Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
Building wife's rifle.  There is a crappy looking rack number in white paint on the buttstock.  Looks like a 5 year old kid painted it on. Not a cool rack number by any stretch.  I want to remove this but don't want to damage the stock at all. I don't think the stock is painted, but hard to tell with these surplus rifles.  It is one of the  M16A1 kits from centerfire.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Building wife's rifle.  There is a crappy looking rack number in white paint on the buttstock.  Looks like a 5 year old kid painted it on. Not a cool rack number by any stretch.  I want to remove this but don't want to damage the stock at all. I don't think the stock is painted, but hard to tell with these surplus rifles.  It is one of the  M16A1 kits from centerfire.  Any recommendations?
View Quote

I have had great luck with “Goof-Off” taking them right off with no damage to the stock
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Fast Enamel Reducer 3812 available at auto paint supply.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Acetone
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure I would try acetone, its great for degreasing wood but it dissolves plastics

Try WD-40 and fine steel wool. Or paint over it
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
"crappy looking"
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure I would try acetone, its great for degreasing wood but it dissolves plastics

Try WD-40 and fine steel wool. Or paint over it
View Quote

I have cleaned hundreds of USGI type D and E stocks, A1 grips and Handguards with acetone. It does not affect phenolic resin.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Goof Off all the way
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have cleaned hundreds of USGI type D and E stocks, A1 grips and Handguards with acetone. It does not affect phenolic resin.
View Quote
This.

GOOF OFF will probably leave behind a semi-permanent "wet spot".
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This.

GOOF OFF will probably leave behind a semi-permanent "wet spot".
View Quote

It doesn’t. I have used it for this very purpose
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It doesn’t. I have used it for this very purpose
View Quote

Makes sense as the new Goof Off formula is acetone-based. Their old formula was a petroleum distillate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Makes sense as the new Goof Off formula is acetone-based. Their old formula was a petroleum distillate.
View Quote

I bought a lot of used Pmags that all had paint marker on them. Goof Off worked great and left no residue. I am sure acetone is cheaper and it will perfect for this, but I already had the Goof Off on hand. It smells pretty harsh, so use it outside of course
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wasn't sure, acetone does dissolve some types of phenolic resin though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top