Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2020 7:49:07 PM EDT
I know there is a recent thread on two beautiful Original M79’s, but I don’t want to hijack it, so I thought I would post this separately.  While I am waiting for my “real” M79’s I thought it would be nice to have a display piece.  I started with a “Spikes Tactical” 37mm flare launcher.  Then I added a much more realistic front sight, an Original folding trigger guard, and an Original stock and hand guard.  Then I had it engraved with correct Vietnam markings.  I’m into it for less than $1000, and it will be great for displays and shooting flares on the 4th of July and New Years.  Next I’m going to try to build an XM148 if I can find an Original sight and a few small parts.  I have an original hand guard and grip, and I have already figured out how to make a barrel out of an M203 barrel. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright. That tears it. I am building one of those!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you please explain more the parts you got and/or where you got them. Very interested in building one of these.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
@commandofuzz    I apologize for not responding with details sooner.  First, the original wooden stocks are hard to find, but do pop up occasionally at gun shows.  Original wooden forearms can be found on Gun Broker and eBay for $15 to $20.  You can also find original plastic stocks for $25 to $40.  As far as the “better” rear sight assembly and folding trigger guard, you can purchase a “King Arms” airsoft M79 sold by “Evike” and others.  You can swap rear sights, and the Spikes Tactical fixed trigger guard, for the sight and folding trigger guard on the airsoft.  Then you can sell the airsoft for what you have in it (or a little less)  so the upgraded parts won’t cost you anything (or just a little bit if you sell it for less than you paid).  I had our own braceman do the engraving for me off of a close up photo of an original. That’s all you need to do.  There are lots of 37mm rounds this will fire (actually a better selection than legal 40mm rounds), and adapters to shoot the readily available 26.5mm rounds are available as well. If you do decide to do this project, contact me and I can probably save you $50 on the Spikes Tactical launcher.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
This is killer! I'd love to repro an M79 some day.

What kinda rounds can you shoot out of the 37MM?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is killer! I'd love to repro an M79 some day.

What kinda rounds can you shoot out of the 37MM?
View Quote

Smoke (all colors), smoke streamers, parachute flares, arial burst, star shells, flares, and assorted fireworks rounds.  It’s a real hoot
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Any good sources for either 37mm or 26.5mm rounds? I’m looking hard at the 9” rail-mounted launcher from Spikes right now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any good sources for either 37mm or 26.5mm rounds? I’m looking hard at the 9” rail-mounted launcher from Spikes right now.
View Quote

There is a fireworks company selling 37mm rounds on GB built using reloadable anodized aluminum casings that are really high quality
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome! I’m thinking we need some weapon-mounted fireworks in the neighborhood this 4th of July
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did this require any kind of NFA paperwork?
View Quote

No, it is a 37mm FLARE launcher, and it comes with a letter from the ATF stating that fact, and that it does NOT require any paperwork
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]
That's really cool, I need one of those.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
M16indiana,

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. This sounds like a fun project. I have built a few semi autos from parts kits but, this one looks like a blast!!!! No pun intended.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit this RULES!!!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top