Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/10/2021 3:06:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 5:39:49 PM EST by 77Bronc]
I caought some flack here some time back about using boiling water to remove a FH that had been installed with Rockset.

A few years ago, I called Flexbar in NY and they said boiling water is one of the methods to remove Rockset...

Well I did that and it worked real good.  I posted this and a lot of pushback comments

Well this morning I had to remove a factory installed FH on a KAC Mod 2 and KAC uses Rockset and a lot of it.   I torqued down the 3/4" wrench until I thought I was going to do some damage (well maybe not that much), but it felt that way, way more force than a standard FH install: why no boiling water this time, I wanted to see just how hard it is and to see if boiling water is indeed the way to go

I hung the upper in the garage and the end of the barrel in a tin can and added some boiling water and let it sit for about 25 minutes.   Took down the upper, installed the upper on a Knightstick and "pop" came right off with about 1/5 of the effort I used earlier....

So I am convienced boiling water is the solution.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:11:26 PM EST
Agreed
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:17:06 PM EST
I get the same result with room temp water. Although I usually let it soak overnight.
I'll try the boiling water next time and save the wait time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:25:39 PM EST
I didn't know that there was any other way. What's the alternatives?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:54:46 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By msgriff:
I didn't know that there was any other way. What's the alternatives?
View Quote

There is not in my opinion, but when I posted this some time back, got a lot of comments that water does not do anything to help and other comments that I was "off base"

I think the hot water gets into the thread area easier....but I can see where what @Muricha does will also be effective

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:04:30 PM EST
I don't want to mislead anyone. I've honestly always (50+) times just stood the barrel on end in enough water to cover the threads plus a little extra and let soak overnight.
For all I know it may work in 10 minutes with any temp or it takes boiling water to do it quicker.

I don't have a reaction rod so I use leather covers on my bench vice. That requires a pretty good penetration of the water, therefore my assumption longer was better.

I typically assume tidbits I learn in this forum as 'good info' so I'll try the boiling water method next time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:11:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Muricha:
I get the same result with room temp water. Although I usually let it soak overnight.
I'll try the boiling water next time and save the wait time.
View Quote

This worked for me also.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:12:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 5:13:45 PM EST by SouthernGunHand]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:15:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:18:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I caought some flack here some time back about using boiling water to remove a FH that had been installed with Rockset.

View Quote
That don't make no sense, but I guess people trying to sound authoritative on topics they're clueless about isn't super uncommon. Boiling water is the way.

I've done it 3-4x now, and 10" in the water is all it takes. Might even need less,but I've always given it about 10".
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:36:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2021 5:38:42 PM EST by 77Bronc]
This is the final result

Installed a KAC 762 FH with 1/2” threads so I can use my CRS suppressor on the rifle.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:12:25 AM EST
OP, now you have gained from this experience. Never listen to those idiots who disagree with the manufacturer's solution of freeing Rocksett with hot water.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:47:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2021 10:48:35 AM EST by wildearp]
I use a vacuum insulated coffee cup to keep the water hot longer.

I usually soak about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:45:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By logan10:
OP, now you have gained from this experience. Never listen to those idiots who disagree with the manufacturer's solution of freeing Rocksett with hot water.
View Quote

@logan10

Agree....

Also, your team did some whoop ass last night....LSU grad here, but Saban fan here and he deserved it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:33:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

@logan10

Agree....

Also, your team did some whoop ass last night....LSU grad here, but Saban fan here and he deserved it.

View Quote

LOL. Thanks. They did well. Saban is something else. Saw a pic of him last night when with LSU. Just a kid. Coach "O" is pretty damn good imo. Just needs more personnel. Hope he gets a chance to recruit vs being fired. This "what did you do for me 5 minutes ago" is bs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:41:28 PM EST
Ive always used a heat gun.  Never heard the boiling water trick.  

OP, did you try heat?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:45:20 PM EST
I usually put it in the ultrasonic bath with the heater on and let it sit for about 30min or so.

I've taken off about a dozen like that and always works great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:46:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/28/2021 1:48:18 PM EST by drfroglegs]
Originally Posted By Holdemdown:
Ive always used a heat gun.  Never heard the boiling water trick.  

OP, did you try heat?
View Quote

Rocksett is supposedly resistant to heat alone. That's the reason it's used rather than loctite. It's a ceramic that is not affected by heat but is somewhat soluble in water.

From the company website: The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more
and then forcibly remove the components.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:10:27 PM EST
I did not use heat, knowing it is resistant to heat.  The hot water did the trick.  I think the reason for hot water is it will penetrate easier.   I am sure cold water would have worked also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:38:44 PM EST
Good work OP...hot H20 for the win.  The compensator on my new-to-me Ruger Precision rifle seemed to welded on.  I tried heat with no luck.  Not wanting to get a breaker bar out, I tried soaking the muzzle end of the rifle in boiling water.  Shazam! Off it came with the simple turn of a wrench.
PSA...
Don’t use rock-set on carry gun comps.  I have a Parker Mountain Machine JTT comp on P365.  PMM supplied it with rock-set.  I noticed after a particularly warm stretch this summer that the compensator had become loosened.  I went online and noticed that PMM had switched from rock-set to red loc-tite or similar.  I guess sweat and oil did something to the interface.  It’s a mystery to me but after cleaning off the rock-set with hot water from the comp and barrel, I reattached it with 271 loctite.  I haven’t had any problems since.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:08:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By str8shuutr45:
Good work OP...hot H20 for the win.  The compensator on my new-to-me Ruger Precision rifle seemed to welded on.  I tried heat with no luck.  Not wanting to get a breaker bar out, I tried soaking the muzzle end of the rifle in boiling water.  Shazam! Off it came with the simple turn of a wrench.
PSA...
Don’t use rock-set on carry gun comps.  I have a Parker Mountain Machine JTT comp on P365.  PMM supplied it with rock-set.  I noticed after a particularly warm stretch this summer that the compensator had become loosened.  I went online and noticed that PMM had switched from rock-set to red loc-tite or similar.  I guess sweat and oil did something to the interface.  It’s a mystery to me but after cleaning off the rock-set with hot water from the comp and barrel, I reattached it with 271 loctite.  I haven’t had any problems since.
View Quote

@str8shuutr45

Great to hear about the success.....glad to help
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:29:28 PM EST
Thank you for the tip, OP.  I had to get a FH off of my AAC upper that had rockset on it.  It sounded like a round was fired when it broke free.  Granted, i didn’t use anything to heat it...

It boggles my mind as to why any manufacture would use that shit on a FH, damn well knowing that 90% of the people that buy the rifle/upper are going to change it out.
Top Top