User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 27
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RetroJaxGuy:
Postman brought some goodies today. Finally received my shipment of parts from Numrich which included the proper screws for the buttplate, the stamped Thompson sling swivel, screws that go with it, and the shell lifter screw I was missing.

http://i.imgur.com/TqJ7zewh.jpg

Next up is to make the front washer sling swivel. Already have an idea of how I'm going to do it in mind. If it turns out well I'd be happy to make one for anyone else that'd want one, here's looking at you dsbock.
View Quote

We'll want to see pics of the finished result and how you did it, of course.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget to silver solder one of these bases on to your cut down Remington 11 barrel

Remington raised front sight base for shotguns

Keeps you to the original point of aim.  I tried cutting my Remington model 11 with just a bead and it was off  and added this  and it was back to normal.

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RetroJaxGuy:
The original Model 11 riot guns had a sling swivel that was screwed right into the magazine tube cap. I don't want to permanently alter mine seeing as they're nigh impossible to find.
View Quote
If they use the same thread pattern as the Browning Auto 5, Brownells has a few magazine tube caps in stock both with and without the swivel.

I may be ordering one soon along with the friction ring parts.

David
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dsbock:
If they use the same thread pattern as the Browning Auto 5, Brownells has a few magazine tube caps in stock both with and without the swivel.

I may be ordering one soon along with the friction ring parts.

David
View Quote

The Remington 11 has the same magazine threads as the 870/1100.
Perhaps one of their magazine tube caps will work?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ServiceGun:

View Quote

Yes the thread pattern is the same as 870/1100, in fact you can use factory 870 extensions on the 11 and the Savage 720, 745 series as well.  I just checked my 11 and Savage today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

Yes the thread pattern is the same as 870/1100, in fact you can use factory 870 extensions on the 11 and the Savage 720, 745 series as well.  I just checked my 11 and Savage today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServiceGun:

Good to know.  Thanks for checking that.

David
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cherenkov] [#7]
This thread needs more pics!

Savage - Stevens Shotguns in my collection  (Note I mounted the swivel on the mag cap on the auto):

And The Winchesters 1887 and Trench are IAC copies.

Remingtons Model 10, 11 and 31

Ithaca DS Police and Remington 870 Police
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you think this shotgun is legit ?
Looks phony to me but I'm far from an expert. For one thing, I don't think they ever made a Model 67 in Trench Gun style, for another GHD was a WW II inspector, not VN era

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618208534

http://www.goordnance.army.mil/hof/1990/1996/drewry.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bondo:
Do you think this shotgun is legit ?
Looks phony to me but I'm far from an expert. For one thing, I don't think they ever made a Model 67 in Trench Gun style, for another GHD was a WW II inspector, not VN era

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618208534

http://www.goordnance.army.mil/hof/1990/1996/drewry.html
View Quote

I'm going with phony too.  You're right about the inspector mark.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Somebody should prolly call the guy out on it. Somebody is going to pay a lot of money for that , but I guess they should do their homework first.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

I'm going with phony too.  You're right about the inspector mark.
View Quote

Looks like a faux trench - Although I do like the looks of the 67 with the Heat Shield - Why didn't I think of that?  Certainly makes the 67/77 series look better even though I don't think they were ever factory outfitted in that config.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally received replacement recoil parts for my 1920 vintage Model 11 Remington.  Brownells was out of the recoil spring for a while.  I now have a new recoil spring, friction piece, friction spring, and friction ring for my shotgun.  Actually, I got two of each since I also have a Savage 720.

Even better, while I was getting everything put together (thanks to Pat Sweeney for the proper order of friction ring assembly), my wife brought me a bowl with left over melted chocolate from the chocolate covered strawberries she made for dessert.  This is after making cocktail sauce for the shrimp appetizer.  She's making steak with baked potatoes for dinner.  If I hadn't already gotten her to marry me, I'd propose again.

Next on the project list is shortening the barrel and moving the front sight to the new muzzle.  After that sling swivels, metal clean up, and re-finishing.

It's good to have a winter project.

David
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread needs more pics!

