Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 8:24:24 AM EDT
I'm replacing a screw on flash suppressor on my AR15 (which has a 16" barrel/ no pins. etc) but it's been put on with Loctite Red -- so, what is the best way to remove the old one without any damage?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clamp the bbl in a vice using barrel blocks and heat the MD with a torch.  Warm it, not melt it.

Eta: don't use loctite on reinstall.  
View Quote
Correct, and note Tig said barrel, not upper receiver. I might add, get the muzzle end of the barrel (if you don't have a barrel vise) as close to the jaws as possible, you'll get more bang for your (torque)buck. The heat from a propane torch is more than enough, and you don't need to heat it to cherry red. In my experience, Locktite red breaks with only moderate heat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  I'm assuming that left is loosie!?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Great!! Thanks again.  Didn't have a torch, so stood the barrel end first in boiling water for about 2 minutes -- it came off, kinda' hard but success!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good deal.

I'd not have thought of boiling water.  
View Quote
Me neither but if it was red loctite I doubt 212 degrees did much of anything to it as red is resistant north of 400.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I was told it was red loctite, I'm happy I didn't know about it's temp limits though -- never would have tried it if I did but end result it came off!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top