!
View Quote

Dang, I emailed a month after you & I was starting to wonder.  Now I don't feel so bad.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

4 people emailed me on that day and I’ve been trying to get to all of them, haha. I should’ve asked for arfcom usernames in the first place lmao.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

4 people emailed me on that day and I’ve been trying to get to all of them, haha. I should’ve asked for arfcom usernames in the first place lmao.
View Quote

Maybe you should start a separate thread where list what info you need, where to send it, etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The amount of love and appreciation you’ve guys have given me over this project has just been... overwhelming to say the least! I’m sorry to those who are still waiting for emails back regarding braces, the deluge of people wanting their own just hasn’t let up and to say the least I am just flabbergasted still, a little over half a year later!
I sure do hope my next projects, when they’re finished, are hits with you guys as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whatever you got coming next, I'm excited to see.

Man that thing is sweet. I love how we both did 733's with those braces.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was 5/1 so I appreciate the update, really looking forward to getting mine
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Poor Red.

I bet his life was MUCH simpler before he started printing these!

No good deed goes unpunished right Brother Red?

Everyone please remember he is doing this project out of the love of the hobby and continue to be patient with him.

There's been some REALLY cool retro stuff coming from guys hearts over the course of the years that I've been here. You old guys know what I'm talking about. AMAZING talent!
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a bunch of guys contact me about designing a brace that looks like an N1 stock since Red's is more like the Vinyl Acetate coated aluminum stocks.

Here is my take on it.

Thanks again for the inspiration @Red_McCloud and I also gave him a heads up before posting this here and on my site.

I've also been working an a blade style brace that has the side profile of an AR180 stock for use with my lower design.

It's using a Doublestar shorty A2 tube and an airsoft knockoff of the law tactical folding mechanism.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you going to be selling those N-1 style stocks?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are you going to be selling those N-1 style stocks?
View Quote
If you do, put me on the list for one, please.

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome work!
I can’t wait until someone does one like that M4 or SOPMOD design that was a few pages back.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I think I was one of them lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#50]
All gone

Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top