User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still holding up generally well in the past few months in multiple range sessions.  Chem light is for low-light/night shoots.  This is pictured on a Colt M4A1 build, was testing it out when comparing it to my N-type stock.  Forgot to mention earlier, a few strips of 100 mph tape inside the tube of the stock will allow for a snug and smooth fit on a mil-spec tube.  These were probably printed to be wider to accommodate commercial tubes as well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49637715196_02501e473b_b.jpg
View Quote
I did the same thing, using friction tape. Not sure if that's the same thing as 100 mph tape but it snugged them up significantly.

No recent pics handy, but I've put maybe 500 rds through one gun (pretty heavy use training), and used another one for several overnight hunting trips (so lower rd count but lots of banging around as well) and everything is still holding up well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn these look great! I'd like to get on the list if possible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That is brilliant Red_Mcloud, you are a visionary. Put me on the list for four! Will pay top dollar.??
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sent you an email. I'd just like one. Really good work! Something that has been needed for awhile. Great job!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Still holding up generally well in the past few months in multiple range sessions.  Chem light is for low-light/night shoots.  This is pictured on a Colt M4A1 build, was testing it out when comparing it to my N-type stock.  Forgot to mention earlier, a few strips of 100 mph tape inside the tube of the stock will allow for a snug and smooth fit on a mil-spec tube.  These were probably printed to be wider to accommodate commercial tubes as well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49637715196_02501e473b_b.jpg
View Quote
Just a terrific picture and a great setup
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Add me to the list PLEASE!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huh, quite the sudden influx of interested parties lmao.
My new printer should be here in a few days, after that I'll do a small test batch of 5 to see how they come out. Depending on how they DO come out I'll continue with 10 more for another full batch of 15.
Here's hoping that all goes well.
View Quote
Sorry to spam up this thread, but I'm genuinely interested in your new printer setup.  Shoot me a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting it in here!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Red,
Your inbox is full.  Please add me to the "list"!

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry to spam up this thread, but I'm genuinely interested in your new printer setup.  Shoot me a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting it in here!
View Quote
It’s an Ender 3 Pro with multiple upgrades: Glass bed, aluminum extruder, and Teflon Bowden tube. An extremely inexpensive and, so far, quite versatile set up (the whole gig cost me less than the original price point of the Pro’s, which was $260, and they’re now $220 with free shipping).
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I too would like to be put on the list for two.  Beautiful work!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Any update on new batch
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been gradually shipping out a few to some of the first people on my list, I printed 5 of them before running out of filament, and with COVID-19 Amazon won’t ship me more filament until next month. Hopefully those who are getting these 5 braces can show ‘em off in this thread if they like, but otherwise I have no real update as of yet. Still waiting on that filament...
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up two, I have also been managing a bunch with the covid19 drama. I have to make some time to put my build together, but will post when I can...
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve been gradually shipping out a few to some of the first people on my list, I printed 5 of them before running out of filament, and with COVID-19 Amazon won’t ship me more filament until next month. Hopefully those who are getting these 5 braces can show ‘me off in this thread if they like, but otherwise I have no real update as of yet. Still waiting on that filament...
View Quote

Appreciate the update. Is it possible to know where we are on the list? Are you reaching out to folks who are on the top one by one? Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for update! Sucks I wasn’t closer to the top for this batch hopefully next run when you get more, we spoke over email to put me on the list so I’ll just keep my eye out for an email next month then, keep up the good work !

Quoted:
I’ve been gradually shipping out a few to some of the first people on my list, I printed 5 of them before running out of filament, and with COVID-19 Amazon won’t ship me more filament until next month. Hopefully those who are getting these 5 braces can show ‘me off in this thread if they like, but otherwise I have no real update as of yet. Still waiting on that filament...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Appreciate the update. Is it possible to know where we are on the list? Are you reaching out to folks who are on the top one by one? Just curious.
View Quote

I’m basically going by first to last, as in going from the people who first emailed me to those who just recently emailed me. Believe me when I say I wish I could just go through everyone en-masse and get everything shipped out at once, but I can only print two braces per day, if there’s no problems with the printer, so my rate of production is quite slow. All I can ask is for patience, as I definitely ain’t taking the money and running (the 30+ braces out there already show that, heh).
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome. Appreciate the updates!
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've considered shapeways, but as you said, I don't want them to be cost prohibitive. I'll look into it further, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance of you offering them through a 3rd party like Shapeways? GeePlate ran most of their new designs through them. Or would the cost become prohibitive?

I've considered shapeways, but as you said, I don't want them to be cost prohibitive. I'll look into it further, though.
Just wanted to bring it back up. $40 is very reasonable with the wait, but $70-100 wouldn't be unreasonable with being instantly orderable. Also, this opens you up to offering more volume and outside the site. Could bring in funds for any machine upgrades you wanted, as well as sourcing filament despite the shortage
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just wanted to bring it back up. $40 is very reasonable with the wait, but $70-100 wouldn't be unreasonable with being instantly orderable. Also, this opens you up to offering more volume and outside the site. Could bring in funds for any machine upgrades you wanted, as well as sourcing filament despite the shortage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance of you offering them through a 3rd party like Shapeways? GeePlate ran most of their new designs through them. Or would the cost become prohibitive?

Agree on all !!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m flattered, and I may bump up the price a bit soon as I plan to get the internal pieces for the stock so I can ship them assembled, but I don’t want to be cost prohibitive in the future. At the moment, for the cash these are the best braces available, and that’s not just me tooting my own horn, the average price for most adjustable braces seems to be around $100~. My main ‘competitor’ is the Shockwave Blade, but that brace requires a special buffer tube, and mine works on the standard carbine-length ones.
Still, I’m grateful for the compliments! My new printer, teething issues aside, is creating quite excellent prints, and if I can get a good set up for painting them semi-glossy black and get the internal bits... I feel like my braces would be quite hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#21]
How a bigger company hasn't jumped on it with an offer just blows my mind.

