Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2018 8:54:22 PM EDT
Considering getting a bushnell 1-4x, cabelas 1-4 or 1-6x, or a sig romeo 5. The romeo 5 comes up a little blurry but not super bad. Considering the blur from the red dots i saw, i was trying to find a sub 200 dollar red dot that would be super crisp or a 1-4 or 1-6 option. Please advise which of the 1-4 or 1-6 options are best.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought a lot of my Primary Arms Gen 2 1-6 w/ ACSS reticle. I understand the Gen 3s are even better.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Cabela's on sale for like $99 to throw in a beater loaner gun and was impressed for the money. Pretty clear glass and it holds zero.  Is not daylight bright though, you could use it indoors in hd role but I would go red dot all day for that role. The mount it comes with sucks but I just threw it in an Ap mount.

I would honestly go red dot and Primary arms AD model with the rotary knob would be my pick. They hold up really well for a $150 dot and have 50k hour battery life. If you are worried about a crisp dot because if astigmatism out something their new Cyclops prism site would be my pick
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the eye box on the Cabela’s models?   Looking for something that is rather forgiving.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
might not think of cheap but good, bought a tacticon  preditor red dot
for a 16'' build, I have a astigmatism and even the vortex crossfire has multi dots
I spent very little monies on this red dot and it is amazing, very clear dot
the owner / owners have given the plant that produces these red dots
their specs on what they wanted to be a nice budget optic THAT WORKS
lifetime warranty....
some other makers like PA do the same give specs to the r&d dept  production plant
to build them a quality optic...try one if it is not a clear dot get some corrective glasses
and send it back for a refund... try it they work...
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is the eye box on the Cabela’s models?   Looking for something that is rather forgiving.
View Quote
It is pretty good on 1x and 2x from what i remember.  I dont use it much.  I remember 4x was a little tight but usable.  I will take the gun out of the safe and give it a look through tonight after work and update this for you.  They have a return policy and lifetime warranty if there would be any issues
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The only "super crisp" red dots are holographics like the EOTech.  Anything else is going to have just a hint of blur or star like effect.  That's just the way red dots are.   In bright daylight they are much better, but in doors where lighting levels vary constantly, you're going to see a lot of splaying.  If that's not your cup of tea then go with an illuminated etched reticle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't buy a sub $200 LPV.  You won't be happy.

I have a Vortex SparcAR on my beater AR pistol.  It has seen a lot of honest use.  Bounced around in tractor cabs, behind the seat of a truck, etc.  Has held zero like a champ and while I don't leave it always on like you can with an Aimpoint, the battery life has been good.  Takes easy to source AAA and I have a couple spares in the grip of the gun for shit happens.

Red dots bloom if you turn them up too high.  It is less noticeable out in the sunlight, but in a house or in low light, you need to be more picky on what brightness level you have them at.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Why do these tiny variable scopes all weigh so much. I don't think I have seen one that weighs less than a pound.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the small variables weigh at least a pound.
One of them that weighs closer to a half pound, is the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x. It weighs 9.6 ounces, and can be had with the daylight bright green FireDot reticle.

For a red dot I like the Burris FastFire III.  I have several, and without mount they weigh less than one ounce.
But although the FF III dot's are fast, they lack at longer range. A little magnification can be nice, as long as it doesn't hinder your up close capabilities.

The Leupold Mark AR, when set to 1.5x and the dot is on, is quick, almost as quick as a dot like the RMR or FF III. But you can turn it up to 4x if needed, and having some BDC or ranging features built into the reticle is nice, something that simple red dot won't give you.