Savage - Stevens Shotguns in my collection  (Note I mounted the swivel on the mag cap on the auto):
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/72b89d25-293e-4115-82d2-0640f160dced_zpsgv4cqaqm.jpg

And The Winchesters 1887 and Trench are IAC copies.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN3662_zps0pcpzlv6.jpg

Remingtons Model 10, 11 and 31
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/7fb2fed2-9eb4-47e6-a4f5-52bce7cb1c03_zpshnac7mav.jpg

Ithaca DS Police and Remington 870 Police
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/3d203b22-add9-4e2d-b316-a093dbbbd8a6_zps4qz3dlnp.jpg
View Quote

OOOOHH! I always wanted that over folder Remington police stock and shotgun.  I have seen a few but didn't want to spend $100 for the stock.  Still very cool.  How is it in practical use?  I tried a Mossberg 590 and a heavy over folder POS.  Hated both and sold both. Only shotgun I ever sold.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

OOOOHH! I always wanted that over folder Remington police stock and shotgun.  I have seen a few but didn't want to spend $100 for the stock.  Still very cool.  How is it in practical use?  I tried a Mossberg 590 and a heavy over folder POS.  Hated both and sold both. Only shotgun I ever sold.
View Quote

Its actually not bad to shoot with 2 3/4 loads - I normally use Remington and Suprema buck as they are cheap and not too stout.   3" Buck loads are a little more stout in the metal stock.   Surprisingly, its not uncomfortable as other stocks,  but Cheek weld sucks in the cold though - its metal.  However, it is not as comfortable as a fixed stock.  I have a spare Police Walnut set for this gun as well.  Shooting from the grip (stock collapsed) isn't practical but have used it just for fun shooting it that way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:
View Quote

Okay, where's the rest of it???
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DBL-TAPER] [#17]
looks like mine             ( wops I see mins CYL and the other is RIOT )

couple others

not quite done still needs the big parts parked the front  sling swivel changed out and another but pad fitted that ones not as wide as the stock I do have a NOS one to use I think I like the sling on it not sure what it is its extra long with no clip m-60 ?

and an oldie with US marking it was shortened wean I got it 

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice stuff in here guys.

Here are mine:

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Its actually not bad to shoot with 2 3/4 loads - I normally use Remington and Suprema buck as they are cheap and not too stout.   3" Buck loads are a little more stout in the metal stock.   Surprisingly, its not uncomfortable as other stocks,  but Cheek weld sucks in the cold though - its metal.  However, it is not as comfortable as a fixed stock.  I have a spare Police Walnut set for this gun as well.  Shooting from the grip (stock collapsed) isn't practical but have used it just for fun shooting it that way.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  It sure looks COOL!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody know what the proper stock screw for a Stevens 77E G.I. stock?  I'm working on a clone and need the right length stock screw.  The original stock screw that was attached to my 67F is about an inch too long.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#21]
not sure I had to cut down the the outside of a washer to fit in my USGI stock the aluminium stock  civilian screw was just a little long to tighten up on the GI stock not at home or Id look
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Finally finished with my Stevens 77E clone.....still need to parkarize (along with the 1200's barrel and action bars).....but happy with the results thus far......

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rico:
Finally finished with my Stevens 77E clone.....still need to parkarize (along with the 1200's barrel and action bars).....but happy with the results thus far......
View Quote

You need to acquire a USGI handguard and stock for the M1200, check Ebay or gunbroker.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#24]
My issue 1200 had the same stock and forearm, along with several others while in Kosovo.....

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Rico, great collection.  That Ithaca has me drooling!  I have 2 but they are hunting shotguns.  I missed an oiled stock, parkerized, no field scene reciver shotgun for 180 like new at a pawn shop 10 years ago.  I hate passing up deals when I know I will regret it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cda97:

You need to acquire a USGI handguard and stock for the M1200, check Ebay or gunbroker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cda97:
Originally Posted By rico:

Dupage Trading, click on rifle stocks.  You're welcome.

Also, when you send your slide tube and bbl, you need to disassemble your bolt/carrier and have them done too.  I got super lucky and got two sets(bolt and carrier, nos) on ebay recently.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smitty_MT] [#27]
I turned my Coast to Coast Model 267 into a Stevens 77E clone.  Found a few sling parts on Numrich, stock on Sarco and used regular M16 sling loops (couldn't get the right size).  I dyed the pump with iron acetate and tea, finishing it of with several coats of linseed oil.  Don't know if I want to parkerize it or not and the barrel had been chopped to 18.5" but still looks good, fun project.  Only "before" picture I could find was while it was on display at a car show in a patrol car.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Smitty_MT:
I turned my Coast to Coast Model 267 into a Stevens 77E clone.  Found a few sling parts on Numrich, stock on Sarco and used regular M16 sling loops (couldn't get the right size).  I dyed the pump with iron acetate and tea, finishing it of with several coats of linseed oil.  Don't know if I want to parkerize it or not and the barrel had been chopped to 18.5" but still looks good, fun project.  Only "before" picture I could find was while it was on display at a car show in a patrol car.

http://i.imgur.com/9DZAA0C.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/6NudwrY.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/y1vQLz7.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice build, Smitty.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Some great looking shotguns gentleman,  Time to get back on mine, thanks for the inspiration.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up a Springfield 67F in really nice condition a few days ago.  Pics coming shortly(I'm in the middle of moving).
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#32]
If you dig around there a little, they also have 12-ga. barrel bands and band screws.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#33]
If I am not mistaken I have a stock for a 77E laying around somewhere with the sling swivel, it has no buttplate on it. It came from one of those sites selling those many years ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#34]
AKGUY;

If no one has taken you up on it yet, that is the last part of my build I need! (Other than finish work, that is)

IM inbound!

