Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2018 7:22:38 PM EDT
Okay, total Retro newbie here ...

Maybe this is a stoopid question that's been answered before, but what would be the 'correct' sling for a 1965 'M16'/Retro AR model?

And links to a source(s) for one if you have them. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
A USGI web sling like you would find on a Garand would be perfect.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
http://www.fulton-armory.com/slingwebnewblack.aspx olive drab
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Few years ago I bought a lot of plastic M16 storage containers from gov liquidation. One of them was filled with NOS Garand slings. Wrappers dated from 60s and early 1970.  Wish I had kept them!

I may still have a couple floating around, I'll try and find them if you'd like one.  I opened one of the slings and the canvas was covered in some type of waxy type residue that smelled bad and was a pain to clean off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
When were the seat belt slings issued?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
1969ish. Seem to have only been made 68-70
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Few years ago I bought a lot of plastic M16 storage containers from gov liquidation. One of them was filled with NOS Garand slings. Wrappers dated from 60s and early 1970.  Wish I had kept them!

I may still have a couple floating around, I'll try and find them if you'd like one.  I opened one of the slings and the canvas was covered in some type of waxy type residue that smelled bad and was a pain to clean off.
View Quote
MRT
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably not correct , but I have a "seatbelt" sling on all (5) of my retros except the early 604 (M1 web) and the 653 (improvised equipment strap). I just love the salty look it gives the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I used one of these on a recent build...
https://www.ammogarand.com/amm1gaodcowe.html
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Great input! Thanks, guys.

Yeah, my Retro is an early look, about 1964-'65-ish. Forget which model designation it would pair with ...  No buttstock trap for kit;  no forward-assist;  3-prong FH.

I've got a couple of old GI Garand slings in a box, so I'll use one of those.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top