Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2018 10:46:05 AM EDT
Hope this is the right place to ask...

I picked up a used 15-22.  The previous owner had painted a number of the “indents” pink.  I was actually able to get in with a knife and remove it all except for the “fire” and “safe” markings on the lower.  They are too thin to get in there.

Since the lower is polymer I don’t want to just go at it with chemicals since I don’t know what they would do.  Anyone have any suggestions for a solvent that would remove the paint and be safe for the lower?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Try WD-40 and a stiff plastic brush like the small end of a gun-cleaning brush. Too many chemicals out there advertised as safe for all kinds of "plastics" which turn out to be not so safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Citri-Strip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'll try the WD40 first since I have some of that laying around.  I'll report back how things go.  Appreciate y'all's help.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I use acetone on plastic golf cart bodies to remove paint transfer and scuffs. I don't know if it would harm your lower or not though. If the WD doesn't work maybe you could try a spot of acetone inside the magwell before trying it on the outside.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be painstaking but I would try dipping a straight pin in acetone and gently working the tip of the pin in the grooves.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Graffiti remover. It's made to remove paint without damaging what's underneath.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So I tried WD40 and it didn't do much.

I went into Lowe's to look into the Graffiti remover.  All I could find was Goof's brand for that.  I read the back and it said not to use on plastic.

I was going to try the acetone but Lowe's only had it in a rather large container.  Way more than I need.

I tried to send an email to S&W but their site wouldn't recognize my phone number.  I'm going to give them a call in the next day or two and see if they can help me out.

If I don't get any help from them I'll try some of the other things you guys have mentioned.  I just don't want to mess up the rifle.  I'll report back what I find out.

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used Citristrip on numerous types/brands of polymer (pistol grips/VFGs and the like) without any ill effects. You should be completely fine using Citristrip. If you're still concerned, just try a small test spot in an out of the way area.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the citristrip. I used it on an AR that was painted, including all plastic furniture, and had no issues.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Any idea what kind of paint was used? Did the stuff you’ve gotten off already come off pretty easy?
If so try easy off oven cleaner. Spray a little on a rag and wipe it somewhere not noticeable ( like in side the mag well)in case it reacts with your polymer.
If you don’t notice anything after a minute or two then spray some one the paint you’re trying to remove.
Let it sit a few minutes and scrub it with a toothbrush. If it doesn’t come off the spray and let it sit again. Repeat until it comes off.
Oven cleaner sounds crazy but I’ve used it at least a hundred times to get paint off of plastics that I didn’t want to use acetone or lacquer thinner on.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Try brake fluid.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top