-Dane
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Dane,

Is it the stock you need or the swivel?  I bought the stock from AKGuy, but I only bought it for the swivel.  If you need the stock, shoot me an email or IM, becuase I don't need it.

John Thomas

Originally Posted By DANE78:
AKGUY;

If no one has taken you up on it yet, that is the last part of my build I need! (Other than finish work, that is)

IM inbound!

-Dane
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:10:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DANE78:
AKGUY;

IM inbound!

-Dane
View Quote
Yeah, the guy that posted below you already got it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Dane,

Is it the stock you need or the swivel? I bought the stock from AKGuy, but I only bought it for the swivel. If you need the stock, shoot me an email or IM, becuase I don't need it.

John Thomas
View Quote
Hi John;

I was planning on using the original stock to keep the LOP. I really just need the rear swivel at this point. I have a gun show grab bag swivel off of something that I was thinking of using until i could find a more correct one, but it wont match the front swivel. AK guy thinks he may have another one though.  Thanks!

-Dane
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#38]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Jarheads at Con Thien in 1967; photo by David Douglas Duncan, from a gallery of his pics hosted by University of Texas.

I'll be putting up some links to his other Viet Nam work in the real deal thread shortly.

Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#40]

I recentlypicked up this High Standard for next to nothing. Undocumented story is that it was a police issue shotgun in the rural town of Pottersville MI. I cannot find an owners/disasembly manual anywhere...any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#42]
picked up a nother one so has entry one come up with a source for sling swivels yet I have a but pad and I think I will just cut down one of my civilian stocks and live with the for-grip

unlike my other one this one has the right slide reseal

the first one

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1365180

I just received two of these ^^ reproduction shotshell pouches from Numrich  product #: 1365180 , these are very nice repros. The quality is on par with vintage G.I. webbing. I have been wanting a few more for a while and took a chance on these. Glad I did.

$15.60 is a hell of a lot cheaper than I see the Vietnam dated ones listed for on E-pay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vietnam+shotgun+pouch&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=us+shotgun+pouch
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I like Gunwriters Model 97 project and always wanted to do something similar. I just couldn't find the right Model 97 in the right condition and price. But instead I just bought a beater 12 gauge Winchester Model 12 from my brother in-law for $125. It was a bag of parts. He bought it from a gunshop that I used to work for. They said the magazine tube was bulged. The stock is cracked right behind the frame and the corn cob forend has a light crack.

I took it and a Pachmayr Sporting Clays recoil pad and a Hi Viz low tactical front sight to Doug Jones of Accu Rail fame. I had him shorten the stock a bit and mount the pad. He cut the barrel down to 18.25" and mounted the sight. Doug put it all back together. Fortunately the mag tube is fine. Unfortunately it won't cycle shells. He's working on that now.

I was trying to keep it retro but I have a Hi Viz high sight on my 870 and love it so I compromised a bit and went tacticool with the sight.

Only thing left to do is put sling swivels on it and have it Parkerized.

If you are in the Detroit area and are looking for a great gunsmith that does really nice work and won't beat you up on the price go see Doug Jones in Rochester Hills.

He built a nice FEG Hi Power for me and now I am thinking about having him build me that 1903A3K scout carbine for me that I have had in the back of my mind forever.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Alright so I've got no pump or semi shotguns. Any particular retro shotguns you guys could recommend on the cheap to get started?

I passed up an Auto 5/Model 11 a few years ago when my friend had a trunk full (literally) and regret it every day since. Maybe I start there?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Old thread but I just missed these:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/210181
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/210182

Now, half of us have been trying to find or make that bayonet lug. Damn, I hate not having e-mail excess at work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coctailer] [#49]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 303_enfield:
Old thread but I just missed these:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/210181
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/210182

Now, half of us have been trying to find or make that bayonet lug. Damn, I hate not having e-mail excess at work.
View Quote

Have mercy! The bayo lug goes for that much or more by itself, when it can be found.
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top