Were I one of those brace makers, I'd have made you an offer months ago.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How a bigger company hasn't jumped on it with an offer just blows my mind.

Were I one of those brace makers, I'd have made you an offer months ago.

View Quote
Exactly...he'd better patent that brace before one of the big boys pounce.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually tried to.
Turns out patents are based more on visuals than actual use, and because this LOOKS like an original prior art... can’t patent it.

However, if I design a new brace similar to this one but visually distinct and patent THAT, I think just out of proximity that’ll protect this one. But I dunno, I’m not a patent lawyer although I did talk to one in-depth for about two hours.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I actually tried to.
Turns out patents are based more on visuals than actual use, and because this LOOKS like an original prior art... can't patent it.

However, if I design a new brace similar to this one but visually distinct and patent THAT, I think just out of proximity that'll protect this one. But I dunno, I'm not a patent lawyer although I did talk to one in-depth for about two hours.
View Quote
Well if someone does steal your design, be sure to let us know. I'm sure we'll be able to rustle some jimmies

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Pretty amazing, I'd be interested in getting one eventually. Any plans to make any other brace types? I think a brace inspired by the LMT/B5 SOPMOD would be a hit for cloners/non-cloners.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty amazing, I'd be interested in getting one eventually. Any plans to make any other brace types? I think a brace inspired by the LMT/B5 SOPMOD would be a hit for cloners/non-cloners.
View Quote

I’d definitely be interested in that !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Your inbox is full. Please add me to the list!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Honestly, I wouldn't mind putting $70 down just to hold a spot for one. These open so many doors for people cloning shorter guns that don't want to shell out the tax stamp and keep the pistol aspect of their guns. I'm seriously contemplating building a Mk18 if I got a spot for one of these.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Everyone, as I posted before I purchased two of these braces. I still have not completed my builds, but now my inbox is getting filled. People keep asking me how I got on the list. Saying “I’ll sign up for one” in this thread is not how it works either. Read back through the thread. Red McCloud walks you through the how to get on the list. I believe it’s on the 2nd or 3rd page. It was not super hard. He was super easy to work with.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I would prefer for people to stop asking about getting on the list for now because I can’t ship things even if I wanted to due to the Covid-19 pandemic. But in the meantime, I’m still working on getting more braces ready.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
What if I took an M&A parts CAR Stock and trimmed it down to be a stabilizing fin? any precedent there?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#33]
If it was originally made as a stock then no, you would not be able to make it a stabilizer. Once a stock, always a stock.

Edit: Actually not sure now, found a Reddit link about this but it's a year old

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/aq97e2/so_were_just_making_our_own_braces_now/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What if I took an M&A parts CAR Stock and trimmed it down to be a stabilizing fin? any precedent there?
View Quote

This is addressed on the first page.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had this one completed for a couple of months now, my first pistol:

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#37]
For me, these would completely eliminate the need to pin and weld my 14.5" barrels
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is addressed on the first page.
View Quote

Ahh thanks. I missed it.

Guess I'll have to wait to get my hands on one of these.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I was bored so I found a model of a SOPMOD stock and went to town on it.

First prototype is on my printer as I write this.

I already did up a version for my T91 using the proprietary buffer tube and stock hardware.

I can't thank @Red_McCloud enough for the inspiration to take on these kinds of projects.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/SOPMOD-Brace.jpg

I already did up a version for my T91 using the proprietary buffer tube and stock hardware.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CC92F066-BB3C-41A3-A9B6-0F9B751D2F92-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CF736FDA-5A3C-46E9-9DF6-5DE87FF7957B-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/69B084AD-BA7D-454D-93C3-C970E6AB6B0B-scaled.jpeg

I can't thank @Red_McCloud enough for the inspiration to take on these kinds of projects.
View Quote

Slick!  Tell me about the T91
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/SOPMOD-Brace.jpg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CC92F066-BB3C-41A3-A9B6-0F9B751D2F92-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CF736FDA-5A3C-46E9-9DF6-5DE87FF7957B-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/69B084AD-BA7D-454D-93C3-C970E6AB6B0B-scaled.jpeg

View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow!
I was just thinking to myself this afternoon “hmmm, a SOPMOD brace would be awesome for a MK18 clone”.
Nice work there!
I’m down with one of those!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m happy to have inspired others to try their own hand at 3D-printing their own self-designed parts! Additive manufacturing IS the future, and once Metal 3D printers become commonplace... things will change in many unexpected ways, I’ll say that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I made a m4 style one.

Also accepts the cheek rests, clip right on to the mounting slots.

Shockwave blade comparison

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Red McCloud,
I wish I could post a pic of the Pistol with your brace on it.  It came out awesome!  Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#46]
This is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I made a m4 style one.

https://i.imgur.com/eEdGW1Th.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UNOKWvCh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zojMXKwh.jpg?1
View Quote

That looks incredible! What kinda printer and filament did you use?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That looks incredible! What kinda printer and filament did you use?
View Quote

Thanks, I use NylonX, Nylon reinforced with Carbon Fiber strands. No visible layer lines, stronger and more durable than other materials.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I made a m4 style one.

https://i.imgur.com/UNOKWvCh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zojMXKwh.jpg?1
View Quote

Fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I made a m4 style one.

View Quote

Beautiful!
Sooooooo......... like, um, how much do you want for one of those?
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top