Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2018 1:09:04 PM EDT
I’m trying to choose a handguard that will allow me to recess a sandman s (1.5” OD).

With that said I’d like to be able to remove it with relative ease in case I need to wrench on the suppressor, swap muzzle devices, gas block install etc.

I was about to pull the trigger on a KAC URX4 (10.75” long), but after looking at the install videos, eh..not really interested in pinning my block through the rail and crossing my fingers I never have a problem.

I have a Noveske NSR on another upper and its design is exactly what I want, but the ID is way too small.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You might look at the Seekins MCSR, which is held in place by 8 torx screws. I've heard the barrel nut is a pain to time, but the rail comes off easily.

Another option would be to go with an Aero Precision enhanced upper and handguard combination. The handguard bolts directly to the upper with 8 screws, I believe.

The other option, though I'm not sure about the ID, would be one of the srew-on free float tube styles, like Hogue offers.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
PRI Gen III.

The rear cap screws onto the handguard with a strap wrench and is easily loosened and removed.

ETA:  Also is constructed using carbon fiber, which has excellent thermal barrier qualities.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How much are you recessing and what caliber are you shooting? Heat will become an issue under an aluminum rail.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Seekins-MCSR-V2-10-Handguard-Barrel-nut-install/4-723847/

You heard correct, once you get it on it's a very nice handguard. I also confirmed with Seekins on the installation and the method of my install was exactly how they explained it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much are you recessing and what caliber are you shooting? Heat will become an issue under an aluminum rail.
View Quote
.300/8.25” barrel with ideally a 10-11” handguard. I’m not ashamed to admit it’s just because I like the look of it lol.

Like you said, though. The thermal conductivity with a 400*+ suppressor in close proximity is a concern. With the price of ammo, I’m not going to be doing frequent mag dumps.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top