Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 3:41:08 AM EDT
I have a build that i started from scratch. My plan was to use a midlength magpul moe handguard and a yankee hill gas block. I thought when i had the two in my hands it would make sense how the yankee hill gas block would fit into the handguard but it looks like i still need an A2 style cap for the handguard to lock into. Can anyone verify this?

Here is the gas block I have. YHM-9836A
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003281669/yankee-hill-machine-gas-block-single-picatinny-rail-with-bayonet-lug-and-sling-swivel-ar-15-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

Here is the handguard I have. Magpul MOE
https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-moe-m-lok-handguard-mid-length-flat-dark-earth-mag426-fde

I dont have a barrel yet but it will be a midlength barrel.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you need a cap behind the gas block. Those just replace the standard handguards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Your "conventional" A2 Front Sight Base had a forward handguard retainer (Cap) sandwiched between the barrel gas mount shoulder and the back of the FSB.

If you go to the YHM gas block, you will still need a forward handguard retainer (Cap) to use the MOE (or any other "conventional / standard / drop in" handguards).

Note the forward handguard retainers come in either triangle LINK - Triangle

or

round.  Link - Round

Also, you if you plan to run back up sights, you will need a Gas Block Height Front BUS that is metal (as poly / plastic will melt from the temperature)
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top