Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2018 4:58:34 AM EDT
Since the highly regarded Braceman is no longer engraving 80% receivers, is there anybody else doing this type of work that equals Braceman's previous work?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Orion arms

Ryan is top notch and the communication threw the whole process was outstanding I never waited more then 24 hours for a response from him. Check out his website for his work, he has a link titled reproductions that has alot of the retro work he does
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Orion arms

Ryan is top notch and the communication threw the whole process was outstanding I never waited more then 24 hours for a response from him. Check out his website for his work, he has a link titled reproductions that has alot of the retro work he does
View Quote
Does not look like they do the pony logo, or will they upon request.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag of info.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
No he does not do the pony logo because of legal copyright issues
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Randy Spade can provide any markings on an 80% lower. Here is the FN he did for me. He'll sell you one with the markings you want or he can engrave your 80% so long it's still only 80%. He is a good guy who does great work.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Randy Spade can provide any markings on an 80% lower. Here is the FN he did for me. He'll sell you one with the markings you want or he can engrave your 80% so long it's still only 80%. He is a good guy who does great work.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66729/2018-12-03_20_58_02_jpg-760083.JPG
View Quote
Do you have Randy's contact information?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you have Randy's contact information?
View Quote
Sure, here it is: [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No he does not do the pony logo because of legal copyright issues but that was fine with me because I wasnt trying to pass a nodak spud lower off as a colt
View Quote
That is part of the engraving on these replica rifles most people here are looking for, & I doubt anybody is trying to pass them off as a Colt. Any engraver can put "Property of US Govt." on a lower.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No he does not do the pony logo because of legal copyright issues but that was fine with me because I wasnt trying to pass a nodak spud lower off as a colt
View Quote
I’m baffled by that logic.

I don’t think anybody is trying to pass something of as something it’s not. People are trying to do the most accurate clone they can do and that’s why they spend money for correct retro parts, do 80%ers, have lowers reprofiled tin A1 spec etc.

The engraving is somewhat key to many and it’s a shame as it’s not like Colt is being harmed by somebody engraving their logo on a receiver. They don’t offer what people are asking for and it’s not like anybody is going to think your 80% receiver is the illusive semi auto only XM16E1 or something.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The engraving is somewhat key to many and it’s a shame as it’s not like Colt is being harmed by somebody engraving their logo on a receiver. They don’t offer what people are asking for and it’s not like anybody is going to think your 80% receiver is the illusive semi auto only XM16E1 or something.
View Quote
I hate to side with the lawyers, but I would say that Colt could actually make a legitimate argument that people engraving 80% lowers with their logo are impacting their business, even if only in a small way. The direct example is the new LE6920 SOCOM rifle that’s marked “PROPERTY OF US GOVT” with the correct Colt logo and M4A1 model designation. However, prior to that, people who wanted to clone an M4A1 would just buy a regular SOCOM model and live with the incorrect markings, or they could have an 80% lower engraved - meaning they weren’t buying a Colt rifle or lower as a starting point. Going back further, before 80% lowers were a thing, how were people cloning retro rifles? I would guess they were buying Colt lowers in many cases, so they could have a Colt, even if it wasn’t marked correct. Colt could probably make a decent argument that people who would have otherwise bought a Colt lower for their build are having 80% lowers engraved instead. It may not be serious harm to Colt’s business, but it could legally be financial harm, nonetheless.

I’ve been wondering if maybe Braceman was threatened with legal action in some way, which might have led to him getting out of the engraving business. I think the 80% clone engravings look fantastic, but I can also see why manufacturers might not take kindly to it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#11]
mpdphil,

Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hate to side with the lawyers, but I would say that Colt could actually make a legitimate argument that people engraving 80% lowers with their logo are impacting their business, even if only in a small way. The direct example is the new LE6920 SOCOM rifle that’s marked “PROPERTY OF US GOVT” with the correct Colt logo and M4A1 model designation. However, prior to that, people who wanted to clone an M4A1 would just buy a regular SOCOM model and live with the incorrect markings, or they could have an 80% lower engraved - meaning they weren’t buying a Colt rifle or lower as a starting point. Going back further, before 80% lowers were a thing, how were people cloning retro rifles? I would guess they were buying Colt lowers in many cases, so they could have a Colt, even if it wasn’t marked correct. Colt could probably make a decent argument that people who would have otherwise bought a Colt lower for their build are having 80% lowers engraved instead. It may not be serious harm to Colt’s business, but it could legally be financial harm, nonetheless.

I’ve been wondering if maybe Braceman was threatened with legal action in some way, which might have led to him getting out of the engraving business. I think the 80% clone engravings look fantastic, but I can also see why manufacturers might not take kindly to it.
View Quote
Lawyers love "Cease & Desist" letters.  You can engrave anything you want for personal use, but as soon as you offer a service for others, than you ARE infringing on the copyright holder, IF they want to push the point.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone recommend someone for Diemaco C7 clone?  Bummed to hear Braceman no longer doing them....his C7 clone work was on point
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since the highly regarded Braceman is no longer engraving 80% receivers, is there anybody else doing this type of work that equals Braceman's previous work?

Thank you!!
View Quote
Any reason why he stopped?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any reason why he stopped?
View Quote
Curious as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone been in contact with Randy at Vader Tactical lately.  I set him an email about 10 days ago with no reply.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anyone been in contact with Randy at Vader Tactical lately.  I set him an email about 10 days ago with no reply.
View Quote
I'm here working away. I have had a few people say they have sent email that I didn't get but every test I have tried comes through just fine. I'm not sure what's up but clearly some emails are not getting through???

If [email protected] doesn't work try [email protected]

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm here working away. I have had a few people say they have sent email that I didn't get but every test I have tried comes through just fine. I'm not sure what's up but clearly some emails are not getting through???

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries.  I just sent one to the hotmail address.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Colt should sell 80% lowers....  might get them out of chapter 11... lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#22]
@bergunx

Joe at Industrial Engraving Inc did this one for my Colt Commando. Great guy, diligent in his communication and professionalism.

Here is a link to their website. This link is on the Nodak Spud website.

Retro engraving

Edit: they are a FFL too. This was a stripped lower, not an 80%. I have an email in to him right now asking about Colt engraving on a 9mm DOE replica I am collecting parts for.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top