If the Primary Arms 1-6x has the quality and attention to detail that the PA 3x prism scope I just got has, it should be excellent.
I have mine on a Palmetto KS-47, and the PA scope I got has the ACSS reticle made for the 7.62 x 39.
Available Killflash, tethered caps, the excellent ACSS reticle, very sharp optic.
I've owned a couple ACOG's, and the PA Prism is close, for a fraction of the ACOG's price.
I know it's not a variable, and it weighs a pound, but I am liking the 3x Prism more and more.
I put an extra FF III I had up on the piece of rail the 3x has, just to see if I liked it, but I'm not sure it's needed. Up close, that big horseshoe is easy to pick up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a Vortex SparcAR on my beater AR pistol.  It has seen a lot of honest use.  Bounced around in tractor cabs, behind the seat of a truck, etc.  Has held zero like a champ and while I don't leave it always on like you can with an Aimpoint, the battery life has been good.  Takes easy to source AAA and I have a couple spares in the grip of the gun for shit happens.

Red dots bloom if you turn them up too high.  It is less noticeable out in the sunlight, but in a house or in low light, you need to be more picky on what brightness level you have them at.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Weaver V3.  1-3x20 LPV.  Works really well has Japanese glass and is pretty nice for 160-180 dollars.

Quoted:
Why do these tiny variable scopes all weigh so much. I don't think I have seen one that weighs less than a pound.
The above mentioned V3 weighs in at 8 oz before mount.  I'll weight mine with the cheap UTG QD mount later and get a weight.  I'd guess total weight is closer to 1 lb. maybe a bit less.  Most of the 1-4 or 1-6 out there is going to be in the 1lb range before adding a mount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the manufacturers try to reinforce them a bit to allow them to be more durable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I own the bushnell 1-4x AR optics illuminated reticle, and the sig romeo5 (also the holosun 403). I have astigmatism, and can usually reduce the blurriness or starburst effect by turning down the brightness. The 1-4x definitely has a more defined reticle to me illuminated or not. But it's significantly heavier, and the illumination isn't enough on the brightest days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
*fidgets uncomfortably in Known Industry Shill*

Hey mister... psst... PSSST hey over here!

Hey mister, can I interest you in a lifetime warranty 1-6x with a patented reticle for $289?

No it's not used, it's brand new! Do I look like guy with Rolex watches in his overcoat? C'mon mister...

View Quote
Is it daylight bright?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is it daylight bright?
View Quote
For a daylight bright reticle in a 1-4x scope, you'll want to look at the Leupold VX-R or Mark AR series with the Firedot reticle, or the Steiner P4Xi -- but you'll be shopping in the ~$500 range.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks PA_Mike and drewthebrave.   I've been eyeing the Steiner and probably end up waiting til Black Friday to try and snag one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
*fidgets uncomfortably in Known Industry Shill*

Hey mister... psst... PSSST hey over here!

Hey mister, can I interest you in a lifetime warranty 1-6x with a patented reticle for $289?

No it's not used, it's brand new! Do I look like guy with Rolex watches in his overcoat? C'mon mister...

View Quote
How would those compare to the Vortex Strike eagl 1-6? Pretty similar besides the  different reticle?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#20]
The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm with Firedot SPR reticle weighs only 9.6 ounces.  The VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm with Firedot SPR with 30mm main tube (stronger, sturdier, better glass) is a bit heavier at 11.5 ounces.  These scopes have a daylight bright reticle that is motion-activated.  You leave it on 24/7/365 like an Aimpoint.   With typical use batteries last a year or longer.  My 3-9x40mm Patrol's first battery went three years.  It still had life, but I replaced it anyway.  The reticle flashes when it is time to change the battery.

While these scopes do not go down to "true" 1x (none actually do), they purposefully stop a bit above that.  I don't know why, but I suspect that it is because many budget or mid-priced scopes that try to get really close to 1x have a lot of very distracting fish eye distortion at "1x".  The Strike Eagle was notable for that when I examined one.  These scopes do not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Very, very, VERY similar.

For example, you'll note that both optics contain a spare CR2032 battery hidden in the windage turret cap in case your illumination dies out in the field. Draw your own conclusions from that.
View Quote
Very cool, thank you for the info. I have been looking at getting a scope for my Ar and have been debating one this style over a red dot type scope. Can't make up my mind
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top